Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

4 High School Students LAX to Europe for the first time to Europe. Strategy sought..

4 High School Students LAX to Europe for the first time to Europe. Strategy sought..

Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I would offer the following suggestions.

Don't accept friendly shared taxi rides...don't let yourself get...TAKEN.

Now that the safety aspect has been covered, the other recommendations here are very good. With the wall chargers, make sure you don't leave stuff unattended.

I'm not saying you need to watch your phone/laptop charge while it's charging, but don't leave the room for extended periods. These kind of things can overheat easily and either blow your device or perhaps start a fire in rare cases.

Travel laundry soap is brilliant.

If it feels like a scam, it probably is. Things like 3-card monty, bars that have shady dudes outside (there's a difference between a bouncer and these guys, you can tell just by looking at them USUALLY).

Don't carry your passports around, copy them and carry the copies.

All that being said, travel with confidence and have fun and don't feel the need to be constantly looking over your shoulder. That'll ruin it for you.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:40 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I brought a couple of kids to Europe this year, and AMS was tops on the list with them. There are young people with backpacks EVERYWHERE. It was by far the favorite place of a five stop trip. I also like London and Rome for young people.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I hope they consider youth hostels for their trip. Even if they aren't on a tight budget, the hostels are where many other young traveling people are staying. A great place to meet people from many different countries and cultures.

Hostels have all sorts of support things like lockers, washers, bulletin boards with local attractions and travel-related information, TV rooms, ping pong tables, etc..

A simple breakfast is almost always included and there often is a simple evening meal available for purchase. I ate some of the best pasta I've ever had at a hostel in Italy.

Besides the dorm rooms, some of them have private rooms. They are sited in all sorts of different buildings. My son and I stayed in a one in a former castle.

https://www.hihostels.com/explore

They do vary in quality, so it is worth checking the reviews. Besides the Hosteling International ones, there are lots of other places calling themselves hostels. While I'm sure there are good non-HI ones, I think the HI ones are a little more reliable and consistent.

Romelle
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Don't stay in hostels much anymore ... OK, can't remember last time I did, probably Key West or possibly the great HI in Seattle, now sadly gone.

Wait, I take that back, sort of .... Hostel Modrá, Prague, but I'm not even sure if they have shared rooms.

It's right by the airport, right on the bus stop (including night bus, VERY important when you have a 6 a.m. flight).

From reading about it, it's an old Communist (or as we Czechs say, za Bolševika, pronounced Bolshevika) hotel for flight attendants of ČSA, back then Czechoslovak Airlines, now Czech Airlines. Of course they don't stay there anymore, but it's cheap and at least the three or so times I stayed there, clean.

Bathrooms down the hall, but I've done that many times, including another of my favorites in San Diego not too long ago

Oh, and where else are you going to find a vending machine that sells BEER

So for those on a Budget with a little sense of adventure, and looking to experience a little history, VERY HIGHLY recommended ^

For those expecting Motel 6, eh, not so much

OK, not for everyone, but there are some things in life that are just cool, and IMHO, staying at Hostel Modrá, even if just once, is one of them.

And yes, I've stayed in infamous Chung King Mansion, first time not so much by choice (thank you late arriving UA flight, but I'm repeating myself), but even by choice. This Thanksgiving, HIX using points
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:01 pm

With a group of 4, they could book a dorm room with two bunkbeds in a hostel.

HI hostels are often good, but there are some, like in Rome, that have really terrible locations for tourists (of course some of their locations are great).
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:09 pm

I want to also second flying Norwegian if they don't have to worry about miles, etc. I've done the nonstop from LAX to LGW and it was perfectly comfortable and fine. June-July-August is very busy in Europe. If it were just two, they could probably wing-it in terms of hostels, but they might want to book ahead if they all want to stay in the same dorm. If that doesn't matter, they can probably wing-it.

Make sure they have a clear budget that is doable for each of them. They should also plan what sort of things they want to do. Museums? Hiking? Drinking? Etc. Do they have interests in particular things like Roman history or house music? That goes a long way into determining where they should go.

Depending on how long they are gone, they should probably unlock their phones and get a SIM card, unless they have T-Mobile. Relying on WiFi is OK if they have a clear itinerary, but if they're not terribly organized, being able to call/text each other will make life much easier.

