Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive luggage

Inexpensive luggage

Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Inexpensive luggage

I just posted a good luggage deal in Travel Products. Traveler's Choice - $52.99 w/free shipping.

Romelle
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:05 am

Vipon also often offers deals. For example. You can get this 3 pc set https://www.amazon.com/Coolife-Lugga.../dp/B01GNMMQBO from Amazon for $29.99 with coupon code SD76BG8I. It normally sells for $120. They had another set recently for $10 more that looked even nicer and had a separate pocket for your laptop.
RedHairedLady likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:14 am

Seems like a GREAT price for a well-reviewed luggage, the 3 pieces are just perfect for family. I also found some travel luggage organizers , help me a lot if i go out for travel. The packing cubes just make my luggage hold more stuff and more neat.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If you don't need bags right away, the best time of the year to buy luggage is from about mid-January to the end of February when a lot of big names like Eagle Creek send their discontinued stock to overstock resellers like Sierra Trading Post to clear out the warehouses and have space for new offerings. And if you can't get a discount code to work at STP on top of their clearance prices, you aren't really trying.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
YMMV depending on where you live, but if it's a big metro area with a lot of business travelers I wouldn't rule out thrift stores. Have been amazed at what I've been able to accumulate (name brands and conditions, some recent) at $10-20 a piece. It's easy to just assume that anything that shows up will be overworn or outdated (and some are like that), but I've been amazed at how lightly used some things are.

Of course, the surest way to NOT find something in a thrift store is to be looking for it, so it's a game of regular periodic visits at the most opportune times. My fave is stopping by on Friday on a place nearby with some of the lowest regular prices. Friday is good because the racks are "loaded" from being stocked all week, there's no special sale to draw people, and the weekend crowds haven't descended yet.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RustyC
YMMV depending on where you live, but if it's a big metro area with a lot of business travelers I wouldn't rule out thrift stores.
You mean people buy luggage at places other than thrift stores

Oh ya, there are also garage sales @:-)

Have yet to purchase a piece of luggage anywhere else, and weekly travel was part of my work for three years.

Yes, one brand new non brand and very gently used rollaboard Travelpro, no less Among others.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Let's pat ourselves on our collective backs for keeping things out of landfill!

And people in smaller communities, don't give up. My grandniece just found a near-new good carry-on sized roller bag at a thrift store in sparsely populated eastern Oregon.

Another dodge for good pickings at the big rummage sales is to volunteer to work them. Who do you suppose gets first pick? With the added bonus of feeling good about the volunteering?

My work travel days are long over , but the above sources keep me in cheap knitting yarn for long flights.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
A friend of mine put all his luggage into a green wheelie Bin, wrapped in Plastic Wrap and checked it in. I thought - what a great idea!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:50 am

Anyone know if the coupon code offered above still works?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.