Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Budget vacation in Tahiti with $600 flight !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget vacation in Tahiti with $600 flight !

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Bad assumption @:-)

ex US prices are very often higher, sometimes much higher.
funny thing is on some Australia forums people say why are fares ex Australia more expensive than to Australia.

I think the reality is at certain times of the year, not the same in each direction, there are some crazy fares.

Air NZ launched Chicago/Auckland nonstop a few months back with roughly USD$500 return fares. Now air nz are not the best airline, but nonstop for that distance for USD$500 with some sort of very basic full service !!!!!!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I have been to Fiji and do not have any pull to go again ,
plus I have been to Australia 3 times and when I go again it will be to see friends and travel around Queensland.

Cook islands seem interesting so far except for the Dengue right now , simplier than Tahiti , maybe a little less cost , and good bragging rights because no one I know ever went there !

But pulling up the pack for island groups is Ishigaki island in Japan , tropical and looks interesting with some close by smaller islands.

Yeah Hawaii would be easier and cheap , but I have been there a couple times , and it's close enough to LA for a long weekend when I am older and it's harder to get around.......

But always interested in other ideas , thanks
Fiji is awesome, with the most friendly people anywhere. They have resorts from 1 to 5 star & everything in between. Maybe you went & stayed at the wrong place ?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Fiji is just not for me , the resort we stayed at was nice , but I really did not get into the local vibe..,

Hey there are lots of other places to see
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Fiji is just not for me , the resort we stayed at was nice , but I really did not get into the local vibe..,

Hey there are lots of other places to see
I would agree with you that Fiji is probably the least "local vibe" of all the islands I've been to in the region.

I havent been to Tahiti, but have been to New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Cook Islands, both Samoas and Tonga. All are different, all have beaches and a variety of accomodation.
I think Samoa was the most "local" of all of them.

Budget wise for spending $, Fiji>Vanuatu>Cook Islands>Am.Samoa>Samoa>New Caledonia>Tonga
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
funny thing is on some Australia forums people say why are fares ex Australia more expensive than to Australia.
Indeed, why let facts get in the way of argumets
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I had mixed feelings about Fiji. I stayed at a place near a so-so beach around Nadi and did daytrips. That main island has a certain charm and I did the bus ride to Suva one day, past the sugarcane fields with the mini-trains. Suva looked like it was frozen in the 70s.

Also did the island-hopping trip, which got to what a lot of others were really there for, i.e. the castaway experience in the Mamanucas or Yasawas. The Mamanucas especially looked like "Gilligan's Island" islands and would have a resort or two per island at varying comfort levels, with beaches.

A trip like that could be relaxing and make for a good honeymoon, I s'pose, but I dunno about the uniquness or how much of the culture you get or what the plus-value is versus going to Negril or Punta Cana or Tulum (popular places for that from ATL).

The problem in the populated areas is political tension between ethnic Polynesians and Indian-Fijians (like golfer Vijay Singh). Nadi wasn't the greatest town to look at or walk through.
LAXlocal likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would agree with you that Fiji is probably the least "local vibe" of all the islands I've been to in the region.

I havent been to Tahiti, but have been to New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Cook Islands, both Samoas and Tonga. All are different, all have beaches and a variety of accomodation.
I think Samoa was the most "local" of all of them.

Budget wise for spending $, Fiji>Vanuatu>Cook Islands>Am.Samoa>Samoa>New Caledonia>Tonga
Do you mean Fiji is the most expensive or the other way?
Old May 6, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by freedom2020
That is what the > would indicate @:-)
Old May 8, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Its obviously going to be personal, because Fiji can be very expensive, or not, because it does have more budget-friendly accomodation/activities than the other islands due to a backpacker scene. But yes, in my experience, Fiji seemed to be more expensive than the other islands I listed for comparable comfort/amenities
Old May 8, 2019, 10:28 am

Thank you. Just try to clarify. ">" could mean "preferred" or "better"
muji likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:43 am

Thank you. Just try to clarify. ">" could mean "preferred" or "better"
Well, since were talking "spending $" the ">" takes on a mathematical meaning, hence ">" would be interpreted as "greater than" sign.

Written as former math and physics major (for one year before switching to photography).
Old May 19, 2019, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its obviously going to be personal, because Fiji can be very expensive, or not, because it does have more budget-friendly accomodation/activities than the other islands due to a backpacker scene. But yes, in my experience, Fiji seemed to be more expensive than the other islands I listed for comparable comfort/amenities
I also give the Brits some credit for favoring/supporting the Commonwealth countries.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Does the Cook islands have a departure tax ?
And do you need a Visa before you go or do you get it on arrival ?

Thanks
Old May 24, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the Cook islands have a departure tax ?
And do you need a Visa before you go or do you get it on arrival ?

Thanks
Travel.state.gov has the info under their New Zealand section:

Cook Islands: Cook Islands is self-governing in free association with New Zealand. U.S. citizen visitors do not require an entry permit for stays up to 31 days. Your passport needs to be valid for at least six months past the arrival date in the Cook Islands.
This page says the departure taxes are included in the tickets now. Back when I went you had to pay it in cash (also for NZ) and the Kiwis were saying it made 'em look a bit like a third-world country, but they got that fixed, apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.