Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling UK -> Philippines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Traveling UK -> Philippines

Hi, I plan to travel to the Philippines from the UK for approximately 3 weeks in Jan / Feb.

As there are no direct flights I was considering the option of turning up at an airport and filling an empty seat going to one of Hong Kong, Singapore, or Bangkok as these places have frequent flights to the Philippines.

Is this a strategy that could work at a reduced cost? I don't mind if it takes 1-2 days to reach my destination.

I noticed on one thread there was mention of booking flights 1 day before at reduced rates, is this common practice?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:30 pm
Bukhara

mmmmmmmm

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help Bukara, I am in the process of picking one now, they are not as expensive as I feared

p.s. I know nothing of Airmiles and have no interest in them, I doubt there is a way to credit someone else's Airmile account using their number, but if there is (and if it's within the forum rules) please let me know.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:21 pm
Bukhara

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
Jet Star also flies HKG to MNL.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:33 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by steve2008
Hi, I plan to travel to the Philippines from the UK for approximately 3 weeks in Jan / Feb.

As there are no direct flights I was considering the option of turning up at an airport and filling an empty seat going to one of Hong Kong, Singapore, or Bangkok as these places have frequent flights to the Philippines.

Is this a strategy that could work at a reduced cost? I don't mind if it takes 1-2 days to reach my destination.

I noticed on one thread there was mention of booking flights 1 day before at reduced rates, is this common practice?

Thanks for any help you can give.
I´d recommend buying a ticket to one of the following gateways: HKG,SIN,BKK or KUL.
Those offer the best (cheapest) onward flight possibilities.
Personally I prefer HKG but you may chosse any of the mentionned.

Do not try booking flights from HKG/SIN/BKK at short notice.
Not with full service carriers nor with LCC´s. There´s no such thing like cheap last minute tickets although last minute tickets on LCC´s will usually be less than on the legacies ... But LCC flight are more likely to be fully booked !

From HKG you may choose the following airlines:

Full Service Carriers
(= expensive - especially when booked at short notice and for one-ways !!!):
Philippine Airlines (PR) to Manila - multiple flights daily
Cathay Pacific (CX) to Manila, Cebu - multiple flights daily to MNL, Cebu only once daily
Dragon Air (KA) to Manila once daily - this airline is connected with Cathay Pacific
Hongkong Express (UO) to Manila once daily

Low Cost Carriers:
Cebu Pacific (5J) to Manila, Cebu
Seair (DG) to Clark/Angeles City (north of Manila)
Airphilexpress (2P) to Cebu

If you need more infos - especially about the other gateway connections (and possible pitfalls when booking "obscure airlines" (obscure for you) you may PM me and I´ll certainly help you !

I´ve travelled a couple of times to the Phils. from Europe (my wife being Filipina) and I know the local "aviation scene" in the Phils. quite well.

Last edited by MHG; Dec 11, 2011 at 1:39 am
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I believe the only nonstop from Europe to Manila is KLM from AMS, but for the max in comfort (any class), I would book Asiana via Seoul (1 connection from LHR)
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:16 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by Daawgon
I believe the only nonstop from Europe to Manila is KLM from AMS, but for the max in comfort (any class), I would book Asiana via Seoul (1 connection from LHR)
That´s correct but KLM is likely to switch (in fact already in the planning) from non-stop to a direct service in 2012 (stop in HKG) due to unfavourable revenue taxation towards foreign airlines by the Philippine government !

Regarding Asiana: If going to Manila you will always have a long layover on the return in Seoul (10+hrs) and some connections even on the outbound. If going to Cebu or Clark (north of Manila) you´ll always have a long layover.
But Asiana seems to be one of the cheaper solutions aside from the arabian carriers.
If you collect miles in Star Alliance Asiana may be still a good choice, though ...
And - apparrently Asiana is not bad in Y-class as well (certainly not on par with SQ or MH)
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by MHG
Regarding Asiana: If going to Manila you will always have a long layover on the return in Seoul (10+hrs) and some connections even on the outbound. If going to Cebu or Clark (north of Manila) you´ll always have a long layover.
But Asiana seems to be one of the cheaper solutions aside from the arabian carriers.
If you collect miles in Star Alliance Asiana may be still a good choice, though ...
And - apparrently Asiana is not bad in Y-class as well (certainly not on par with SQ or MH)
Asiana certainly is on par with Singapore, and often better! Both Asiana and Korean also provide the free hotel room for those lengthy transits in Seoul. I have personally met several travelers from the Islands during my free hotel stays while in transit to the States from the SE Asia mainland. I consider Asiana to be the "airline of comfort".
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Daawgon
Both Asiana and Korean also provide the free hotel room for those lengthy transits in Seoul.
Even in economy class

EmailKid
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Even in economy class

EmailKid
Yes, all classes - the room is not automatic, but must be requested after booking (they've never refused me, and I can only afford economy)
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:35 pm

delete

Last edited by jasonkevin77; Aug 16, 2019 at 9:55 am Reason: delete
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: QR Gold
I am marrying a filipino and i travel over frequently, well i am typing this from Doha while i wait for my flight to Hong Kong before i get my connecting flight over to the Philippines...

Just to repeat what everyone has said... don't just turn up as you wont get a good deal.

KLM are stopping flying to Manila and they are the last european airline who fly into MNL, so you might get some good deals on the last flights. KLM have not given a end date but it was going to be around Feb but you can still get tickets after the end of Feb.. so no one is sure yet.

The cheapest way is not flying from the UK! What you need to do is fly from Italy (so get an easyjet, BA, Ryanair etc to Italy)....

The cheapest fares are flying out of MXP (Milan) or FCO (Rome) with saudi airlines but flying back into London. I am going to be doing this route in Oct for my wedding... Anyway I did a quick search and I got...

Itinerary

Milan (MXP) to Jeddah (JED) - Fri, Jan 20
Saudi Arabian Airlines 220 Dep: 4:10PM Arr: 11:15PM 5h 5m Airbus A320 Coach (V)
Layover in JED 2h 0m
Jeddah (JED) to Manila (MNL) - Sat, Jan 21
Saudi Arabian Airlines 874 Dep: 1:15AM Arr: 4:10PM 9h 55m Boeing 747 Coach (V)

Return
Manila (MNL) to Riyadh (RUH) - Wed, Feb 8
Saudi Arabian Airlines 863 Dep: 3:40PM Arr: 9:00PM 10h 20m Boeing 747 Coach (X)
Layover in RUH 5h 0m
Riyadh (RUH) to London (LHR) - Thu, Feb 9
Saudi Arabian Airlines 103 Dep: 2:00AM Arr: 5:45AM 6h 45m Boeing 777 Coach (X)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) £363.00
Total cost for 1 passenger £363.00

Add your LCC flight to Italy and i honestly do not think you will beat this price, if you do please let me know via a PM.

To ticket this fare you need to book direct for the cheapest price or go to STA travel as i find them the cheapest to book through (£23.50 admin fee).

Search for your flight via http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I hope this helps...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: QR Gold
Sorry this is not a budget way to the philippines it's just the cheapest...

Generally you need to book 6 months in advance for budget airlines such as a Air Asia X, or if you are lucky enough to get a promo deal... Generally fly to HKG and get a LCC to CRK or MNL...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.