Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:58 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
SPG AAA rates are usually below non-refundable rates and are cancellable until 1-2 days before arrival. Makes it worth $50 annually for me.

Same with $25 student membership for American Bar Association.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
In California at least, AAA acts as a mini DMV office, letting you take care of a lot of paperwork that might take days or weeks dealing with our underfunded state agencies. That itself was worth the fee to me this year.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:50 pm

AAA

I have MCA,. I got it because I like the sound of unlimited. I even use it for friends when they are in trouble. I recently got 50% off my new designer frames at lens crafters. It says I can get 65% off medicine but have my user it yet. But the hotel and and car rentals discounts are good. And their travel agent got us maps and everything. I'm the type of woman that like to use every feature and benifit I pay for. I think its worth 20$ a month. Still seeing what all it can do. Lol. I can help you get it if you like.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm doing some consulting work for a very large rental car agency. Their negotiated travel rate (and code) with Marriott is still 10-20% more expensive than the AAA rate, and they both have the same cancellation policy. There are also two parking lots near DEN that give decent discounts with the AAA card.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:13 am

Original poster [OP]-

I am a AAA member and am able to 'stack' discounts via abnsave at my preferred hotel group (i.e. wyndham) and have had no problems at all with this. I just show my AAA card when checking in and I am set.

In addition to the AAA discount at wyndham properties, it's an easy 5-8% that is saved and over a period of 1 year that adds up....
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by cordelli
Most hotel websites, if booking online, do not require the membership number to get the discount, many just require to check a box or click a radio button. There are some however that do require a valid number to see the discounts.

You do not have to get coupons or anything else

Discounts may or may not apply across the world, some chains do it all over the world, some do not.
Hilton requires the AAA number at booking. Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, Starwood all do not.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:03 am

There are also some local roadside assistance and towing companies that can help you to avoid roadside emergencies. It depends on the city or area you are located or how far you on the highway. You need to browse their websites and contact with them for quick recovery of your vehicle. On the safe side, check your vehicle before going on road to save yourself from such situations.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I find it well worth it for the discounts. It's also nice to be able to get a jump when needed and to have someone change your tire if you're dressed for something and don't want to get dirty.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
I find it well worth it for the discounts. It's also nice to be able to get a jump when needed and to have someone change your tire if you're dressed for something and don't want to get dirty.
This is exactly what I keep the AAA membership for. The passport photo perk at $8 a set is pretty nice as I have a AAA close by.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
This is exactly what I keep the AAA membership for. The passport photo perk at $8 a set is pretty nice as I have a AAA close by.
This just came in handy. We were trying to buy a passport for our college aged daughter to join us on vacation and recently gifted her with a AAA membership. I didn't even think to check with them though, so thanks!

AARP can be pretty useful also and they don't verify your age. It gives you a 5% discount off of some airline ticket purchases which more than pays for itself, especially if you enroll with the 50% off coupon.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
In California at least, AAA acts as a mini DMV office, letting you take care of a lot of paperwork that might take days or weeks dealing with our underfunded state agencies. That itself was worth the fee to me this year.
I ended up using this feature a few months ago when my front plate fell off my car and got lost somewhere while I was driving. Other than it being kinda weird to make a check out directly to the DMV instead of AAA, it worked out well.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Interestingly I just received my renewal card and it's valid for 3 years (even though my membership renews annually). One could join, cancel and then get 3 years for 1. Although I intend to keep the card for other benefits outside the Marriott/Hilton discounts. I like the Notary services and sometimes use their DMV services as well.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Interestingly I just received my renewal card and it's valid for 3 years (even though my membership renews annually). One could join, cancel and then get 3 years for 1. Although I intend to keep the card for other benefits outside the Marriott/Hilton discounts. I like the Notary services and sometimes use their DMV services as well.
I am in the same boat. While it might work at third parties, going to AAA's own offices they swipe the card presumably to check for a valid membership.
EmailKid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.