FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budget Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/)
-   -   Questions about greyhound (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel/1761414-questions-about-greyhound.html)

Marissabedard Apr 23, 2016 10:09 am

Questions about greyhound

Just purchased a ticket and forgot to click make password because my boyfriend does not have a photo ID but he has a birth certificate, I called Greyhound customer service and the guy was completely rude and would not put a password on for me and there's a no refund. Will his birth certificate work? I'm beyond stressed out and I can't do anything about it.

CKA1 Apr 23, 2016 6:09 pm

My Memory

I do not think that Greyhound requires a DL to board. After all, people are taking Greyhound because they cannot or don't wish to drive. That includes people who cannot legally hold a license (ie DUI), who are foreigners and don't have a license or people who simply prefer to take an intercity bus as opposed to driving and parking. In my situation, I choose to use a Greyhound bus for the exact reason that I prefer not to drive sometimes.

What exactly are you asking? Does your BF intend to pick up the tickets? In my case, I need to show the CC I've used to pick up the tickets. If he is the one boarding the bus, I am certain his birth certificate or any government issued ID is okay.

If the BF is a minor, he must identify himself to the driver and must follow certain rules, such as sitting in a certain section of the bus. I've also got on buses where they don't even ask for ID. Minors travel all the time, and it's not a big deal. If you are using a debit card to pay, it should not be a problem.

I fail to see why you need to have a password. If you think there will be trouble, go with your BF to the station and make sure he's able to get the tickets.

Chuck

cbn42 Apr 30, 2016 4:20 am

I've only been asked for ID once on Greyhound, out of 10+ trips. Most drivers don't bother. There is always a chance that he will be asked, however. Does he not have any sort of ID, even a school/college card?

calwatch May 2, 2016 12:49 am

Yeah, something with your name that looks official should be sufficient. Otherwise just say you lost it or don't have it.

DonCarpenter May 2, 2016 7:31 pm

You only need an ID to pick up the tickets. Anyone with a ticket can board a bus. The lack of security is 1950s airport level.

cur May 6, 2016 10:39 am

żou do not need id, just your ticket

sadly greyhound has some common sense

EmailKid May 6, 2016 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by cur (Post 26585921)

Not sure if that's a jab at TSA, and while they are doing a rather lousy job, sadly we do need the security post 9-11 :(

cur May 6, 2016 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 26586635)
Not sure if that's a jab at TSA, and while they are doing a rather lousy job, sadly we do need the security post 9-11 :(

yeah sorta

but you can't say anything that's been done since reinforcing flight deck doors has been actually security

cause it hasn't

callum9999 May 6, 2016 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cur (Post 26585921)

Oh I'd beg to differ... The worst public transport operator I've used for any form of transport in any country I've ever visited! The Australian one is quite nice though, and the old UK Greyhound was pure luxury in comparison!

That being said, I'm a cheapskate so still use them (but only if they're significantly cheaper than Amtrak/Megabus etc.). Bolt is also fine despite being owned by them.

cur May 7, 2016 5:37 am

Originally Posted by callum9999 (Post 26586801)
Oh I'd beg to differ... The worst public transport operator I've used for any form of transport in any country I've ever visited! The Australian one is quite nice though, and the old UK Greyhound was pure luxury in comparison!

That being said, I'm a cheapskate so still use them (but only if they're significantly cheaper than Amtrak/Megabus etc.). Bolt is also fine despite being owned by them.

yeah of course it's dumpy, it's greyhound.

megabus is decent though, and cheapcheap

callum9999 May 7, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by cur (Post 26589170)
yeah of course it's dumpy, it's greyhound.

megabus is decent though, and cheapcheap

It was the common sense bit I was disagreeing with too! I can't say I come across many Greyhound employees with a great deal of it (or probably more fairly, who cares enough to use it and/or is empowered to use it).

cur May 8, 2016 1:24 am

Originally Posted by callum9999 (Post 26589729)
It was the common sense bit I was disagreeing with too! I can't say I come across many Greyhound employees with a great deal of it (or probably more fairly, who cares enough to use it and/or is empowered to use it).

i always found that no employee ever wants to get involved

which to me is common sense :D:D

callum9999 May 9, 2016 6:34 am

Originally Posted by cur (Post 26592173)
i always found that no employee ever wants to get involved

which to me is common sense :D:D

Very good point! Even the managers are completely hostile and indifferent to customers - including my seemingly onerous and unreasonable request for the station manager to see if they can find my bag, which I had last seen locked on a coach with a small engine fire at 4am 12 hours earlier!

cur May 10, 2016 6:54 am

Originally Posted by callum9999 (Post 26597695)
Very good point! Even the managers are completely hostile and indifferent to customers - including my seemingly onerous and unreasonable request for the station manager to see if they can find my bag, which I had last seen locked on a coach with a small engine fire at 4am 12 hours earlier!

haha that is a very onerous thing of you to ask a bus station manager

ah to now have a job and no longer be 17-19

one weekend in tx i was carless so i took megabus houston to san antonio for $2 roundtrip + $3.50 booking fee, loved it. they even do a red eye to new orleans for $1.

EmailKid May 10, 2016 8:49 am

Originally Posted by cur (Post 26602883)
they even do a red eye to new orleans for $1.

Well, that would save on the cost of a hotel ^

I've done my share of overnight Greyhound bus trips a long time ago, but doubt I'll EVER do it again :p