Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Driving cross-country - can I use miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks,
We're driving across country and are pretty well set with places to stay, between using Expedia coupons, Hilton points, staying with friends, using the Affordable Travel Club, etc. But how to pay for food and gas? We have a lot of miles with a lot of airlines (American, United, US Air, Hawaiian, Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Southwest, Jetblue). Is there a good way to use these to buy food (either at restaurants or grocery stores) and gas? Those will be our biggest expenses on the road.
Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Not any way that would make financial sense. You may be able to transfer miles, but that almost always makes the miles lose money.

EmailKid
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
I think the SW points can be used pretty easily for gift cards at walmart that might help with food costs. Some Walmarts / Sams also have gas pumps.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Depending on your Delta status and if you have their AmEx, you might be able to turn those miles into gift cards also.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by MJLouise
I think the SW points can be used pretty easily for gift cards at walmart that might help with food costs.
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
you might be able to turn those miles into gift cards also.
At rather poor exchange rates. Then again, some people use their miles for domestic flights

EmailKid
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
At rather poor exchange rates. Then again, some people use their miles for domestic flights

EmailKid
Yeah, people who fly Southwest. Zing!!!!

Seriously, though, if you have too many miles, not enough miles, or no other use for them, then a person should use some. In 2010 I was fine with turning in 48,000 DL SkyMiles for $400 in Bed, Bath, & Beyond gift cards as wedding gifts. I still have over 500K SkyMiles, and it saved me $400 in real money.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You could look into converting them into gift certificates through points.com for some restaurants, it may or may not be worth it for you. Only you can judge if it's a good deal or not based on your situation.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoGreen
Hi folks,
We're driving across country

Care to share if this is a RT or OW proposition? Going through the Texas panhandle/Rocky Mountains/Badlands?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SomeGuy
In 2010 I was fine with turning in 48,000 DL SkyMiles for $400 in Bed, Bath, & Beyond gift cards as wedding gifts.
Well, it is SkyPesos

I have a million United miles (formely known as Continental NonePass miles), but would consider it poor value at that rate.

But, as cordelli points out, it may be worth it to some people.

EmailKid
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi Gang,
Thanks for the good advice! Sorry I was out of town so couldn't get back to you sooner. Re some of your questions/comments:
* Using SW miles for Walmart gift card is a good idea.
* No I don't have Delta status nor currently, the Delta AMEX. (I might apply for the credit card again in June but that's post-trip.)
* It's a round-trip, actually only from the east coast to Kansas, for a family reunion and return. (We might also have to go to the Badlands in South Dakota but I hope not.) We're going out via Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, etc. and returning on a more southerly route via Tennessee and Virginia.

GoGreen
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Well we had a great trip. As expected, food was the biggest expense. Most nights, we were able to keep lodging costs down by enjoying the hospitality of our fellow club members in homeexchange.com and affordabletravelclub.net.

The Home Exchange Club is one where, as you might have guessed, you exchange homes and stay in each others' houses. But a little known aspect of the club is that you don't have to exchange your entire home, nor do the exchanges need to be simultaneous. You can ask other members if they're interested in hosting you for a "hospitality exchange". Generally this means that they will be home and you'll sleep in their guest room. If they say yes, then in return, you "owe" them an equal number of nights. Kind of like giving them a gift card (how many of those go unused?). The club has tons of members and a great website with photos and info about each listing. A few highlights include a stay at a beautiful home in PA Dutch country -- our hosts even made us dinner from the organic produce they grow in their yard. Also stayed in the second home of our Branson MO hosts, a gorgeous two-bedroom two bath place. They weren't there -- we never even met them in person.

The Affordable Travel Club is for people over 40 who like to travel and meet people. The directory is not terribly informative and the membership much smaller than the Home Exchange Club. The way this deal works is you ask if they can host you, and if they say yes, they house and give you breakfast for up to 3 nights. The guest(s) pay them a gratuity of $15/night (single) or $20/night (couple), per night. You have no obligation to host these people in the future (although you'd probably want to if they came your way). Nor are you ever obligated to host anyone in the club. We've been in the club for 8 months and have stayed with some really great people throughout the USA and Puerto Rico. Thus far only two people have asked to stay at our house, so our first guests are arriving in two weeks. We declined the second one because we'll be out of town.

Also stayed a few nights with friends and family, rented an apartment through AirBnb, and used some $50 Expedia BRG coupons to score some rooms for just the cost of taxes. Generally Super 8's and the like, but we made it out alive and un-bitten. We splurged a bunch of Starpoints for a night in St. Louis which was one of the best of the trip. When we checked in I told the clerk that it was our XX'th wedding anniversary as well as my husband's birthday (both those events were within a couple days of our stay ... ) and we got upgraded to concierge service, meaning we got free dinner (cocktail hour) and free breakfast.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still waiting for an answer to my Q above; original post and "trip report" don't jibe; food costs more than gas for a "cross country" trek?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Sorry about the wait .... We did not drive through Texas, actually we started on the east coast and decided to turn around in Kansas City, so the trip was actually a round trip but only halfway across and then back. We drive a Prius so the gas expense was maybe half of what a normal car would cost. And restaurants can get pretty expensive even when you eat low-end and make pb&j sandwiches when you can.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
out of curiosity, what is the total of the spend?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

We spent about $1500 over 30 days. Drove 5300 miles (we drove around at the places we stayed, not just direct driving). Gas was about $430 (we get 44 mpg in the Prius). So food, lodging, entertainment, miscellaneous -- $1070, over 30 days, $36 a day, total for two people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.