Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-KEF $200 RT WOW Air

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

JFK-KEF $200 RT WOW Air

Wow Air has flights as low $99.99 each way from JFK to KEF starting 27th April. Many dates available except for the summer months. This is their WOW Basic fare which includes only a personal item 17X13X10 inches weighing a maximum of 10 kg. Many other origins have similar fares. Good fares to many other destination in Europe as well.

Can be booked on Orbitz. Their webiste wow.us dosplays fares for all dates.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:41 pm

Make sure you're flexible

It sounds as if the flights are fine, but there are a lot of delays, and the airline has little or no ability to put people on planes from other airlines, or to give people refunds. So, it's important to avoid using them if you're flat broke or on a super tight schedule. You have to be able to survive getting stuck at either end, or in Iceland, for a few days.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by allbell
It sounds as if the flights are fine, but there are a lot of delays, and the airline has little or no ability to put people on planes from other airlines, or to give people refunds. So, it's important to avoid using them if you're flat broke or on a super tight schedule. You have to be able to survive getting stuck at either end, or in Iceland, for a few days.
I am sorry, but that is mostly BAD advice @:-)

Airline certainly does have ability to give refunds, but of course the cheap airfare refund would not come close to trying to buy a new ticket with no advance booking.

It makes sense to not use WOW if you are on a super tight schedule, but if you have little money, that is a great reason to go with them, as you may not be able to fly otherwise with a more expensive airline.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Airline certainly does have ability to give refunds, but of course the cheap airfare refund would not come close to trying to buy a new ticket with no advance booking.
I took that to mean instant refunds as the broke person would need the funds right away if they wish to purchase a new ticket...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:53 am

If
Originally Posted by EmailKid

It makes sense to not use WOW if you are on a super tight schedule, but if you have little money, that is a great reason to go with them, as you may not be able to fly otherwise with a more expensive airline.
If you're a regular person: go read the reviews of Wow elsewhere. I know that people are more likely to post reviews when they've had a bad experience, but Wow seems to be comparable to Wizz. There are a ton of reviews from Wow passengers who either were stuck for a few days or had to buy a ticket on another airline to get to their destination. There are no recent ones like that for Wizz. One of the problems seems to be that Wow only has one flight per day on a lot of roots. It doesn't have great options if something goes wrong.

It's also possible that the stranded people booked through travel agencies; maybe Wow has an easier time putting passengers on other airlines' flights if it handled the booking.

On the other hand: the reviews all talk about the flight itself being safe and fine. So, I think it's fine to fly Wow, just not to use them for a funeral, a job interview or a wedding without a ton of padding.

If you're with Wow: I think the solution would be just to emphasize that part of the reason the tickets are cheap is the factors that lead to delays. Strongly encourage passengers to build in wiggle room and buy trip cancellation insurance.

Essentially, Wow is shifting a lot of the cost of dealing with flight problems to the passengers, just as it shifts the cost of paying for water to the passengers. I think that's completely fair; Wow just needs to disclose that and talk more about the insurance options.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:55 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by allbell
If

If you're a regular person: go read the reviews of Wow elsewhere. I know that people are more likely to post reviews when they've had a bad experience, but Wow seems to be comparable to Wizz. There are a ton of reviews from Wow passengers who either were stuck for a few days or had to buy a ticket on another airline to get to their destination. There are no recent ones like that for Wizz.
One of the problems seems to be that Wow only has one flight per day on a lot of roots. It doesn't have great options if something goes wrong.

It's also possible that the stranded people booked through travel agencies; maybe Wow has an easier time putting passengers on other airlines' flights if it handled the booking.

On the other hand: the reviews all talk about the flight itself being safe and fine. So, I think it's fine to fly Wow, just not to use them for a funeral, a job interview or a wedding without a ton of padding.

If you're with Wow: I think the solution would be just to emphasize that part of the reason the tickets are cheap is the factors that lead to delays. Strongly encourage passengers to build in wiggle room and buy trip cancellation insurance.

Essentially, Wow is shifting a lot of the cost of dealing with flight problems to the passengers, just as it shifts the cost of paying for water to the passengers. I think that's completely fair; Wow just needs to disclose that and talk more about the insurance options.
That is more reasonable. But WOW is not the only airline that has only one daily flight on many routes. I did not check, but it is possible they have no interline agreement with other airlines that would enable them to put pax on them in case of IrOps. And with cheap fares they are relying for their profit by getting the planes full, which of course creates a problem is a flight is canceled or delayed - there are no seats to put pax on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.