Sleeping in an Airport on a Budget

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping in an Airport on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by davewill
Sleeping in airports alone probably isn't the greatest idea. Like newyorkgeorge, I usually stay up. Usually I bring some reading materials, etc to keep me occupied. For the most part, no one hassles you about being there overnight. They see it almost every night.

That said, I certainly have seen people with sleeping bags, the whole nine yards. But generally the best thing to do is read sleepinginairports.net and find out where there are seats without dividers. Then you can actually lay down a little bit rather than sitting uncomfortably.

Why do you say "sleeping outside" DCA? The terminal should be open 24/7.
that is a good site to visit but there are probably just a handful of reviews by complete strangers (whom you can't verify actually did so). but it would take a pretty bored person to make something like that up.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:37 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

New one on the list, and not the worst (surprisingly): RUH. SV booted me from a J seat (whatever), so I found a rather quiet nook in which to nap, near a series of travelators.

At least one of the coffee shops (in the section of one of the terminals where passengers board non-SV flights) offered internet with a purchase.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:03 am

I was on an overnight layover on Lufthansa returning from Tel Aviv via Frankfurt to San Francisco. I debated whether to stay overnight at the airport. I went online and found a Hotel for $75 on Hotwire(It was the Mercure). For $13 I got breakfast. Not only did I have a comfortable sleep I swam in the hotel's indoor pool upon checkin, took a nice bath before heading to the airport and had a full breakfast.

I myself wouldn't sacrifice my health or sleep by sleeping at the airport but if I knew there was a quiet area then I may just sleep there. I've always wondered could you just sleep behind the ticket counter of your airline and be the first in line to check in?

One other option is to find an airline lounge that closes around midnight 1 AM and opens at 4 AM. In between these times ask the lounge agent where he or she suggest you sleep until they reopen.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Sleeping in New Orleans

I recently slept at Terminal D in New Orleans before a 6 AM flight.

Firstly there is nothing open after 8-9 PM so bring everything you need.

As to the sleeping arrangements there are very comfortable seats and even sofa lounges with partitions making a sort of private enclave. There are security patrols on segways every so often and no vacuming. There were next to no announcements and at about 4 AM things started to come alive.

Not a bad place at all
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:07 am

Had the misfortune to overnight on the cold granite floor at the airport in Beijing in the wintertime. I would have about killed for that pool float, and a blanket. They would have made all the difference in the world for comfort.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:51 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
I've always wondered could you just sleep behind the ticket counter of your airline and be the first in line to check in?
Pretty much all US airlines and many, many overseas airlines (all that I've flown in past 8 years) board by groups related to status / credit card membership, so you'd be first in line for your group
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:27 am
sfx

and after everyone who checked in online.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:25 am

If you don't have any problem then its Ok but I don't think its a good option.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:00 pm
Suspended

I did this in Lima, Peru a few years back, and apparently it's pretty common, because lots of the flights from the U.S. get in around midnight, and the flights to Cusco all leave early in the morning because of issues with weather flying over the Andes, which are over 16,000 feet between Lima and Cusco - which itself is over 11,000 feet in altitude. So if you are flying into Cusco, which is the gateway to Machu Picchu, you're almost certainly looking at a 5-7 hour layover from roughly midnight to early the next morning. Also, the only hotel at or near the airport is a very expensive Ramada that is basically low end but charges over $200 a night for these typically 4-5 hour overnight stays.

There must have been well over two dozen people doing it the same night that I did.

It was uneventful, except for the janitorial crew which was navigating around the 25-30 of us with the big rotary floor waxers at around 4 AM.

Last edited by lhgreengrd1; Jun 17, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In 2012 I slept in a pair of airports.

- ORD. Arrived at Midnight, through immigration/customs and back with my bag around 1 AM. Next flight at 6:20 AM. Cheapest hotel was $75 and it was horribly reviewed (some Ramada property) so I slept at the airport. I found an area behind a Hudson News in the baggage claim area of Terminal 1. The problem was there were incessant annoucements (welcome to Chicago! This is a security message! etc.) and it was freezing cold. I got about an hour of sleep. Thankfully, the security checkpoint opened at 4 and the United Club at 4:30. Still, a bad experience.

- YVR. Arrived at 1 AM, long long secondary search at immigration got me through at after 2 AM. Next flight at 6 AM. Found a comfortable set of seats in the lower level outside customers/immigration and laid down for a few hours. A much better experience.

These days I have more money and less patience and probably wouldn't do it again unless hotels were prohibitively expensive.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I've slept in a few airports. The most recent was a MR Phx-Bos. Grabbed a donut from Dunkin outside security, and found a spot to already taken to curl up. By the time I got there 11:30? Most of the good spots were already taken, but I was able to stretch out somewhat.

