Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on DUB-JFK with B.A.(AA) price?

Old Sep 25, 14, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Looking for end April return out of Dublin. Found B.A. (operated by American Airlines) for 461/360 which seems OK for time of year. (direct one way, via LHR other leg)
Never flown AA before but read a few bad things.
Also never tracked prices for this route before for this time of year.
Is the price likely to come down? Are AA worth flying with?
SHould I wait 10-11 weeks before until booking?
tx.
Old Sep 25, 14, 7:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
That sounds like a good price. If you have oneworld status or pay extra you can reserve Main Cabin Extra (extra legroom) seats on AA.
Old Sep 25, 14, 8:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
That is a very good price IMHO.

I have been tracking DUB-EWR flights on UA, and it seems that they were in $800 to $1,000 range, though that would be for early October.

Prices may come down, then again they may go up and stay up, one can never be sure with this game.
Old Sep 25, 14, 9:14 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist

im not sure what "bad things" you've heard, but there's no significant difference in coach amongst the carriers that fly this route.
Old Sep 25, 14, 12:29 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

Plus, it's a really short flight for transatlantic.
Old Dec 30, 14, 9:27 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "return," but will assume you mean a one-way flight since you later write "direct one way." If this is the case, Norwegian has a one way Dublin to New York on 4/23 for $351.50 and a flight on 4/29 for $372.60 (it gets as low as $317.50 on 4/21). All of the above flights have a layover in Oslo, but I'd gladly take a layover (its only a 2.5 hour layover for the 4/21 flight) to save more than $200 on a ticket.
Old Dec 30, 14, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by studentflyer3412 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "return," but will assume you mean a one-way flight since you later write "direct one way." If this is the case, Norwegian has a one way Dublin to New York on 4/23 for $351.50 and a flight on 4/29 for $372.60 (it gets as low as $317.50 on 4/21). All of the above flights have a layover in Oslo, but I'd gladly take a layover (its only a 2.5 hour layover for the 4/21 flight) to save more than $200 on a ticket.
Although you're not "new", welcome to flyertalk. I'm not sure why you've bumped this old thread, but return means round trip. (Direct one way means not direct the other)

Also, it's not just a 2.5 hour layover. Flying via Oslo is 12.5 hrs travel time on the outbound, and 15.5 on the way back. Nonstop is 6.75/7.5. Stop in London is under 10.

$700 roundtrip is not a great deal on this route, particularly on a LCC that has less pitch, no food, charges for seat reservations, and doesnt include any checked bags ($59 each). You could fly Aer Lingus or American nonstop on those dates for about $870, but fares often dip lower.
Old Dec 31, 14, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Although you're not "new", welcome to flyertalk. I'm not sure why you've bumped this old thread, but return means round trip. (Direct one way means not direct the other)

Also, it's not just a 2.5 hour layover. Flying via Oslo is 12.5 hrs travel time on the outbound, and 15.5 on the way back. Nonstop is 6.75/7.5. Stop in London is under 10.

$700 roundtrip is not a great deal on this route, particularly on a LCC that has less pitch, no food, charges for seat reservations, and doesnt include any checked bags ($59 each). You could fly Aer Lingus or American nonstop on those dates for about $870, but fares often dip lower.
Thanks for welcome. To respond to your point, I don't see a problem bumping an "old" thread when my answer can still be relevant (I saw no indication that the OP booked the flight discussed in this thread). Indeed, due to the OP's question of whether s/he should wait up to 10 or so weeks before the OP/s end of April 2015 trip, there's a chance that the OP didn't book the flight yet. Still, if such a practice goes against forum policies, I'll refrain from doing in the future.

And, yes, the flight I found did have a 2.5 layover in Oslo (flights were from Dublin to Oslo and from Oslo to JFK); there is no London involved for the itinerary I found. But, ultimately, given that its clear now that the OP was referring to a round trip ticket, it doesn't seem that my "deal" is such a deal.

