FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budget Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/)
-   -   BoltBus starting PDX-SEA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel/1341629-boltbus-starting-pdx-sea.html)

aroundtheworld76 May 1, 2012 8:43 am

BoltBus starting PDX-SEA

Per the Oregonian. 4 r/t daily. While I love the Amtrak Cascades on this route, this may be an option on days when the train I need is sold out.

EmailKid May 1, 2012 9:33 pm

Nice to see them spreading out. Wish they would come to Texas @:-)

EmailKid

OverThereTooMuch May 2, 2012 12:08 am

Fares loaded, starts on 5/17. Through 5/21, looks like all fares are $1 each way (+ $1 transaction fee). $6-10 fares each way on other days. Don't think the train can match that.

Palal May 2, 2012 7:55 am

And SEA-Vancouver?

Bear4Asian May 2, 2012 8:06 am

Anyone use BoltBus in the SEA/PDX area to trick up better fares?

WillTravel May 2, 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 18498927)
And SEA-Vancouver?

I'd love to see more options, but here are the cheapest ones:

QuickShuttle - with the Entertainment Book coupon of 50% off, you can get $48/2 = $24 round trip from downtown Vancouver to downtown Seattle.

Greyhound - advance purchase, you can get a $15 one-way ticket.

Amtrak sometimes has a 2-for-1, in which case, it would be 2 for $40 (typically), on either the bus or train.

philosophy_king May 4, 2012 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 18498927)
And SEA-Vancouver?

Yes on their website https://www.boltbus.com/wherewetravel.aspx it said there is SEA-Vancouver, but how to book it?

Thanks OP I just booked SEA<->Porland!:D^

nd2010 May 7, 2012 12:14 am

You could grab 8 $1 fares and get a free Bolt Bus ticket anywhere Bolt goes. So basically it'll cost $8. I'm going to do this and eventually use it to get a Bolt Bus ticket in the northeast. Unlike mileage runs, you don't need to ride the bus back and forth to get the points.

If it were an airline offering a deal like this, we Flyertalkers would jump on it!

I wish Bolt Bus would offer similar services between cities about 200-300 miles apart. That's the sweet spot in which flying won't save much, if any time, it's a long drive, Amtrak is super-expensive or non-existant. It doesn't have the social stigma of Greyhound and can attract a better clientele. A few city pairs that would be good for this: LA-Vegas, LA-San Diego, NY-Pittsburgh, Chicago-Milwaukee, St Louis-Kansas City, Miami-Orlando, Charlotte-Atlanta

ofto May 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel (Post 18501275)
I'd love to see more options, but here are the cheapest ones:

QuickShuttle - with the Entertainment Book coupon of 50% off, you can get $48/2 = $24 round trip from downtown Vancouver to downtown Seattle.

Greyhound - advance purchase, you can get a $15 one-way ticket.

Amtrak sometimes has a 2-for-1, in which case, it would be 2 for $40 (typically), on either the bus or train.

Yep, Boltbus is bookable 4x daily in June now.

Pretty crazy with now:
4x Cantrail $40 (also sold as Amtrak bus)
8x QuickShuttle $43
5x Greyhound $14 and up
2x Amtrak $38
4x Bolt $1 and up

I wonder if Cantrail and QuickShuttle can make it just on their airport service. I guess we'll see.

fairviewroad May 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian (Post 18499004)
Anyone use BoltBus in the SEA/PDX area to trick up better fares?

:confused:

Not sure what you mean by this...

ofto May 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by nd2010 (Post 18526972)
I wish Bolt Bus would offer similar services between cities about 200-300 miles apart. That's the sweet spot in which flying won't save much, if any time, it's a long drive, Amtrak is super-expensive or non-existant. It doesn't have the social stigma of Greyhound and can attract a better clientele. A few city pairs that would be good for this: LA-Vegas, LA-San Diego, NY-Pittsburgh, Chicago-Milwaukee, St Louis-Kansas City, Miami-Orlando, Charlotte-Atlanta

Interestingly megabus has tried go get in on these. Since they have a pretty similar business model it seems like they're not all that viable:
LA-Vegas megabus gave it up. There are dragon buses, though.
LA-San Diego megabus gave it up but its run by the Mexican-American $1 bus Curcero.
NY-Pittsburg megabus is still on it and has a hub in Pittsburg
Chicago-Milwaukee service used to be frequent but now its only as part of Chicago - Minneapolis runs a couple times daily.
St Louis - Kansas City was never frequent but is still run by megabus.
Miami - Orlando there's Argentinia-American RedCoach
Charlotte - Atlanta megabus recently started

ofto May 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad (Post 18574718)
:confused:

Not sure what you mean by this...

This, using the Boltbus loyalty program:

Originally Posted by nd2010 (Post 18526972)
You could grab 8 $1 fares and get a free Bolt Bus ticket anywhere Bolt goes. So basically it'll cost $8. I'm going to do this and eventually use it to get a Bolt Bus ticket in the northeast. Unlike mileage runs, you don't need to ride the bus back and forth to get the points.

Its a milage running site after all!