Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

4 High School Students LAX to Europe for the first time to Europe. Strategy sought..

4 High School Students LAX to Europe for the first time to Europe. Strategy sought..

Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Ha ha, so true!

Here is the hostel group I was told about.. I haven't had a chance to see if it will work for us. https://www.hihostels.com/
Yes, membership gives a price break. I believe this is the main largest hostel organization, with places all over. Good reviews and ratings of the particular places. I've stayed in probably 10 of them in various countries.

It is easy to make bookings on-line with them.

The most recent was:

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/black-sail

Pretty remote, but I've also stayed in one in downtown London.

Note that the Black Sail one has a ".uk" address but that is part of Hostelling International.

I noted it earlier, but do make sure they find www.seat61.com for the best advice on European rail travel I've found.

Romelle
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Romelle
I believe this is the main largest hostel organization, with places all over. Good reviews and ratings of the particular places.
I've enjoyed my stays, but HI in Key West (this was over 10 years ago) was HORRIBLE.

Hopefully they've moved or remodeled.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I've enjoyed my stays, but HI in Key West (this was over 10 years ago) was HORRIBLE.

Hopefully they've moved or remodeled.
I checked, and there is still a youth hostel in Key West, but it is not a member of YHA (at least now). It also gets a sad www.tripadvisor.com user rating of 2.5 out of 5. Likely the same place - Seashell Motel? $110 in July.

In any case, maybe it will help the young travelers learn to watch those reviews. Though I think I may have found a worse one in Key West for a little less $. Sometimes budget rules. The sunshine is the same.

Romelle
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:13 pm

I visited Amsterdam late last year and found that English was pretty much spoken by almost everybody. Schiphol Airport is also conveniently integrated with a train station. I noticed that Schiphol is a hub for EasyJet and that should imply low fares to many places.

Some orange plane watching....
Old May 29, 2016, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks to all for all your posts, commentary and suggestions. Working with a group of teenagers was very insightful for me. The boys were very opiniated on what they wanted to do and in the end they seem to have an Itinerary that works for them. They first purchased a OW on DY LAX-CPH and finally yesterday purchased another OW VCE-LAX via ARN again on DY (well 2 of the 4) One is going to meet up with his family in Costa Rica for a vacation and the 4th his girlfriend in PDX (so they booked separately) They purchased 15 day Ist Class Student Eurarail Tix and have a series of Hostels, Family Lodging (Grandma of one of the Boys) and a luxury condo in Amsterdam thanks to one of the parents generosity an Airbnb and a Hotel.They will Visit Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Interlaken, Florence and Venice. Unfortunately this did not turn out to be the Budget Travel as I had expected Actually it's not that bad.. They have communicated well among themselves and the Parents have received written updates along the way. I am very proud of these graduating High School Seniors. Hopefully they will prepare a "Guest" Trip Report when they complete their travel. Thanks again to all and Safe Travels
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:16 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Off they go...

Just put my son and his bicycle on a flight to Dublin. I'll see him in about 3 weeks. The whole growing up thing feels so official!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.