FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budget Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/)
-   -   JFK-SFO-ICN prices went up $200+ in two days?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel/1568190-jfk-sfo-icn-prices-went-up-200-two-days.html)

Rachel Tseng Apr 10, 2014 5:59 pm

JFK-SFO-ICN prices went up $200+ in two days?!

I need to travel on Aug. 23rd to Seoul, Korea from JFK and I've been watching the prices since last weekend. The prices have been around $622 and since it's more than 4 months ahead, I thought I would keep watching it and see if it goes down more. However, I looked at it today (Thursday) and the prices LITERALLY WENT UP BY OVER $200. I was NOT expecting that at all. My head got so dizzy and I wanted to punch myself until I puked for not buying the $622 ticket.

My question is, should I wait until next week and see if the price will go down again (since today is a Thursday and I think that's when airfare is most expensive....?) or should I just buy it now before it goes up again? T_____T I AM booking more than FOUR MONTHS ahead so I still have some time to wait for it to go down right...?

Would calling United Airlines and telling them about my situation work at all? lol......like "the price was $622 but today it's $856.....I want to buy the $622 ticket." lololol probably not eh?

Dieuwer Apr 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rachel Tseng (Post 22685152)
I need to travel on Aug. 23rd to Seoul, Korea from JFK and I've been watching the prices since last weekend. The prices have been around $622 and since it's more than 4 months ahead, I thought I would keep watching it and see if it goes down more. However, I looked at it today (Thursday) and the prices LITERALLY WENT UP BY OVER $200. I was NOT expecting that at all. My head got so dizzy and I wanted to punch myself until I puked for not buying the $622 ticket.

A roundtrip fare of $622 to Korea @ 3.8 cpm (622/16489) is great.

Rachel Tseng Apr 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22685218)
Seriously?? You did not jump on a fare of $622 to Korea @ 3.8 cpm (622/16489)???
Next time, buy any fare < 5cpm. For now, wait to see if the fare drops below $800. Check every day.

oh wait a minute......i'm talking about ONE WAY. LOL.

Dieuwer Apr 10, 2014 6:24 pm

Right...
Leave a day later and a one-way is $561.

Rachel Tseng Apr 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22685269)
Right...
Leave a day later and a one-way is $561.

But you said roundtrip ticket to korea for $622 is great?

And I can't leave a day later. I have to either leave on the 22nd or 23rd...and 23rd is cheaper because 22nd is a friday :P

Romelle Apr 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Fares often seem to go up for the weekend, and then back down during the middle of the next week. It is a mostly a function of the fares in the lower rate buckets getting sold and then replaced, although it can also be rate changes. You don't mention what the fare class was for the different rates.

Not really time to panic yet. Maybe you could set some alerts. They send you an email when fares drop.

These systems have alert functions:

Kayak
FareCompare
Southwest
Yapta
TripAdvisor
Travelocity
Expedia
Orbitz

I'm sure there are others, but 3 or 4 of these is enough. If you get frustrated with one, just move on to a different one.

I think you want to buy your ticket at least 2 months ahead, but don't get stampeded into moving too quickly.

Romelle

Rachel Tseng Apr 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle (Post 22685407)
Fares often seem to go up for the weekend, and then back down during the middle of the next week. It is a mostly a function of the fares in the lower rate buckets getting sold and then replaced, although it can also be rate changes. You don't mention what the fare class was for the different rates.

Not really time to panic yet. Maybe you could set some alerts. They send you an email when fares drop.

These systems have alert functions:

Kayak
FareCompare
Southwest
Yapta
TripAdvisor
Travelocity
Expedia
Orbitz

I'm sure there are others, but 3 or 4 of these is enough. If you get frustrated with one, just move on to a different one.

I think you want to buy your ticket at least 2 months ahead, but don't get stampeded into moving too quickly.

Romelle

it's for economy. and i've set fare alarms already :D and yeah i'm 4.5 months ahead....ugh i really hope the rates will come back down....although $200+ a lot =___= i can't believe it went up by that much in one day.

dvs7310 Apr 11, 2014 4:42 am

You need to know the actual fare class of the Economy fare you saw. K, L,T, S, etc. Then you can see if the fare actually went up or if the cheaper fare bucket just sold out. It's worth monitoring with something like Expertflyer to see how much of a particular fare bucket is left, if it wss sitting at L2 for example then may be a good idea to book it. If it's at L9 then you're safe to wait and see if general fare prices are adjusted down.

chuckd Apr 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rachel Tseng (Post 22685302)
But you said roundtrip ticket to korea for $622 is great?

And I can't leave a day later. I have to either leave on the 22nd or 23rd...and 23rd is cheaper because 22nd is a friday :P

$622 would be great.
Doesn't expedia or orbitz have some sort of low price guarantee?