Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap flight ~Dec 20, Toronto to Vancouver or Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to fly from Toronto to Vancouver, 1 way, on Dec 20. Peak season, I know, but I want to fly home ASAP.

I'm a student and when I saw the price on Air Canada ($550 back then, now $580), I almost fainted. For a one way trip's price I could get a round-trip ticket during other months!

I've brainstormed a few ways to do this but I thought others on the forum would be more experienced with this.

Less preferable ideas:
- using Aeroplan points no go as black-out dates, business class option isn't worth it (half business half economy, 12 hour flight)
- book on Air Canada - I have a 5% off code.. not much but might as well use it if I am booking with them...
- book on WestJet - $547
- Sunwing - $360 flight but I'm estimating 16 kg over baggage limit = extra $160 fees

My better idea:
- Fly Toronto to Seattle using United Way or American Airlines, about $360-383, get picked up (2 hour drive, might as well go shopping) but flights may be 8 hrs long (and then someone has to come get me in Seattle...)

Is there anything else I could do? I hear sometimes you can book a connecting flight but then not take the 2nd one to the destination or something. Or change the website's location etc...

Also, flying to Bellingham Airport is an option but I don't think the airlines there fly to the east coast? Not directly or similar anyway.

Also, what are some good websites to research with? I use kayak, skyscanner, google flights, and expedia, along with the airline's main website.

Note the above prices are for flying on Dec 20. Dec 21 is an option too. Really don't want to fly Dec 24/25 though.

Thanks so much for reading!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
If u go to Seattle you can take bolt bus for less than $20 one way or there's also the quick shuttle that runs between Seattle airport and Vancouver
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Also check fares from BUF if you can fly out of Buffalo. A few low cost carriers fly out of that airport and you might get a cheaper fare.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:16 am

You could also check Toronto-Seattle on Air Canada with a connection in Vancouver (you might miss the final flight!). Or fly westjet...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by gonzalesflyer
You could also check Toronto-Seattle on Air Canada with a connection in Vancouver (you might miss the final flight!). Or fly westjet...
Not a good idea... Sounds like the op will be checking bags. OP might miss the flight to Seattle but the luggage won't.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver

If you are a student heading home for the holidays then do you need huge amounts of luggage? Also could you ship your bags for cheaper separately ?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Also check fares from BUF if you can fly out of Buffalo. A few low cost carriers fly out of that airport and you might get a cheaper fare.
+1.

I would check Southwest's BUF-SEA fares at southwest.com. Southwest permits two free checked bags, and Megabus offers a one-seat ride from downtown Toronto to the BUF Airport.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, I will have a checked bag. I'm actually from Vancouver, so I can't leave anything behind in Toronto.

Will take a look at Buffalo. I have family here that might consider driving me down, but otherwise, the Megabus idea sounds fine too.

Just checked southwest.com, on Dec 20, Buffalo to Seattle is $585 or so. Crazy!!

United is $485, American Airlines $405. At these prices, looks like my best choice is Toronto to Seattle flying United.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Right now ITA shows one way fare BUF-YVR on 20 Dec on UA for $360 CAD.

UA 589/639 dep 7:26am arr 2:40pm w change of planes at ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.