Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transportation in the Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Transportation in the Maldives

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong place - I really didn't know where to ask it! A couple friends and I are planning a budget trip to the Maldives this winter.

We were planning on leaving the Maldives on January 1 which falls on a Friday. Since we're not interested in private speed boats (way too much $$$), we're interested in more budget options such as ferries and passenger speed boats (I've heard they're not that expensive).

My problem is, it only just occurred to me that we would need to take transportation on Friday. I've heard some ferries (or all?) don't run on Fridays... a) is this true? b) is there a way around this without leaving a day earlier/later? c) do passenger speed boats have the same Friday rule?

I'm basically trying to figure out if we're going to have to leave a day later, because I want to get on that sooner rather than later if that's the case.

Thank you for any help!!!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I haven't been but have come very close to going, doing the research, etc. I think your typical visitor is staying somewhere other than Male island and books the hotel and then works with the hotel to figure out the transportation. Places I looked at were in the Male atolls. The hotel transfer wasn't cheap ($50-75 each way) and wasn't included at the price point I was looking at, but then just about any lodging in the country has to have arrangements to get to/from the airport in Male unless it's something really, really exclusive. People tend to go to their resort for the castaway experience and stay put unil it's time to go.

I s'pose it's possible to try to go around independently, but it didn't sound like it was well set up for that.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I stayed at a place called Fuana Inn, on Hulhumale'. Definitely a budget place for the Maldives, but right on the beach (they lent me snorkel gear too).

IIRC I took a boat from MLE to Male' island, and then from there to Hulhumale'. Once on the latter island, it wasn't a terribly long walk to the hotel.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I'm sure you'll get more specific responses from somebody who knows the area, but my first all-purpose search I use for transportation is www.rome2rio.com.

Also:

The "Destinations" area here
A search on 'maldives' here
Your hotel web site after you book

Romelle
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I stayed at a place called Fuana Inn, on Hulhumale'. Definitely a budget place for the Maldives, but right on the beach (they lent me snorkel gear too).

IIRC I took a boat from MLE to Male' island, and then from there to Hulhumale'. Once on the latter island, it wasn't a terribly long walk to the hotel.
hhaha stayed there too, didnt think anyone else on FT would stay outside of the chains in MLE, and took same ferry over to the main island.
Good cheep and cheerful local restaurants around too.

They can arrange a day trip on a boat to some other atolls.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
didnt think anyone else on FT would stay outside of the chains in MLE
There are more things in FT, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Not everyone wants to do the same "aspirational travel" as the bloggers do, complete with corn flakes at the executive lounge.

I've been poking around looking at MLE travel using ferries myself. MLE doesn't look horribly expensive if you eschew the high-end resorts.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There are more things in FT, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Not everyone wants to do the same "aspirational travel" as the bloggers do, complete with corn flakes at the executive lounge.

I've been poking around looking at MLE travel using ferries myself. MLE doesn't look horribly expensive if you eschew the high-end resorts.
Been to the Maldives twice. Never ventured outside Male/Helhumale. The ferry between the two does run on Friday, just at 30-60 minute intervals. The beach on Helhumale was perfect for me, since I can spend about 15 minutes on a beach before becoming horribly bored.

If you are there during Ramadan, it can be a challenge to find food on Male, and impossible on Helhumale during the day.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
lol.. but .. but... the Hyatt MLE!!

There are some amazing smaller islands that have Maldivian plane service at reasonable cost, and some B&B style local accommodation. Would love to go back, and head to one of those.

And youre right - its not terribly expensive - I remember having an awesome meal on Hulhumalle for under $10
Old May 4, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: QR, EK, MH, AF, UL, BK
Hello Madie,

You have local ferries and speedboats everyday even on friday. Transportation will only stop during main friday prayer between 12.30 pm and 1.30 pm. The only difference is that you will have limited boats schedules compared to the rest of the week. Here is the link for ferry schedule between the different islands and atolls .
http://www.mtcc.com.mv/transporthome.aspx
Old May 4, 2015, 9:35 am

Thanks for the very useful information, it is really help to plan the trip : )
Old May 5, 2015, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

You can actually take a pubic bus from MLE to Hulhumale'. The bus runs once an hour. A taxi is $8 per person I believe.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SirJman
You can actually take a pubic bus from MLE to Hulhumale'.
I think I'll stick to the taxi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.