Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Europe on a budget

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Marriott

We are traveling to Europe August 9- 25, flying into London out of Amsterdam. We are parents with a 23 & a 25 college kids tagging along. We wanted to fly into Italy out of Copenhagen...but flights were to costly, so took locations I could get 4 reward tickets on Delta. Now the challenge, we have Hilton ~ 500,000 and Marriott ~ 450,000 points to help with some hotels, free lodging in Copenhagen with our exchange student and his family. We want to visit Italy, Prague, Germany, in addition to London, Copenhagen & Amsterdam. We have never been to Europe, so I am not sure the best way to get from London to Italy. Not quite sure what rail pass to purchase. Is it best to fly one way from London to Italy or take the Chunnel to Paris, and then night train from Paris to Rome? We have all travel int'l before. Will we need to book 2 hotel rooms to sleep 4 of us? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:07 pm

It depends on your priorities - time, money and whether you like travelling by train or plane more. The cheapest way to get from London to Italy would be to fly (eg easyjet or Ryanair) but taking the train via Paris is an option. Italy - Prague- Germany - Copenhagen - Amsterdam might be best by train. If you plan ahead and book online you can probably do this more cheaply than by buying a rail pass in the US. seat61.com has good info on European rail travel. Rooms with two double beds are less common in Europe than the US but you can still find them in some places.... Good luck!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:25 am

I would recommend consolidating your list to see. 6 countries in just over 2 weeks is a lot of time spent traveling. Just a personal recommendation from someone that did 10 countries in a month and felt like I'd barely arrived somewhere when I was leaving again.

But, for your questions, I would fly the long jaunts, and train intra- and adjoining countries, simply for time purposes.

I just got back from Rome and Milan with a group of 7 and we were able to find some options for 4 people, just expect small double beds. All were booked through Orbitz to use their ever present coupon code and orbucks.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:59 am
sfx

it's peak season and most families have planned and booked their holidays, hence the high prices left.

BTW, no one calls it the Chunnel anymore. Channel Tunnel or Eurostar.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

I agree that 6 cities/ countries in just over 2 weeks is crazy. You could spend all that time just in London and Rome or Paris and still not see everything.

If it was me, I'd go to London, Paris and Amsterdam and maybe Copenhagen as well. The first 3 are all very close so you won't spend too much time travelling.

I see you have a lot of hotel points but if you can't find a way to use them and need to pay cash I would suggest looking at apartment rentals rather than hotels. You will find plenty of 2 bedroom places and will also have a kitchen and perhaps laundry facilities.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:38 am
sfx

London, Paris and Amsterdam and maybe Copenhagen
remember, all expensive cities for food/entertainment etc
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Try http://www.chunnel.com for more info on the trains.

I agree with the suggestions to consolidate your list into less stops. When I'm having trouble shortening my list, I count the number of days I actually have on the ground for the trip. I think it is 15 in your case. Then I subtract one day for each location change. A location change involves packing, checking out of hotel, finding transportation (cab/metro/walk?) to terminals, actual transportation
(bus/train/plane, finding new hotel, checking in and unpacking. Getting new maps. Sometimes even getting new currency.

You mentioned three cities and two countries. Lots of wonderful cities in those two countries, but I thought I'd only count two cities each. So - eight cities. This gives you seven full days at locations. Essentially, your trip will be one day at a city and one day changing locations.

You all are young enough to go back many times. I vote for more time at locations. Sitting in a sidewalk cafe or just wandering. Letting that exchange student family show you Denmark.

Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; Mar 14, 2014 at 11:33 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by gonzalesflyer
seat61.com
^^^

Don't miss this. Instructions on how to buy train tickets for much less. It really works. Get an understanding of just when things go on sale via the web sites mentioned, and then jump on the long run tickets just when the sale starts. They go fast.

For shorter hops, it is just as easy to buy the tickets from a machine at the station.