Before that, it was due to a late flight Cdg-IAd, so missed my connection. Found a quiet nook with a baggage cart, which I made into a reasonable bed. Even had outlets right next to me to recharge :-)
Never thought out the inflatable pool float, but that is definitely going in my travel bag!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Many
Stayed at Oslo just a couple of weeks ago. There were maybe three dozen people sleeping at the airport, with nobody paying any attention to them at all. My problem was arriving into Oslo at 11:00 p.m. with a departure the next morning at 6:00 a.m. Hotels are outrageously priced for what would have been just 4-5 hours of sleep anyway.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Agree on OSL. If it's for a private flight I'd never even consider taking an airport hotel (200 euro a night or so by default for the one closes to the terminal?). OSL doesn't have any benches to rest on at night. The only seating is found behind the security check. There is, as alternative solution, a very early airport express train arriving at 5-ish in the morning, departing 20 minutes earlier from OSL. You may consider a night in a hostel close to central station, which should set you back about 40 euro or so. Plus 25 for the train. Just ignore all the junkies, beggars and hookers you'll encounter on your way there.

For when it comes to sleeping in airports, I've done that more than I'd like to. Especially when I was a student I did traveling on extreme budget and then every free night was welcome.

The last encounter I had with sleeping at an airport was at FRA. LH couldn't make my connection and I got rebooked to the next morning. As LH didn\t have any hotel rooms available in any hotel nearby anymore, I just got an economy long haul blanket and pillow and a 'good luck' wish. I found a bench where I could lay flaat and where not too many people were walking by. It was downstairs from the check in area, almost at the end of the corridor. I managed to survivie and none of my stuff was stolen. The most annoying thing is the continuous messaging 'Achtung, Sicherheitshinweis'.

Another (at the time) LH joint was DUS. I caught a flight at 6 AM to OSL and wanted to sleep. There are quite a few benches near the (former) LH check in facilities. If these are taken, then just continue all the way down to area C via the shops and restaurants. There will probably be something empty at some point.

I also slept at DTM. I had a very early W6 flight to KBP at the time and I didn't feel like getting to a hotel or so. Just be on time at DTM as they'll close the airport for the night. They won't boot you when you're already inside. There are a few benches in the main terminal building. It was an ok night, also because I was the only one around, apart from a cleaner.

I had to sleep once at NRN, as I had a very early flight to Turin. NRN is literally packed with people who do a low budget experience. I managed to find a bench upstairs and make myself comfortable. NRN has been expanded, changed and refurbished a few times since, so I don't know how it's to sleep now. As FR is still the main airline, I guess there's still a huge overnight crowd at the airport, though.

One experience was at AMS, at three different occasions. The first occasion I was returning from VIE with SkyEurope. It was for work. The flight got delayed 12 hours as SkyEurope was grounded over not paying its bills. This made me arrive somewhat at 3 at night. As I had hand luggage only, I stayed airside and found a few very comfortable seats near Pier D. My boss had a good laugh when I arrived next day, being completely worn out. The other 2 occasions were caused by delay and by flying a charter flight with a crappy arrival time. In those cases I had to pick up luggage, which means that there's no way to stay airside. On land side there is a few comfortable benches between the shops, but those are most likely taken by the first sleepers. There is also a few shops and bars that close at night and offer some benches. For example the ice cream shop next to the Burger King. It's wood, but ok enough for a few hours. Nothing can be found on departure level, nothing can be found on even higher levels of the airport. You may actually be booted if you go there at night.

Another experience was at KTW at night. There are a lot of people trying to sleep here at night. Just don't look drunk, suspicious or like a tramp: you'll be booted instantly. It's hard to find a good place for sleeping here.

Even worse was my experience in the old KBP, before they had the new terminal. I had a very early departure, I arranged a taxi to the airport and I even had a hotel room. However, I had been warned that it might be a madhouse in the morning, so it was necessary to arrive a few ours early. This proved to be completely true. The place was packed like Times Square at New Year's eve. Unbelievable. And indeed, security took a while. There was absolutely no place to sleep for the remaining time before flight departure.

Furthermore, I had a nice overnight once ad MAD. I found myself at a bench near one of the exits on the lower level. No one bothered me, it was all in all ok.

And finally I had an overnight stay on STN. As goes for NRN, it's a FR place, which means lots of people on a total budget travel experience. Come early or there will be no more room for you. Stand up and your place is taken. Despite the rain, people were even trying to camp outside, because it was too packed inside. Never again for me!

And finally, I had almost one night to kill at DXB. The good thing is that somewhere in T1 there are some capsules for hire, which are small but comfortable and quite well isolated. The bad thing is that it's $20 per hour or so. I was there for 3 hours and had a nice nap. Alternatively you can also go to a hotel in T1 (and T3 I believe), although 200 euro per night is a bit much, especially when traveling on a budget. There are a lot of benches, especially when you get a bit further away from the food court and the tax free shops. It's not bad, but I can't imagine having a few hours sleep there (and still having all my possessions when I wake up. There's some weird folks out there).

Well, I hope the above is a bit useful for anyone.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm contemplating doing this at JFK.

Flight gets in around 10:30pm with my next flight at 8:15am.
Can check in around 5:15am and go to the Flagship Admiral's Club for a shower and breakfast at that point so after collecting luggage (assuming I check it), going to be around 6 hrs tops.

Most hotels seem to be $120 inc. taxes (£71 + taxes?) up to $180 near the airport.

Have survived 3-4 hours at San Juan. Eerie being in a quiet airport!