Thanks, again.
Old Dec 31, 14, 11:08 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Still, if such a practice goes against forum policies, I'll refrain from doing in the future.
IIRC the policy is not to bump threads older than six months, possibly even one year.
Old Dec 31, 14, 12:04 pm

Thanks for welcome. To respond to your point, I don't see a problem bumping an "old" thread when my answer can still be relevant (I saw no indication that the OP booked the flight discussed in this thread). Indeed, due to the OP's question of whether s/he should wait up to 10 or so weeks before the OP/s end of April 2015 trip, there's a chance that the OP didn't book the flight yet. Still, if such a practice goes against forum policies, I'll refrain from doing in the future.

And, yes, the flight I found did have a 2.5 layover in Oslo (flights were from Dublin to Oslo and from Oslo to JFK); there is no London involved for the itinerary I found. But, ultimately, given that its clear now that the OP was referring to a round trip ticket, it doesn't seem that my "deal" is such a deal.

Thanks, again.
The rules don't explicitly prohibit responding to old threads, it's just that the question of whether a fare that was available in September was a good deal is moot, as obviously the fare he was thinking of booking isnt the same three months later. Whether it was a deal in September can't be compared to what prices are now.
(Arguably, it could violate the rule on "contributive posting." but I wasn't suggesting a rule violation, just a pointlessness comment.)
Also, if you read carefully, you would have seen the OP would have had a stop in London one way ("via LHR one leg"). LHR is an airport code that means London Heathrow.
Finally, as I stated in my initial post, if you were to book this flight today, and had the choice of nonstop on a "full-service" carrier for $870 or on Norwegian for $725 plus fees and nearly double the travel time, I think the choice is pretty clear.

Last edited by Adam1222; Dec 31, 14 at 12:10 pm
Old Dec 31, 14, 4:35 pm

The rules don't explicitly prohibit responding to old threads, it's just that the question of whether a fare that was available in September was a good deal is moot, as obviously the fare he was thinking of booking isnt the same three months later. Whether it was a deal in September can't be compared to what prices are now.
(Arguably, it could violate the rule on "contributive posting." but I wasn't suggesting a rule violation, just a pointlessness comment.)
Also, if you read carefully, you would have seen the OP would have had a stop in London one way ("via LHR one leg"). LHR is an airport code that means London Heathrow.
Finally, as I stated in my initial post, if you were to book this flight today, and had the choice of nonstop on a "full-service" carrier for $870 or on Norwegian for $725 plus fees and nearly double the travel time, I think the choice is pretty clear.
I have to disagree. True, the OP's first comparison fare likely changed since September, but there could still be plenty of relevance in pointing out to the OP what I saw as a good deal in the event that the OP didn't book the flight yet. And, given that I misread/understood the OP's post about "return" trip, this is especially relevant as my post referred to a cheaper one way flight than what I (incorrectly) read the OP's fare as. Ultimately, though, as is clear from above, this point is moot now as I acknowledged that, due to my issue with understanding the return issue, I gave bad advice.

Also, and I now realize the point about London layover, but, nonetheless, I was suggesting another route. Nothing in the OP's post suggested that the OP has to make a layover in London, but rather that London just happened to be a layover point on the fare/itinerary that the OP was reviewing in September.

Finally, I don't know if I'd go that far. If the OP is on a budget and is not packing much, then a decision to take the option with an ultimate savings of $150 is a pretty to some; and let's be clear, the $725 Norwegian (unless you're adding meals or choosing a particular seat or checking bags) doesn't include any additional fees . . . I know because I booked with Norwegian for my upcoming trip to Europe. I'd take the $150 savings on a budget flight under similar circumstances in a heartbeat. Heck, looking at fares now, I'd even take an extra long layover (as in close to a day) if it meant spending $200+ on a return Dublin to NY at the end of April (I just looked at some routes and saw how to make it work for $655). But, then again, I pack lightly (even when traveling to Sydney for a 3 month exchange program, I used a carry-on only, and just washed clothes weekly) and find myself asleep on most of the flight. I also will bring snacks from home or otherwise buy a cheap meal to bring on the flight from the airport. Now, if the savings were only $10-$50, then not even I would do something like that!
Old Dec 31, 14, 11:36 pm