Do check bus fares also though. I learned that buses in the Nice area were only one Euro in all directions, whereas train fares were several Euros. And sometimes the buses had more convenient schedules and stops.

For London, the Oyster card can save.

Romelle
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! Greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:51 am
sfx

Originally Posted by Romelle
^^^

For shorter hops, it is just as easy to buy the tickets from a machine at the station.

Do check bus fares also though. I learned that buses in the Nice area were only one Euro in all directions, whereas train fares were several Euros. And sometimes the buses had more convenient schedules and stops.

For London, the Oyster card can save.

Romelle
the general rule with UK train tickets, city to city buy advance, city to town walk up is generally the same price. travel off peak for big savings (50% or more). If you are unfamiliar, always go to the ticket office, and ask for the cheapest ticket. there are things like "group save" for four or more people,

big eurostar savings buying in advance, no promotions during the summer.

Oyster card saves money after two exits, and is a no brainer.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not the most well thought out plan for a holiday in my opinion. If airfare to the cities you want to visit is already too expensive for you, dont try to visit all those destinations during the peak holiday season. Especially if you haven't got reservations already using points.

And taking a train between London and Italy is a bit ridiculous as well. Expensive and takes about two days. Flying the LLC's in Europe for these routes is the way to go.... But prices will be high since it's the holiday season.

Forget about Italy and Prague unless you are flying. And cut down on your destinations and try to see something outside the major cities.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:28 am
sfx

inter-europe flights start here: skyscanner.com
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

We are very flexible with where we go in Europe, only required place is Copenhagen to see our exchange student and his family. Our challenge were our dates of when we could go. By changing the cities we flew into and out of I saved $2,300 USD, this gives us more flexibility for places to visit. We don't mind staying in hostels in a few cities if it allows us to see more. Looks like flying from Copenhagen to Amsterdam is our best option and flying London to Rome, if we decide to go to Italy. Thinking about doing London high speed train to Paris, then train to Germany and Prague and up to Copenhagen.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Originally Posted by Leippra2
We are very flexible with where we go in Europe, only required place is Copenhagen to see our exchange student and his family. Our challenge were our dates of when we could go. By changing the cities we flew into and out of I saved $2,300 USD, this gives us more flexibility for places to visit. We don't mind staying in hostels in a few cities if it allows us to see more. Looks like flying from Copenhagen to Amsterdam is our best option and flying London to Rome, if we decide to go to Italy. Thinking about doing London high speed train to Paris, then train to Germany and Prague and up to Copenhagen.
In your original post, you mentioned that you have quite a few hotel points. I would use them in Europe because hotels tend to be more expensive there and you get pretty good redemption value for them.

Echoing the sentiment in the thread, I would also suggest narrowing the list down to a maximum of 4 cities(countries). I used to wonder (before living in Europe) why they would plan to spend 1 week in a North American city when they travel. Europeans are slower paced travelers, and their cities reflect this. Things aren't always open and they're going to be huge lines for some attractions (due to their lower priced - often free - museums and cultural attractions). Italy is probably the most reflective of this...

I assume you will want to catch up with the exchange student and his/her family. Getting a substantial experience may take up to a week (especially if you decide to hop over to Sweden).

For trains, you may also want to look into ones that go overnight - it "saves" you the travel time and a night in a hotel. It's also a pretty neat experience. There are cabins for 4 with bunks.

If I were you, I'd spend a week in Copenhagen and really get immersed there, then pick two of London, Amsterdam, Paris, and Rome (3-4 days in each).
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:56 am
sfx

there is also plenty of stuff in europe without going to the big capitals.

copenhagen > short train into Hamburg or across the bridge to Sweden (20mins). Ferry to Oslo. Oslo flight to London or Scotland. Hamburg train to Amsterdam.

you can get cheap hotels on booking.com without slumming it in hostels (in cities these will be filled with college kids drinking til 5am). Hostels are totally different in the countryside, and good there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.