Also, while trains are nicer, for high school boys, buses are much cheaper and easier to book last-minute, and planes in Europe are very inexpensive if they want to go to different places.

I'd recommend Lonely Planet's "Europe on a Shoestring" -- it has a lot of good suggestions on attractions and good advice for most countries.

As for safety, much of it is common sense stuff. Know the emergency number(s) for the country you're in. Always keep your wallet with you. Don't flash a lot of cash anywhere. Be careful in pickpockety areas. Since drinking ages in Europe are lower, I'd say they should make not to overindulge. I'd also make sure they are all signed up for the State Department STEP program, in case of natural disaster, etc. I personally like having a flash drive with emergency info (like my In Case of Emergency contacts, insurance, medication/allergies, etc.) in my wallet, with an encrypted file with information in case I need to cancel a credit card, lose my passport, etc. Also make sure that all of the parents have photocopies of their kid's passport.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:13 am

You probably can't get those boys to read THIS list. It is mostly for you. It is quite complete.

I raised sons, and know one has to pick one's fights. I figure you can go through the list and note the top few really serious items, then nag them ruthlessly on those.

And not worry about the rest.

Romelle

PS

THIS is a great illustrated write-up of the hostel experience:

Last edited by Romelle; Dec 18, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:10 am

How is the planning coming?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:10 am

My son is now planning a bicycle trip through the UK. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread for ideas and input.
OP- how is it coming together?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks to all for their interest and follow up.. The boys met last night.. They are thinking on the following.. LAX-Copenhagen for $333 on Norwegian (one in the group has family there) Athens to Dublin $75 on a low cost carrier, did not get the name.. and Dublin to LAX for $493 I thought they said Ethiopian (but I think they are messing with me on that one) Other travel on Euro Rail. They are all over the map. But its second semester, after the holidays now. So they are starting to fine tune.. This is a good story for FTers I would pick one spot in the Continent for the lowest cost R/T and go from there vs the Open Jaw on different carriers.. They do need help, but as a Dad I am letting them grow at this point. Any suggestions.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:09 am

My son is booked LAX to Dublin in mid June on an AA award flight. Then I'm thinking I'll get him a hostel pass and some good maps. The train is good for sleeping and will transport the bicycle if he wants to get to the mainland, but I think he's staying in the UK/Ireland, including Isle of Skye & Scotland. We're expecting it to rain on him!

I'm booked to LHR about 3 weeks later to look in on him/enjoy some time together. I'll catch a train or Ryan Air flight if he's too far from London to meet me there.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
.. and Dublin to LAX for $493 I thought they said Ethiopian (but I think they are messing with me on that one)
Believe they make a technical stop there and are allowed to sell tickets, much like one or two of the ME carriers sell tickets from Europe to US.

Addis Ababa to US west coast is too far without stopping for fuel.

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Then I'm thinking I'll get him a hostel pass and some good maps.
Maps are nice, but I think the kids these days look up everything on their smart phones @:-)

Data plans are cheap in Europe.

Never heard of hostel pass though ....
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Maps are nice, but I think the kids these days look up everything on their smart phones @:-)

Never heard of hostel pass though ....
Ha ha, so true!

Here is the hostel group I was told about.. I haven't had a chance to see if it will work for us. https://www.hihostels.com/
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Here is the hostel group I was told about.. I haven't had a chance to see if it will work for us. https://www.hihostels.com/
Very familiar with Hosteling International, a good organization.

Used to stay at their place in Seattle until (I suspect) they lost their lease in a prime downtown spot.

But I suspect the membership will give you lower prices, not a pass

But only glanced at their web site, did not research it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
.. and Dublin to LAX for $493 I thought they said Ethiopian (but I think they are messing with me on that one)
Indeed, ET has scheduled service DUB-LAX, with a 787 no less.. I was there for their inaugural flight last year

(link to article I wrote for AirlineReporter).

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Believe they make a technical stop there and are allowed to sell tickets, much like one or two of the ME carriers sell tickets from Europe to US.

Addis Ababa to US west coast is too far without stopping for fuel.
It's beyond that, ET has the goal of turning DUB into one of their hubs, a gateway between various North American and African cities.

Last edited by EmailKid; Feb 5, 2016 at 12:38 pm Reason: back to back posts on same subject: Multiquote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.