I have to disagree. True, the OP's first comparison fare likely changed since September, but there could still be plenty of relevance in pointing out to the OP what I saw as a good deal in the event that the OP didn't book the flight yet. And, given that I misread/understood the OP's post about "return" trip, this is especially relevant as my post referred to a cheaper one way flight than what I (incorrectly) read the OP's fare as. Ultimately, though, as is clear from above, this point is moot now as I acknowledged that, due to my issue with understanding the return issue, I gave bad advice.

Also, and I now realize the point about London layover, but, nonetheless, I was suggesting another route. Nothing in the OP's post suggested that the OP has to make a layover in London, but rather that London just happened to be a layover point on the fare/itinerary that the OP was reviewing in September.

Finally, I don't know if I'd go that far. If the OP is on a budget and is not packing much, then a decision to take the option with an ultimate savings of $150 is a pretty to some; and let's be clear, the $725 Norwegian (unless you're adding meals or choosing a particular seat or checking bags) doesn't include any additional fees . . . I know because I booked with Norwegian for my upcoming trip to Europe. I'd take the $150 savings on a budget flight under similar circumstances in a heartbeat. Heck, looking at fares now, I'd even take an extra long layover (as in close to a day) if it meant spending $200+ on a return Dublin to NY at the end of April (I just looked at some routes and saw how to make it work for $655). But, then again, I pack lightly (even when traveling to Sydney for a 3 month exchange program, I used a carry-on only, and just washed clothes weekly) and find myself asleep on most of the flight. I also will bring snacks from home or otherwise buy a cheap meal to bring on the flight from the airport. Now, if the savings were only $10-$50, then not even I would do something like that!
Ok. Enjoy doubling your travel time and flying in Norwegian and paying extra fees. Norwegian routes may be economical for backpackers when they're under $500-- but not (1) when the destination is Dublin, which is usually the cheapest destination to fly to in Europe and also the farthest West destination in Europe and (2) when Norwegian with extra inconveniences cost $700. (The point about LHR was that even if you stop in London you're still saving hours on travel time as opposed to Oslo.)
But more importantly, don't suggest that the only inconvenience is a 2.5 hour layover in Oslo, as you're way over flying Dublin and then backtracking, doubling your travel time. Norwegian would be the equivalent of flying Los Angeles to Denver via JFK.
The fact that you don't know what "return" means also suggests you're not quite the expert you're pretending to be, which is fine; we've all started somewhere. But with this experience level I wouldn't be looking for threads from 3 months ago to put in my uninformed two cents. This isn't a site for student backpackers; most grown ups place a value on their time (and comfort). (Putting aside the ability to earn miles which is a major point of Flyertalk...)
Old Jan 1, 15, 2:15 am

I am doing this very route of OSL-JFK on July 26th for $380 one way direct flight with baggage/meal (lowfare+). Not a bad price for summer. Its also cheapest if you pay in Norwegian Krone.
Old Jan 1, 15, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok. Enjoy doubling your travel time and flying in Norwegian and paying extra fees. Norwegian routes may be economical for backpackers when they're under $500-- but not (1) when the destination is Dublin, which is usually the cheapest destination to fly to in Europe and also the farthest West destination in Europe and (2) when Norwegian with extra inconveniences cost $700. (The point about LHR was that even if you stop in London you're still saving hours on travel time as opposed to Oslo.)
But more importantly, don't suggest that the only inconvenience is a 2.5 hour layover in Oslo, as you're way over flying Dublin and then backtracking, doubling your travel time. Norwegian would be the equivalent of flying Los Angeles to Denver via JFK.
The fact that you don't know what "return" means also suggests you're not quite the expert you're pretending to be, which is fine; we've all started somewhere. But with this experience level I wouldn't be looking for threads from 3 months ago to put in my uninformed two cents. This isn't a site for student backpackers; most grown ups place a value on their time (and comfort). (Putting aside the ability to earn miles which is a major point of Flyertalk...)
I just do not understand that determination to attempt to prove studentflyer3412 wrong, belittling him as uninformed and erecting yourself implicitly as the super-duper expert in the process. This is really unnecessary.

