Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

NRT-LHR: Early August ($1800+ non-stop, worth it?)

Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS, UA, DL

Hello everyone,

I'll be flying to the UK from 1 August-22 August this year and I prefer to fly non-stop. I flew this route once in April of last year on VS and was hoping to do the same again this year but the prices seem to be quite high at the moment.

I have been checking prices everyday for about two months now and this seem to be sticking around the $1600-$1900 price mark for an economy seat. Currently, BA seems to be the cheapest at $1897. Is this about right for an economy seat to London from Japan around the summertime? If it is, I definitely plan on traveling back during low-peak seasons. Should I wait a month or two or go ahead and purchase the ticket? Cathay Pacific is showing $1270 but I prefer non-stop...

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:46 am

Depends on whether it is worth $600 for you to fly non-stop. $1800+ seems awfully high, even for summer for a route like that.

That being said, word is that summer rates this year are just higher than in year's past, and that people need to expect to pay a premium for travel during summer months compared to years past, especially a busy time like August.

Good luck!

EDIT: Feel free to also use Google ITA Flight Matrix, or the more simpler Google Flights interface to compare flight prices to different months (both before and after) to get a better idea.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Choose an alliance that you value miles on and stick with it. It sounds like you're comparing similar prices within the same alliance already. Which ticket gets you the most miles in your chosen program? Answer solved.

Oh, BTW if you're really trying to get a cheap econony seat going westward from Japan and you're an active member of Flyertalk then you've already started at the wrong angle. (i.e., you should already have miles for a one way to a nearby country....)

Last edited by dvs7310; Apr 20, 2014 at 9:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.