Sometimes it doesn't seem worth it for a short period. I'd be lucky to get 3-4 hrs sleep, assuming I could sleep and no idea how long a hotel shuttle would take to pick me up which would eat into my hotel time.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UltraRant
Agree on OSL. If it's for a private flight I'd never even consider taking an airport hotel (200 euro a night or so by default for the one closes to the terminal?). OSL doesn't have any benches to rest on at night. The only seating is found behind the security check. There is, as alternative solution, a very early airport express train arriving at 5-ish in the morning, departing 20 minutes earlier from OSL. You may consider a night in a hostel close to central station, which should set you back about 40 euro or so. Plus 25 for the train. Just ignore all the junkies, beggars and hookers you'll encounter on your way there.

For when it comes to sleeping in airports, I've done that more than I'd like to. Especially when I was a student I did traveling on extreme budget and then every free night was welcome.

The last encounter I had with sleeping at an airport was at FRA. LH couldn't make my connection and I got rebooked to the next morning. As LH didn\t have any hotel rooms available in any hotel nearby anymore, I just got an economy long haul blanket and pillow and a 'good luck' wish. I found a bench where I could lay flaat and where not too many people were walking by. It was downstairs from the check in area, almost at the end of the corridor. I managed to survivie and none of my stuff was stolen. The most annoying thing is the continuous messaging 'Achtung, Sicherheitshinweis'.

Another (at the time) LH joint was DUS. I caught a flight at 6 AM to OSL and wanted to sleep. There are quite a few benches near the (former) LH check in facilities. If these are taken, then just continue all the way down to area C via the shops and restaurants. There will probably be something empty at some point.

I also slept at DTM. I had a very early W6 flight to KBP at the time and I didn't feel like getting to a hotel or so. Just be on time at DTM as they'll close the airport for the night. They won't boot you when you're already inside. There are a few benches in the main terminal building. It was an ok night, also because I was the only one around, apart from a cleaner.

I had to sleep once at NRN, as I had a very early flight to Turin. NRN is literally packed with people who do a low budget experience. I managed to find a bench upstairs and make myself comfortable. NRN has been expanded, changed and refurbished a few times since, so I don't know how it's to sleep now. As FR is still the main airline, I guess there's still a huge overnight crowd at the airport, though.

One experience was at AMS, at three different occasions. The first occasion I was returning from VIE with SkyEurope. It was for work. The flight got delayed 12 hours as SkyEurope was grounded over not paying its bills. This made me arrive somewhat at 3 at night. As I had hand luggage only, I stayed airside and found a few very comfortable seats near Pier D. My boss had a good laugh when I arrived next day, being completely worn out. The other 2 occasions were caused by delay and by flying a charter flight with a crappy arrival time. In those cases I had to pick up luggage, which means that there's no way to stay airside. On land side there is a few comfortable benches between the shops, but those are most likely taken by the first sleepers. There is also a few shops and bars that close at night and offer some benches. For example the ice cream shop next to the Burger King. It's wood, but ok enough for a few hours. Nothing can be found on departure level, nothing can be found on even higher levels of the airport. You may actually be booted if you go there at night.

Another experience was at KTW at night. There are a lot of people trying to sleep here at night. Just don't look drunk, suspicious or like a tramp: you'll be booted instantly. It's hard to find a good place for sleeping here.

Even worse was my experience in the old KBP, before they had the new terminal. I had a very early departure, I arranged a taxi to the airport and I even had a hotel room. However, I had been warned that it might be a madhouse in the morning, so it was necessary to arrive a few ours early. This proved to be completely true. The place was packed like Times Square at New Year's eve. Unbelievable. And indeed, security took a while. There was absolutely no place to sleep for the remaining time before flight departure.

Furthermore, I had a nice overnight once ad MAD. I found myself at a bench near one of the exits on the lower level. No one bothered me, it was all in all ok.

And finally I had an overnight stay on STN. As goes for NRN, it's a FR place, which means lots of people on a total budget travel experience. Come early or there will be no more room for you. Stand up and your place is taken. Despite the rain, people were even trying to camp outside, because it was too packed inside. Never again for me!

And finally, I had almost one night to kill at DXB. The good thing is that somewhere in T1 there are some capsules for hire, which are small but comfortable and quite well isolated. The bad thing is that it's $20 per hour or so. I was there for 3 hours and had a nice nap. Alternatively you can also go to a hotel in T1 (and T3 I believe), although 200 euro per night is a bit much, especially when traveling on a budget. There are a lot of benches, especially when you get a bit further away from the food court and the tax free shops. It's not bad, but I can't imagine having a few hours sleep there (and still having all my possessions when I wake up. There's some weird folks out there).

Well, I hope the above is a bit useful for anyone.
RE : Oslo airport hotels,there is a Thon hotel with airport shutle regularly charging less than 600 (70 Euro) NOK,with a Norwegian bufe breakfast,the shuttle is 70 NOK each way.Its in the midle of nowhere,but absolutely OK for a night.Dont know if there are shuttles realy,realy early,though.

If your a member of Thon hotels loyalty program or GHA,you even get points for staying.

Last edited by geirfugl; Aug 18, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.