Parking at a Walmart and taking Uber to airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking at a Walmart and taking Uber to airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Plat, Lifetime Skyclub
This doesn't help the OP, but there are businesses who have used this as an advertising tool. There is a Mercedes dealer in Minneapolis, located close to MSP, who will give you free shuttle ride to MSP, service and store your car, and then pick you up again when you return. Of course you need to buy/own the right kind of car...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by travelhive
This doesn't help the OP, but there are businesses who have used this as an advertising tool. There is a Mercedes dealer in Minneapolis, located close to MSP, who will give you free shuttle ride to MSP, service and store your car, and then pick you up again when you return. Of course you need to buy/own the right kind of car...
Ever priced Benz Dealer shop prices ?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: SQ, GA, QF
How about street parking? I did it before in Sydney, Australia. I parked my car on the street for 3 nights and then walked to the airport.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by rizayosia
How about street parking? I did it before in Sydney, Australia. I parked my car on the street for 3 nights and then walked to the airport.
In many cities in the US, parking on the street for more than 72 hours can potentially lead to a parking ticket, especially if anyone nearby notices. It also increases the risk of the car being noticed by a potential car thief -- of course depending on how much the car is worth, how easy it is to steal, etc.
pudgym29 and rizayosia like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:07 pm

“His name was Bubba, he was from Texas and he needed a loan, so he walked into a bank in New York City and asked for the loan officer. He told the loan officer that he was going to Paris for an International Redneck Festival for two weeks and needed to borrow $5,000, and that he was not a depositor of the bank.

The bank officer told him that the bank would need some form of security for the loan, so the Redneck handed over the keys to a new Ferrari. The car was parked on the street in front of the bank.

The Redneck produced the title and everything checked out. The loan officer agreed to hold the car as collateral for the loan and apologized for having to charge 12% interest.

Later, the bank’s president and its officers all enjoyed a good laugh at the Redneck from the Texas for using a $250,000 Ferrari as collateral for a $5,000 loan. An employee of the bank then drove the Ferrari into the bank’s private underground garage and parked it.

Two weeks later, the Redneck returned, repaid the $5,000 and the interest of 23.07. The loan officer said, “Sir, we are very happy to have had your business, and this transaction has worked out very nicely, but we are a little puzzled.

While you were away, we checked you out on Dunn & Bradstreet and found that you are a distinguished alumni from Texas A & M, a highly sophisticated investor and multi-millionaire with real estate and financial interests all over the world. Your investments include a large number of wind turbines around Sweetwater, Texas. What puzzles us is, why would you bother to borrow $5,000?”

The good ‘ole boy replied, “Where else in New York City can I park my car for two weeks for only $23.07 and expect it to be there when I return?”

Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
In that case you should also be concerned about the check-in agent, the baggage handlers, the hotel employees at your destination, and probably twenty or so other people who will have a combination of (i) your name, (ii) your address, (iii) other contact details, (iv) your dates of travel, etc.
I've never thought to worry about this, but there is the matter of opportunity -- a dishonest cabbie just has to drive back to where he picked up the traveler. He knows the way, after all, and could conceivably have discerned that the house is now empty. Everyone else would have to make a special effort and take a chance.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
If I lived in an apartment building, I'd call a cab without a second thought. But we live in a house. And it was drilled into my head from a very young age that you never call a cab to the house when going to the train station/airport. I'm sure that will be overly cautious for many people, but that's the rationale.
Just chit chat with the driver..."I hope my husband doesn't get drunk and decide to do home repair while I'm gone again. The window trim from last time is all crooked, plus he cut the tip of his finger off with that stupid saw of his!" or "Last time my cousin house sat his great dane peed all over the place - my house smelled like a zoo when I got back."
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:41 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by boboqui

The good ‘ole boy replied, “Where else in New York City can I park my car for two weeks for only $23.07 and expect it to be there when I return?”

Saw that punchline a mile away, especialy cosidering the theme of the thread.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by smc333
Just chit chat with the driver..."I hope my husband doesn't get drunk and decide to do home repair while I'm gone again. The window trim from last time is all crooked, plus he cut the tip of his finger off with that stupid saw of his!" or "Last time my cousin house sat his great dane peed all over the place - my house smelled like a zoo when I got back."
I use variants like yours : I and my wife in the cab to airport and I chat with the driver...then casually drop" you know today's kids, don't want to get up to drive us to the airport.."
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
If I lived in an apartment building, I'd call a cab without a second thought. But we live in a house. And it was drilled into my head from a very young age that you never call a cab to the house when going to the train station/airport. I'm sure that will be overly cautious for many people, but that's the rationale.
I've never heard that before. I guess I understand the concern, but seems a little paranoid. It's quite common for more than one person or even family to live in the same house. Or you could be a visiting relative on your way back home. It seems a stretch to think a taxi driver will automatically think they can rob your home just because you are riding to the airport.

I'd say if you are worried, just say you are leaving your brother's house after a visit, and he is a police officer on duty at the moment... problem solved.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've never heard that before. I guess I understand the concern, but seems a little paranoid. It's quite common for more than one person or even family to live in the same house. Or you could be a visiting relative on your way back home. It seems a stretch to think a taxi driver will automatically think they can rob your home just because you are riding to the airport.

I'd say if you are worried, just say you are leaving your brother's house after a visit, and he is a police officer on duty at the moment... problem solved.
Exactly. And how many people know you left, like the other guy said? Mailman, neighbors, people in the airline reservations department. People at the hotel where you're going. Been watching the movie Home Alone?

I'd say if you're that worried about leaving your house in a cab, maybe you shouldn't.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:28 pm

That’s a very cool idea, I guess you’ve done your studying and found that walmart allows this (not surprising if they do since they allow people to sleep in their cars in their parking lot, at least I heard that not 100% if it’s true or still true). Although I’d park in the back corner to avoid getting your car dinged and obviously clean the car out
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I wouldn't do it. How much do you save? If it's the security issue, then hail it from a block away.

We Uber to the airport from my wife's work, but it's $12 vs $40 and secured/private.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:59 pm

There are many practical and cheap off-site parking options in most downtowns. I'm assuming you don't mind a small fee in exchange for a 100% guarantee of not getting towed? Only downside is there is no guarantee that it's safe from someone breaking your window, but if you don't leave things in plain sight it should be fine.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by emmaFoster
There are many practical and cheap off-site parking options in most downtowns.
Not sure I'd agree with that one... Many smaller towns I've spent time in don't have any secure parking options in town. And major cities, it won't be cheap. And most downtowns are not in close proximity to airports.

Maybe you can give an example? I would expect parking at the airport would be around the same price as parking in downtowns (if there is an option downtown).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.