The reviving of a 3-months old thread here does seem a little strange but there really is no need to aggressively berate somebody with only 10 posts for this unless you want to discourage infrequent posters, least of all — horror of horrors — "student backpackers", from joining the conversation so that only self-appointed "experts" can talk among themselves.

On the substantive point, what studentflyer3412 says is far from being outlandish. Some flyers are willing to very substantially increase their flight time and forego inflight catering for saving, say, $200. It may not be something that you may want to do. It may not be something that I might want to do but different strokes for different folks. Who are you to decide what priorities individuals should have, especially on a forum dedicated to budget travel?

Oh, and by the way, since you regard yourself as a much better informed traveler than studentflyer3412, you will be familiar with geography and great circle distances and it will surely not have escaped your attention that DUB-OSL-JFK is not remotely comparable to LAX-JFK-DEN. If you want something broadly comparable in terms of distance, something like flying ATL to SFO via PHL would be much closer to the mark. And if you think such an itinerary is outlandish, speak to US flyers.
Old Jan 2, 15, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
I just do not understand that determination to attempt to prove studentflyer3412 wrong, belittling him as uninformed and erecting yourself implicitly as the super-duper expert in the process. This is really unnecessary.

The reviving of a 3-months old thread here does seem a little strange but there really is no need to aggressively berate somebody with only 10 posts for this unless you want to discourage infrequent posters, least of all — horror of horrors — "student backpackers", from joining the conversation so that only self-appointed "experts" can talk among themselves.

On the substantive point, what studentflyer3412 says is far from being outlandish. Some flyers are willing to very substantially increase their flight time and forego inflight catering for saving, say, $200. It may not be something that you may want to do. It may not be something that I might want to do but different strokes for different folks. Who are you to decide what priorities individuals should have, especially on a forum dedicated to budget travel?

Oh, and by the way, since you regard yourself as a much better informed traveler than studentflyer3412, you will be familiar with geography and great circle distances and it will surely not have escaped your attention that DUB-OSL-JFK is not remotely comparable to LAX-JFK-DEN. If you want something broadly comparable in terms of distance, something like flying ATL to SFO via PHL would be much closer to the mark. And if you think such an itinerary is outlandish, speak to US flyers.

Unfortunately, this is a thread that was a response to a particular question, and none of us know the OP's intentions -- specifically since he posted this question three months ago asking about whether a specific flight was a good deal, and, in fact, has not logged into this website since October 1 -- a mere 12 days after he joined the site.

Pointing out the potential downsides of flying Norwegian is important, so that Flyertalkers can make informed decisions. Anyone who doesn't mind the doubled travel time, cramped seat product, lack of miles, $42 meal, and charge for luggage isn't going to be misled by me providing that information. Unfortunately, Flyertalk more and more draws people like the OP - who come on for a specific question, and many of whom don't have much experience flying.
But they might get misled by a post that suggests the only difference between flying nonstop and Norwegian is a 2.5 hour layover. They might not realize that Dublin is the cheapest European arrival point from the U.S. They might not even know Norwegian is an LCC.

And if I make a post that is completely and demonstrably wrong because I don't know what a basic word means, someone points that out, and then I double down even though I was completely wrong, I would expect someone to perhaps say something less than positive. And I never claimed to be an expert; I've made mistakes in responding to other people's posts. And I don't try to "disagree" if someone points out a mistake in my reading comprehension. But this is hardly "berating" someone. If you think my post was "berating," you must lead a very charmed life. I think of all the posts in this thread, yours is the most aggressive. But what do I know, I'm not an expert.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: