Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Airports with no / bad public transportation to be AVOIDED?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club

There is a thread listing walkable airports such that travellers can save money not taking expensive airport trains, but I need a list of airports to AVOID for budget travellers because they are in the middle of nowhere with basically nonexistent transportation.

For example, last year I attempted to visit Alexandria by flying to HBE. There was basically no transportation at the airport. It only worked as I booked private transportation beforehand. This is the standard type of airports to be avoided by travellers.

If you know any airports which are not accessible with any public transport at all (not counting taxis or privately-operated expensive airport coaches) and not in the city centre, please reply here such that we can avoid them.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Ryanair style airports, such as Frankfurt-Hahn (which is actually nowhere near Frankfurt) and Memmingen are pretty bad.

I've heard Stewart International (SWF which is meant to be "near" New York) is also pretty bad.
Antonio8069 and trooper like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:45 pm

Ryanair used to call Katowice airport Krakow (Katowice) airport. In fact, Katowice is still often used as a gateway to Krakow.

The problem is Katowice airport is in the middle of nowhere and is very far away from Krakow.

Even from Katowice city centre, Katowice airport is 60 minutes away by bus and Krakow airport is... 60 too!

Katowice Airport to Krakow takes one hour and forty five minutes by direct bus. Though at least there is still a direct one to take I guess.
It takes just twenty minutes to get from Krakow airport to the centre by train.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
When I visited Quebec City a few years ago, I found that there was very little public transport between YQB and downtown. What there was seemed to be timed for airport workers.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Neither NRT (Tokyo) or KEF (Reykjavik) were made for budget travellers.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jbjelloid
Unless I win the lottery, it' unlikely (especially since I don't play the lottery) I would splurge for expensive Iceland @:-)

Now NRT is a whole another ball of wax IMHO.

I took the train and metro to get to Tokyo, and IIRC it set me back $10 US and about hour and a half of my life. Same on return, except I gave myself more time in case I got off at the wrong spot, but that time wasn't wasted as I spent it in ANA lounge with my lifetime MM status with UA (and having an Int'l flight).
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
👍
The one time I caught the local train into Tokyo, I didn’t get a seat for the first hour. Tough to handle after a trans pacific flight. Since then I’ve been taking the Keisei Skyliner express train. Still willing to give the local train another try though. For KEF there is a local bus for 1500ISK or $12ish USD. Still a little spendy IMO.
CKA1 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:13 pm

I remember taking a bus from NRT to my hotel in Ikebukuro. It was around $60 R/T, but it took a really long time.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Ryanair style airports, such as Frankfurt-Hahn (which is actually nowhere near Frankfurt) and Memmingen are pretty bad.

I've heard Stewart International (SWF which is meant to be "near" New York) is also pretty bad.
Add the airport in Chantilly which is far from Paris.

In some places the public transportation is very infrequent, such as GRU, or only operates during very limited hours, such as SAV.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
��
The one time I caught the local train into Tokyo, I didn’t get a seat for the first hour. Tough to handle after a trans pacific flight. Since then I’ve been taking the Keisei Skyliner express train. Still willing to give the local train another try though. For KEF there is a local bus for 1500ISK or $12ish USD. Still a little spendy IMO.
Since I usually stay in Ueno, I prefer the Keisei Skyliner. After spending all the time and miles/money to get to Japan in the first place, the price doesn't seem unreasonable to me for the speed and convenience of getting to my hotel after the TPAC flight. Though once when I was activating my JR railpass on arrival I took the N'EX since it's included - then just hopped the Yamanote line over to Ueno.

My home airport, DAY, doesn't really have any public transit options. There may be a city bus service but if so, it's extremely limited. Not that there is much of a reason to come here anyway!
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this a joke?
Griping about Narita when there are lots of options to get to central Tokyo for 1,000yen
(And half price or nothing for kids)
That’s 20 US cents a mile. Takes an hour.
As well as trains
Information | THE ACCESS NARITA
&
Expressway Bus: Tokyo Sta. - Narita Airport of 1000 yen | Tokyo Shuttle | Keisei Bus

My contribution (especially since Kent International Airport in Manston is no longer in use) is San Javier Airport In Murcia, Spain.
Bus frequency is a LOT better than it used to be, but still not great
http://interbusmurcia.es/wp-content/...ia-04-2019.pdf
Am not griping about the cost of the bus, after all it’s 5Euros for the 28 mile journey which is... wait for it... 20 US cents a mile.
I understand that this airport is just about to be moved somewhere even more inconvenient and less interesting.
pudgym29, Antonio8069 and mapleg like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
two corrections and additions

Both require qualification. NRT is part of the JR Pass and KEF has public transit buses from the CBD for regular prices.

My two are in upstate NY:
i) OGS - Both Allegiant and UA operate flights.Listed as Ottawa on the Allegiant site!No public transit but I figure I can get there on VIA (Brockville) and a taxi (driver needs a passport!);
ii) SYR - I took a taxi but a better option is to stay at the local Aloft and take the shuttle. (Public transit takes 1-2 hours).
Old May 30, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Both require qualification. NRT is part of the JR Pass and KEF has public transit buses from the CBD for regular prices.
Obviously not a joke then. I’m really going to have this explained to me.

OK. So if one can get into the centre of Tokyo from NRT for 1,000 yen by bus (Ginza - 1 hour) or by train for 1,380yen (68 minutes to Shimbashi)
Why would anyone who is budget minded want to activate a JR Pass for travel to or from Narita?
The JR Pass is roughly 29,000yen for 7 days which comes out at about 4,140yen a day. Only reason to do so is if your stay is actually 7/8 days or less.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:03 am

The JR Pass is excellent value if you travel long distance.

A return ticket from TYO to Kyoto or Osaka is about the same price as the 7 day pass. Add a return to Narita and you're saving.

It's not good value at all if you stay in the Tokyo region.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelDream
The JR Pass is excellent value if you travel long distance.

A return ticket from TYO to Kyoto or Osaka is about the same price as the 7 day pass. Add a return to Narita and you're saving.

It's not good value at all if you stay in the Tokyo region.
Doesn’t explain why a budget traveller would squander a day of travelling using the JR Pass for a trip to or from Narita - something they can do for 1,000yen.

NRT does not belong in this thread. Period!
pudgym29, shefgab and Antonio8069 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.