Sleeping in an Airport on a Budget

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping in an Airport on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Backpack for pillow makes for a big pillow!

I always snap my backpack onto something when I'm sleeping. 95% of crime is a crime of opportunity, so if they give it a quick tug and it doesn't budge, it's pretty unlikely to get stolen. There's places in South America where I've had policia (english "police") come tell me to watch my bag, so I wouldn't trust that there, they've got knives for snipping stuff (the paranoid either weave guitar string thru all their straps or buy a PacSafe).

Another good technique is to put a bell on your backpack. Thieves like quiet. I used to have a stainless-steel cup on my bag. It klanged all over the place on buses and the like. Sadly, I was using it for a week as the cup for my rum and coke, and someone broke into my room that week and nabbed my camera. Karma.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:08 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Backpack for pillow makes for a big pillow!

I always snap my backpack onto something when I'm sleeping. 95% of crime is a crime of opportunity, so if they give it a quick tug and it doesn't budge, it's pretty unlikely to get stolen. There's places in South America where I've had policia (english "police") come tell me to watch my bag, so I wouldn't trust that there, they've got knives for snipping stuff (the paranoid either weave guitar string thru all their straps or buy a PacSafe).

Another good technique is to put a bell on your backpack. Thieves like quiet. I used to have a stainless-steel cup on my bag. It klanged all over the place on buses and the like. Sadly, I was using it for a week as the cup for my rum and coke, and someone broke into my room that week and nabbed my camera. Karma.
Thieves like quiet? Then why are they bopping around city buses and tourist traps just as lithely?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
With SuperStorm Sandy disrupting flights, many folks likely are sleeping in airports now.

When I have to overnight in an airport (usually due to weather), I do take precautions to protect my stuff. I put my wallet and money inside my clothing as close to my skin as possible.

I wear a Scott-e-Vest or similar with my electronics in the pockets.

I use my carry on bag as a pillow.

I make friends with people around me to watch stuff when leaving the immediate area to get to the toilet or to fetch food (but I still wear my valuables)

And, I don't sleep much.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:50 pm

I plan to sleep in Stockholm Arlanda upon arrival in January, as I am scheduled to arrive around midnight, and I'd rather not pay for a room that I'd only use for under 10 hours (even though the converted 747 hostel is tempting). I haven't decided if I should remain inside Terminal 5, where I think it might be quieter and less busy. Is the 7-11 Express in T5 open 24 hours? Are there luggage lockers in terminal 5 (I believe they are available pre-security)?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: AA CO DL
Never had a problem sleeping in terminals...in fact, at EWR they kick you out of the secured area....then you must sleep on the hard floor. The great thing about Newark, is that around 8 or 9 pm...most flights are done, and the homeless and bums in the know come into the terminal and pick the choice spots. !!! that night, no cold floor for me.....I snagged one of the hot air vents built into the sidewalls....slept like a baby. Had a nice chat with the local hobo next to me, sadly another nam vet dealing with PTS.

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
With SuperStorm Sandy disrupting flights, many folks likely are sleeping in airports now.

When I have to overnight in an airport (usually due to weather), I do take precautions to protect my stuff. I put my wallet and money inside my clothing as close to my skin as possible.

I wear a Scott-e-Vest or similar with my electronics in the pockets.

I use my carry on bag as a pillow.

I make friends with people around me to watch stuff when leaving the immediate area to get to the toilet or to fetch food (but I still wear my valuables)

And, I don't sleep much.
On a related item....I saw a backpack with a steel cable harness wrapped around it. Guy said he bought it in Mexico...no way do you get into that pack, you lock it to a post and it is there waiting for the key.

Last edited by EmailKid; Oct 31, 2012 at 7:42 am Reason: Back to back posts on the same topic
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by airboss
On a related item....I saw a backpack with a steel cable harness wrapped around it. Guy said he bought it in Mexico...no way do you get into that pack, you lock it to a post and it is there waiting for the key.
Was it a PackSafe? I always wondered if having one of those metal cages for your backpack was calling more attention to your bad than you'd want. It says, "something in here is really valuable, steal it!"

As for thieves liking quiet, they are trying to be sneaky and not get caught. As soon as a bag makes any noise, they're dropping it and running. Noise calls attention to the bad things they're doing!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:02 pm

I just slept in Miami Airport. It was freezingly cold. Had to go outside once in a while. It was comfortable, hot outside, but freezingly cold inside. Didn't make any sense. It was not comfortable and wifi is chargeable Low cost airport Ft. Lauderdale offers free internet!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by travelafrica
t was comfortable, hot outside, but freezingly cold inside. Didn't make any sense.
It offsets the heat created by having thousands of bodies pass through during the day. In some cases, it's more effective to leave the temperature at a constant than lessen it at night and make it work harder to bring it to acceptable levels come daytime.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:41 am

There was some poll recently about the best airports to sleep in: http://www.sleepinginairports.net/20...t-airports.htm. I've spent the night in Changi Airport (Singapore) before, and it's perfect for a few hours' nap. Plus there's free wi-fi and 24hr restaurants
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
THey hassled you eve with FA credentials?

Originally Posted by cfuss
I was a flight attendant in my previous life, and would get drunk and miss late night flights and have to find places to crash.... Like airports. Pre 911 it was easy to find good places to crash, afterwards i got hassled.

It has been 10 years since i had to crash on an airport floor, and am really interested to see how loose security is now days (judging by this post).

I reread the OP... I say bad idea. Not because of anything else but the sleep in an airport sucks, and should only be done out of necessity... Or serious intoxication
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:03 am

I have slept in airports in most of my travels since I like to take early flights to places that I like to go to. In anticipation to lounges being closed at night, I usually take a break earlier...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:11 pm

Imo, it's not worth it, if you save up only $50.
You'll spend that in the airport anyway, same dunkin donuts since you'll be bored anyway, I don't know at least for me it's hard to sleep in public places, i would not feel comfortable with that.
So I would rather spend those $50 than sleep in the airport.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
I've slept in airports a few times. The worst was in 1998, when I had to spend 36 hours in Paris de Gaulle as the result of a French rail strike. (Was broke, needed to come from Spain on a rail pass before the strike began.) That's one of the worst airports in the world, and it was a truly miserable experience. Molded plastic chairs make sleep impossible.

Last March, weather caused me to miss a connecting flight at Dulles. Waited on standby forever, finally got into a 6am flight. Dulles wasn't the worst airport I've slept in.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:05 pm

I agree with airports can be very cold overnight. I would pack a small blanket (if you don't need it, use it for a pillow)
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNevil
Imo, it's not worth it, if you save up only $50.
You'll spend that in the airport anyway, same dunkin donuts since you'll be bored anyway, I don't know at least for me it's hard to sleep in public places, i would not feel comfortable with that.
So I would rather spend those $50 than sleep in the airport.
Where can you find a place for $50 near an airport in the US/Europe? Plus R/T transport?

I am not sure what I think:

One one hand society doesn't mind people sleeping in the airport. Or tolerates.

On the other hand, airports do nothing to help - sleeping areas, etc. Singapore is the one exception I can think of.

A communal sleeping chair area charging $10 and requiring some proof of travel would be a nice thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.