Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road tripping in Amerika: Cheap Food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Sonic Drive-In burgers are half price Tuesday evenings. I like a plain burger with lettuce, onions and BBQ sauce. It's the equivalent of the legacy menu item "Hickory Burger" and a tasty treat for $2.59.

More Sonic lore..... 5 secret Sonic Drive-In menu items you should know about - oklahoman.com

Off topic: If you need some pants, check out www.dungarees.com. Factory second Carhartt double fronts go for about $30.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Feb 5, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Talking Free Pizza Feb 9th

Get free pizza and deals for National Pizza Day at Papa John's, Pizza Hut and more Sunday - usatoday

Planet Fitnessis hosting “an epic carbs and cardio pizza, bagel and workout party” Sunday at its approximately 2,000 U.S. locations and everyone is invited even if they’re not a member.
And much much more.....
EmailKid likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:35 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Chili at Wendy's

Cool here in Dallas, which makes it perfect for wonderful chili at Wendy's. Ya, another chain, but their chili is truly wonderful, small for a couple of bucks, large for $3.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

June 5th: National Doughnut Day!
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Dollar General is ubiquitous in the Trumpian wilderness. My drug of choice is 5 oz bags of ripple potato chips for $1. Mmmmm. You can also find healthy food, like fresh dairy, nuts and trail mix. DG is more than cans of vienna suasages.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Ain't been road tripping much these days but still always on the lookout for cheap healthy food. My latest is the Papa Murphy's Tuesday special family sized pizza @ $13. I go for the Gourmet Vegetarian. Traditional crust, red sauce and light mozzarella. Cut the pie and baking tray into quarters with scissors, then plastic wrap and freeze.....toss in the oven as desired. Four healthy meals for $3.25 each. Yummm! .
-------------------------------------------
Not really healthy, but certainly less unhealthy, I've been going for 2 McD's sausage McM's, no cheese, no salted butter. 2 bucks!
------------------------------------------
If you are homebound and need a roadtrip fix, try RoadKill (watch for free content on www.motortrendondemand.com)

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Jan 1, 2021 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Free Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut with a COVID-19 vaccination card. Limit 1 doughnut per day for the remainder of year!

Krispy Kreme will give a free doughnut a day to anyone with a COVID-19 vaccination card - INSIDER
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Couple finds.....Taco Bell's Fiesta Veggie Burrito Fresco. $2. Order it Fresco and there's no dairy products, so most of the fat is Omega-6 from the avocados. And there's Blue Bunny vanilla frozen yogurt at Walmart. $4.50 for 48 oz. Great with Hershey's Syrup.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:41 pm

I know this is an older post, but my friends and I often do USA Road trips on the cheap. (Back when gas was cheaper!).

It's not possible for everyone, but if you are living in the USA and have time to plan for your trip: A few months ahead of time, start looking at the deals in the grocery store weekly flyers and combine them with coupons - this is for non perishable goods. There are sites that even tell you what deals are really good this week. You can also use apps like iBotta to get $ back in the form of rebates or items for free, etc.
The last time I went on a road trip, we spent a total $4.84 to feed 3 people for two weeks due to prior planning!

The other thing we have done when there isn't time to plan ahead is we bring a cooler. We head to the local discount grocery store and stock up on cheap but filling whatevers that will last in the cooler. We bought a tiny travel cooker, one pot and one pan to make soup, heat up chili, make eggs, that sort of thing and never once ate out at a restaurant.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Two hacks. Taco Bell ranch chicken burritos, $2. I freeze these. then microwave and eat with yogurt. Less healthy: 2 for $3 at Wendys, I get a sausage biscuit and an egg and cheese biscuit. Combine into one sausage, egg and cheese biscuit. Put fruit spread on the remaining biscuits or share with feathered friends.

ETA: Do not microwave Taco Bell burritos in original wrapper.

I've met people living out of rice cookers. This can really be an art form. Any experiences?
EmailKid and pudgym29 like this.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Oct 21, 2023 at 6:59 am
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:04 pm

Oh wow, I've heard about people living out of rice cookers and it always amazes me how creative they can be with their meals despite the limited resources. Your idea of freezing and microwaving Taco Bell ranch chicken burritos is genius and seems like a great hack for a quick and tasty meal. I'm more of a Wendy's fan myself, so I might just have to try combining their sausage, egg and cheese biscuits next time I'm there. Thanks for sharing your tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.