Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Night Before A Flight Out Of LAX

Night Before A Flight Out Of LAX

Old Mar 25, 14, 3:26 am

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Really budget:

Terminal 6, head on down to the 4-some seats without armrests. I often don't want to make friends drive me to the airport hella early (also don't want to oversleep and miss the plane). I bring a sleeping bag (I usually need this for backpacking/freezing temp's on plane), earplugs, and mask and I'm all set.
No one has ever bothered me there.

There's a hostel for about $35 that has a free 24 hr shuttle ($25 if you aren't a CA resident), includes "breakfast" (decent blueberry muffin and coffee), all you can eat popcorn, and spaghetti dinner. Even has pool tables, videogames, and a pool. I got stranded at the airport once and this came in handy.

Budget also means a good deal, so you might want to know there is also a decent HI express in Hawthorne that has 11k bonus available most nights. $150 or so with the bonus pkg but possibly worth it to you? Make sure to couple this with your Big Win promo and sign up for all the other ones. I made 33k the last 2-night stay I had there, not including Big Win points.
Old Mar 25, 14, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm a little old to be sleeping on a park bench. I've looked at that Holiday Inn Express before but always chose somewhere else. I never stay at any chain enough to take advantage of points or bonuses.
Old Mar 27, 14, 4:24 am

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
You can get IHG platinum status for free, and be eligible for bonuses. 33k will get you nearly 7 nights on point breaks....
Old Mar 27, 14, 6:46 am
sfx

I'd have thought the consensus rating of a few hundred people on a site like booking.com would be a better guide than a few one off recomendations?
Old Mar 27, 14, 5:53 pm

Four Points, with Starwood points, is perfectly fine and a pretty good deal.

My opinion is, if I'm spending (for example) $60 in an urban US airport zone, I'll almost always do better using Priceline or Hotwire than I will spending the $60 directly, even if I don't know the precise 3 or 3.5* or 4* hotel, it will no doubt be better than a 1* I choose for the same price. In a few cases, precise location is essential, and I have to up my budget.

Search this Thread