Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Parking at a Walmart and taking Uber to airport to save money

Parking at a Walmart and taking Uber to airport to save money

Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Wow. Overnight parking is for travelers in RV’s or the like and the end game for Walmart is shopping revenue. This idea is a new low imho.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Self-driving cars will solve this dilemma - get it to take you to the airport, and then just sent it home. Whistle it back on return, just like calling a dog.
Kohoutek and MiscMel70 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
But what about those people (like me and my other half) who don't have anyone to take them to/from the airport? I can see the poster's rationale if that is the case.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
But what about those people (like me and my other half) who don't have anyone to take them to/from the airport? I can see the poster's rationale if that is the case.
Um, call a taxi?
farci and CPMaverick like this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:30 am

OP - would you care to mention the specific airport?

I know in some cities public transportation is a well-kept secret, yet indeed they have it. You might find you have an alternative with it you didn't even know?

In other cities, public transportation gets an undeserved bad rap, yet is very functional. I know lots of people in Florida will insist "Nobody rides Tri-Rail. It is always late." But I've used it quite a few times from various cities along the line to MIA, PBI and FLL. Successfully. Also have moved my body easily and safely about San Diego and Los Angeles, in spite of some dire warnings. It has been a while, but the last time I rode it, the Senior Rate for wherever I wanted to go was thrifty 75.

And another possibility - some hotels near an airport offer a "park and sleep" rate. For one night's lodging, you can also leave a vehicle in their parking area for the duration of your trip. I did this in Portland, OR where the deal was good for up to 14 nights. Again, a while ago, but maybe could work for you. Particularly if you are actually live quite a ways from the airport and a hotel night before or after would work well for you. These types of hotels also usually have shuttle to the airport and even breakfast sometimes.
Gnopps and pudgym29 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Um, call a taxi?
If I lived in an apartment building, I'd call a cab without a second thought. But we live in a house. And it was drilled into my head from a very young age that you never call a cab to the house when going to the train station/airport. I'm sure that will be overly cautious for many people, but that's the rationale.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
If I lived in an apartment building, I'd call a cab without a second thought. But we live in a house. And it was drilled into my head from a very young age that you never call a cab to the house when going to the train station/airport. I'm sure that will be overly cautious for many people, but that's the rationale.
I'm cautious too, and I was very hesitant the first time I called an airport taxi to my house. But I've found that if I let my neighbors know to keep a general eye out for suspicious behavior and if I take note of the driver's info, I can mitigate many of the risks.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
If you're paranoid about the taxi driver, just call the taxi to an address that is {FILL IN THE BLANK DISTANCE THAT YOU'D BE COMFORTABLE WALKING WITH YOUR LUGGAGE}. That seems pretty straightforward.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by pshuang
If you're paranoid about the taxi driver, just call the taxi to an address that is {FILL IN THE BLANK DISTANCE THAT YOU'D BE COMFORTABLE WALKING WITH YOUR LUGGAGE}. That seems pretty straightforward.
I agree with your concept, but some details could keep one from the option. Right now it is -4˚ (F) outside where I am, and roughly a block walk through some snow and ice even to my next door neighbor (who isn't home so I couldn't ask to wait inside there). With prior addresses I've lived even further from the next address.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by pt flyer
The parking lot at our local Walmart often looks a little like an RV park during the summer with the low-cost campers circling their rigs in an unused section. We live in an absolutely gorgeous area with beautiful parks, and here they are saving money by being in the Walmart parking lot..... Price and Value are not always the same thing.

The secret is not to be asking people on this forum, but to be talking with the manager at your local Walmart. What are their policies? Is there a particular part of the lot where they would like you to park? Can you give them an emergency contact number? How badly would you feel if something happens to your car?
This. Talk to the GM at the Walmart in question. Ask them if they mind, or if they would have your car towed.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In that case you should also be concerned about the check-in agent, the baggage handlers, the hotel employees at your destination, and probably twenty or so other people who will have a combination of (i) your name, (ii) your address, (iii) other contact details, (iv) your dates of travel, etc.
pvn likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP, You can do it and often when: (_____________Fill in the blanks ) will happen ! I think those days are gone when I used to park (15 years ago) and taken the free hotel shuttle.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Still, even if you confirmed that the store would allow you to do it, I'd also wonder how much you're saving to make it worth taking the extra step and hassle of doing this.
Well, if he's talking about a week, and the least expensive on-airport parking is $18/day, that's a saving of over $100. Not much of a saving if the car gets towed (at least it would be safe then), but substantial if it survives the week intact and in place.

Of course if the Walmart is only a few miles from the airport, the airport may well be small enough to have parking for $5/day.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:31 pm

Smile Cap'n

Another thought is to park in a hospital lot.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by LondonElite
....loads of shady yoots who are probably crack dealers.
Thinking of running for office in Alabama?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.