Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Night Before A Flight Out Of LAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Anything worth recommending close to LAX for when I'm leaving on an early flight? Cheap, of course. (isn't that why we're here?). There are some pretty dumpy looking places south of the airport along Sepulveda. Anything crummy but good?

I usually have a rental car with me so free parking is important. I was surprised that the dumpy Travelodge South charges for parking. I've probably used the Extended Stay there more than anywhere else. Towne Place on Airport Blvd near Rosecrans has a good rate over the weekend but more than I'd like to spend for an overnight week night.

PLEASE - before you shoot from the hip on this one, I'm looking for names of places, not booking sites, YMCA, or homeless shelters.

Last edited by Mike Rivers; Nov 29, 2013 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold

You should just use Priceline.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AS 100K

I'll bet you can find some great AirBnB places in Westchester.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)

Expedia secret sale worked for me
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Priceline or hotwire. You can get a pretty good idea if not figure out which hotel you're getting if you do some research. Check out betterbidding
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for trying, but I was looking for specific recommendations, not resources. I know about the resources, though betterbidding is new to me.

I've not been impressed with Priceline. I really like to know where I'm going to be staying before I put my money down and I guess I don't really have the patience to try to find the unnamed hotel. And when I look at the listings with prices, they're never more than a couple of dollars different (and sometimes even higher) than going directly to the hotel's own web site.

I've checked AirBnB and didn't find anything in the nearby area, and with the fees, it might be a good deal if that's what you're looking for, but it's really not suitable for when you check in about 6 or 7 PM and check out by 6 AM the next morning.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Mike,

Look for the "guaranteed amenities" symbols - Free Parking, Free Breakfast, etc. Whatever is important to you for your particular trip.

Hotwire and Priceline Express show them, and sometimes even Priceline bidding.

If you post the list of amenities on betterbidding, and the specifics like price and date, the moderators can generally give you a pretty reliable "educated guess" as to what hotel you will get.

Hotwire and Priceline Express are sort of middle ground between the unknown of bidding and just booking your hotel directly. You can get a good idea of what you will likely get and still get most of the savings.

The plunge into bidding tends to yield the best savings, but really isn't for everybody.

Romelle
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
If you are considering overnighting somewhere dumpy, staying in the terminal might be a better option. I slept in TBIT one night and it was actually not that bad. They have long cushioned benches in the food area on the upper level landside that are quite comfy and after midnight the terminal is quite quiet.

You might have higher standards than me though... I'm known for sleeping anywhere. University does that to you
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by siaa380
If you are considering overnighting somewhere dumpy, staying in the terminal might be a better option.
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my initial message. This isn't about finding:
  • The absolutely cheapest place to spend the night near LAX
  • Ways to find a good rate at a hotel around LAX

What I was hoping was to gather the names of a few places others have stayed at which are in the area, are legitimate hotels or motels, don't make you feel like you need to have a bodyguard if you go outside, and might even be a brand for which I have a frequent guest card (though I've checked out most of those already, and stayed in a few).
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
I stayed recently at the Radisson and the Holiday Inn near LAX. Both were good value for money. I do not know about parking arrangements at either as I was sans car.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
If parking fees are one of your concerns, why not return the car to the rental agency the night before your flight and then use any of one the airport hotels that run shuttles to/from LAX?

Last edited by bse118; Nov 29, 2013 at 10:32 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I've stayed at both Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn when traveling on my company's dime about 5 years ago. Holiday Inn is rather expensive during the week, but when business travelers go home, they are about the same price starting on Friday night. While there was no restaurant at Hampton Inn, I found the place nicer as it was much newer. IIRC both charge for parking, but both have shuttles to LAX.

IIRC there are also some mom and pop type places nearby, but don't have experience with those.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Try el segundo

Ive stayed at the hilton garden inn。its the flagship hgi and。company owned so its nice with free parking。 the embassy suites next to mattel has free parking too。
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:39 pm

Late to the party, but I really think it would be worth driving a bit out of the LAX area to stay at a nicer hotel if you have a rental car. If you have an early departure there won't be any traffic on the way to the airport.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I stayed at a place called the Hacienda, which also had a free shuttle to the airport if needed. It was pretty cheap and very good, I thought, not luxurious but not in the dumpy category. There was a decent bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.