Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to stay in Canada post cruise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

I'm cruising on Royal Caribbean and our ship will end in Vancouver. I would like to see Vancouver for a day or two before heading back to Texas. Do you know of any inexpensive hotels near Canada Place cruise terminal in Vancouver?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:39 pm

Just spent two nights at the St. Regis Hotel. Best one I've ever stayed in. Service was unbelievable. Was $120 a night.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks UnitedFlyGuy- Did you book your hotel with an agent or directly with the hotel? Also, where should one look to shop for clothing items etc.?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
$120 is a little high for me, but we all have different definitions of budget travel Vancouver is an easy town to get around (including light rail), so I don't think you have to stay right by the cruise terminal.

Just before the holidays I had a forced overnight at YVR and after spending considerable time looking at Priceline, Expedia and others ended up paying $60 for a Travelocity "hidden hotel." Turned out to be very nice Holiday Inn (3*) and included a shuttle (I'm sure they would take you to light rail line).

Of course just because I got HI in December does not mean that it will be the same hotel this year, but it's a good indication. Otherwise it si about $90 plus tax per night for said property.

EmailKid
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:51 pm

For shopping, Robson Street is quite good, as is the Pacific Centre (shopping mall).

The Four Seasons hotel is connected to the Pacific Centre and quite convenient if you're looking for shopping. It's also right in the heart of downtown.

The Pan Pacific is another great hotel. It is connected to Canada Place so it's quite convenient.

I would strongly urge you to try bidding on Priceline and to use HotelDealsRevealed Priceline Forum. I would go for a 4-star hotel and depending on the time of year and day of the week, you could get a room for as low as $80/night compared to retail of $200+ per night.

I'm currently in San Francisco but have spent a lot of time in Vancouver and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:17 pm

We've stayed at the Georgian Court Hotel a few times, it's not ride beside the cruise terminal, but it is still downtown and has easy access to the skytrain. Close to a Costco and a T&T, along with both arenas and theaters.

Also there is often deals for hotels in downtown Vancouver on TZ.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
When I need lodging and am on a budget I go to hostelworld.com, hostelbookers.com or bookings.com and search for hostels in my desired area. I pay close attention to the reviews and then cross check those on tripadvisor. A hostel need not necessarily mean shared accommodations. Many have private rooms available. And if you are there off season there is a chance you can book the cheapest room and still have it to yourself. That happened to me this past November in Istanbul over half of the nights I was there.
And then there is couchsurfing...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by kchorne
Thanks UnitedFlyGuy- Did you book your hotel with an agent or directly with the hotel? Also, where should one look to shop for clothing items etc.?
I always book direct with the hotel. Always.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I always book direct with the hotel. Always.
That's what I used to do when the company I worked for paid for it.

Now that I'm traveling on my own dime I use Priceline and most recently Travelocity "Secret" hotel deals to save money.

EmailKid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.