Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Tips for Saving Money

Tips for Saving Money

Old May 23, 19, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Tips for Saving Money

I'm always interested in tips for saving money when traveling.
Ones that I always try are:

- Look for restaurants that are both busy with locals and away from major tourist streets. Just going one or two streets away from major tourist sites can save you a lot. If it's busy with locals, it must be reasonable too.

- Always look on Uber. Grab etc. before booking a taxi. They can offer pretty hefty discounts with certainty on price.

- Mobile data is a must when traveling. How do you know where good restaurants are located when out and about. How do you know the best routes by public transport?

Does anyone have any more to add?
Old May 25, 19, 11:31 am

Herewego Maps app

I have used this app in offline mode in Israel and it did show public transport options.
Old May 26, 19, 3:46 pm

I would say in the USA downloading the app for fast food places will often get you discounts or something added For free
Old May 27, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Keep data roaming off; don't buy stupid souvenirs; don't have kids (yet).

The third one is more of a fun one lol.
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:07 pm

My tips are:
- use public transportation where possible.
- Get a hotel with a fridge and/or free breakfast. Fill the fridge with breakfast and snack items.
- Accommodation costs can vary widely. Use Hotwire or Priceline depending on how particular you are about the hotel you get.
- Be flexible about where and when you travel. Get to know prices and be ready to jump on deals when you see them.
Splendiz likes this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 5:43 am

Use public transportation. Find that I became more street smart because of it.
Also budget ahead of time. Not to be strictly followed, but kept me from spending too much.

Last edited by Lifulty; Jun 20, 19 at 5:44 am Reason: characters appeared between street and smart
Old Jun 25, 19, 3:51 am

Make ticket order for 3-4 months before your flight. Book AirBnb
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
While I was forced to delete a SPAM post as the moderator, there was a silver lining: there was actually a semi useful tip.

So now posting as general member with a tip, if you don't mind moving

This is something I used to do back in my warrior days on the roads while trying to maximize points and prices for my employer:

Hotels have different rates on different days, particularly for the weekend when business folks are home and many hotels drop rates to attract weekend leisure travelers.

So during the week I'd stay at a Hampton Inn, for example, and on a Friday I would move to a Hilton, which had a lower rate for the weekend. Nicer hotel and saved my employer a few dollars (not that they appreciated it as I found out later).

Of course not everyone likes to pack up all their things and potentially spend vacation time to save a few bucks ......
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:17 am
Suspended

The trick with restaurants doesn't work in Sweden where everything is expensive
Old Aug 5, 19, 7:22 am

If possible, check the dates of your trip and see if the price would go down if you tweaked the dates a bit.
Old Aug 12, 19, 7:38 am

#1 rule: Use public transportation where possible.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:00 am

Thumbs up Travel Hacks That can save you tons of Money

* Always try to travel on non busy days . (Try to Avoid long week ends, week end that start school vacations) Air tickets are high demand on these days.

*Try to pay your accommodation on daily or alternatively so if you not happy with the place always you can change the place.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Just because you're "on vacation" doesn't mean you have to spend uncontrollably. It blows my mind how many people can't afford to go, because they are bad with money. To compensate for it, they "splurge" and buy a bunch of stuff they don't need to. Repeat cycle.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:06 am
Original Poster

I'm also a great advocate of traveling in the shoulder season. I don't know why anyone wants to tour most parts Europe or North America in July or August - it's far too hot and too busy. May to June and September are much quieter and usually have very pleasant weather. If you have kids, it's a different story - but I know lots of people without who travel then.

Originally Posted by Janae Powell View Post
The trick with restaurants doesn't work in Sweden where everything is expensive
Of course, everything is relative.
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
One trick to saving money is to make a separate account that I put my travel money into. I have a line in my monthly budget spreadsheet for travel savings and keep track of trip costs in another trip planning spreadsheet. Anything not spent gets rolled over to the next trip, although I've now gotten pretty good at estimating how much I use that it isn't a whole lot.

Last edited by bitcohen; Sep 4, 19 at 10:06 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: