Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Mystery travel agent who issues cheap tickets hours before flight. How is it possible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mystery travel agent who issues cheap tickets hours before flight. How is it possible

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

A friend of mine told me about this travel agent (TA). The friend is buying tickets from this agent since 2 years.

The friend usually contacts the TA month or two in advance and the TA gives him a flight itinerary with HK (Holding Confirmed) category/number. These tickets are much cheaper than the ones we see online, usually 10-15% cheaper.
  • The TA does actual issuing of tickets 12 hours - 2 hours or so before the travel. The TA says he issues the tickets for every client (who travel on the same day), at the same time (i.e. issues tickets of the whole group at once).

I want to understand what kind of business model this is. The TA says he is an authorized travel agent.
  • The TA did not explain to me why he waits for so long and issues tickets a few hours before the flight to get the special cheap ticket price.
  • TA says he does not contact airline at the last minute and the tickets are already confirmed.
  • TA says he does something in his "system" to issue the tickets (without contacting airline). He did not explain further.

I don't understand why he does it this way. Do you know why some travel agents give HK number months in advance but issue tickets a few hours before the flight?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: MP, BR
Some more information would be helpful. Where is this TA based? What fare class does the ticket show up as? Are tickets readily available or on selected dates?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
Im very curious about this, please share more about the TA
adpucci likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:16 pm

One possible scenario is that this "agency" is actually booking using stolen credit card information or possibly fraudulently acquired frequent flyer points. They would not want to commit the payment and ticketing until the last possible point in time to minimize the possibility of fraud detection. Maybe it is not this but I would want more visibility before I purchased tickets or hotels via this method.
MSPeconomist and ginmqi like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xooz
One possible scenario is that this "agency" is actually booking using stolen credit card information or possibly fraudulently acquired frequent flyer points. They would not want to commit the payment and ticketing until the last possible point in time to minimize the possibility of fraud detection. Maybe it is not this but I would want more visibility before I purchased tickets or hotels via this method.
Agreed. However, I imagine OP's friend would have had issues at some point during their two years of purchasing travel from this TA if fraudulent card info was indeed used.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chromie25
Some more information would be helpful. Where is this TA based? What fare class does the ticket show up as? Are tickets readily available or on selected dates?
In Taiwan.

I'm not sure but Economy class.

I am told that at a few times people could not get confirmed tickets on time from this TA. In such cases, TA had to refund money for the new ticket bought by the passengers.

Last edited by flying_seek; Nov 18, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
That'd be a disaster for Intl travel. Suppose the TA cant get tickets and you end up losing a boatload in last minute flights or costs associated with changing dates for the whole itinerary.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:22 pm

Wholesaler

My guess is the travel agent has a wholesale agreement with the airlines.
adpucci and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jmdflyer
My guess is the travel agent has a wholesale agreement with the airlines.
I recall "Bucket Shop" several decades ago. legitimate tickets, had to be paper tickets. Apparently the airline would give the agency ticket stock to fill out, and the trip had to be booked by the airline agent representative. (not normal reservations).
adpucci likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by flying_seek
In Taiwan.

I'm not sure but Economy class.

I am told that at a few times people could not get confirmed tickets on time from this TA. In such cases, TA had to refund money for the new ticket bought by the passengers.
As someone who has lived in Europe + the US + Asia, I can confirm that in Asia quite a few markets have travel agencies that do similar things. When I lived in HK I could often find much better deals (i.e. lower price and higher fare class) when booking with a TA versus online; I still occasionally use a TA in San Francisco who can perform similar miracles. It is my understanding that they have the ability to put a hold on inventory (say 9 economy seats booked in K class), and release it back if unable to sell. If you have an ExpertFlyer subscription, you can see that there are often big differences between seat maps and load counts for Asian airlines. FWIW I believe that NWA played this game, too, back in the day.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, Virgin, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
FWIW I believe that NWA played this game, too, back in the day.
Was Dr Dre implicated?
whimsey21, Gomie, florin and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:53 pm

Go TA

I say more power to the TA. It's high time passengers got a fair deal. When hotels can offer rooms on a cancellable basis if you are willing to pay a premium why can't the airline industry do the same. yes, I know about flexible fares but in most cases they cost an aram and a leg.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:50 pm
Original Member

Years ago I regularly purchase consolidator tickets from legitimate travel agents. Do these sill exist? Where?

Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by pgary
Years ago I regularly purchase consolidator tickets from legitimate travel agents. Do these sill exist? Where?

Thanks.
They still exist in ethnic communities where there is a large number of recent immigrants. However, deals can only be found for fares going to the home country/region of these immigrants.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:13 am

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
As someone who tracks airline and car rental prices more or less for fun - another wrinkle is the HK combined with dynamic pricing.

I don't know about other people's experiences, but the dynamic pricing many airlines use today is such that the cheapest tickets are often 1-2 weeks before departure...occasionally even closer than that. Combined with guaranteed seat, this could give the TA a way to generate delta between paid price and actual inventory cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.