Budget Travel on MEGABUS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget Travel on MEGABUS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by bowdenj
I take the Megabus a few times a year (not that far - just CHI - IND usually) and have always enjoyed sitting on the top level. Nice not to be the driver and check out the windmill farm along I-65 about half-way through the short trip!

I did check it out as an option a few weeks ago Toronto - BUF but the ticket sales person recommended I go with Greyhound since Megabus will fill up quicker then Greyhound. I got lucky and got a seat on the Greyhound since it was a very crowded day when I traveled.
I think it is amazing that a company can be so thoroughly honest about a competitor. It's clear megabus just wants to keep people happy (even though they will sell out regardless of customer service) rather than trying to squeeze another couple dollars out of everyone. Compare that to greyhound, which doesn't even announce when there are cancellations or delays... megabus will usually post any weather cancellations right on their website, in advance!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Question PHL to MEGABUS Stations

In a few days I'm taking my first MEGABUS ride from Philadelphia to New York.

Can anyone enlighten me about the most economical way from PHL airport to the easiest-to-reach station and would this be the Market Street Station or the Independence Hall station and is the location of either station easy to find ?

TIA !
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:04 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Lightbulb Google Maps

The rail link is supposed to be the best way to get into the city.

From Google Maps:

Originally Posted by Google Maps
Transit directions to Independence Hall Philadelphia International Airport
8401 Executive Ave.Philadelphia, PA 19153

Walk to Airport Terminal A
About 4 mins (0.2 mi)
1. Head east
0.2 mi

Airport Terminal A
Airport LineTrain 432 towards Center City Philadelphia
1:13pm - 1:27pm (14 mins, 2 stops)
Service run by SEPTA
Route Information - septa.org
Penultimate stop: Eastwick

Train - Airport Line - Airport Line Inbound - 432 - Direction: Center City Philadelphia
Service run by SEPTA
1:13pm Depart Airport Terminal A
1:27pm Arrive University City

University City
Continues as Warminster Line(stay on board) Train 432 towards Warminster
1:27pm - 1:30pm (3 mins, 1 stop)
Service run by SEPTA

Continues as Warminster Line (stay on board) - 432 - Direction: Warminster
Service run by SEPTA
1:27pm Depart University City
1:30pm Arrive 30th Street Station

30th Street Station
Walk to 30th St Station
About 8 mins (10 mins to make transfer)

Walk to 30th St Station
About 8 mins

30th St Station
MFLSubway towards Frankford Transportation Center
1:40pm - 1:46pm (6 mins, 5 stops)
Service run by SEPTA
Penultimate stop: 8th St Station

Subway - MFL - Market - Frankford Line - Direction: Frankford Transportation Center
10 mins to make transfer
Service run by SEPTA
1:40pm Depart 30th St Station
1:46pm Arrive 5th St Station

5th St Station
Walk to 520 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19106
About 4 mins (0.2 mi)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by emailkid
The rail link is supposed to be the best way to get into the city.

From Google Maps:
Thanks so much for the confirmation ^
It seems that the 30th Street MB station is the easiest to reach and the shortest route.
Would rather not want to end up in the wrong location and miss my ride - with a tatl flight to catch only 6 hours later from JFK
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I'm taking the bus from Philadelphia to NYC also, next week. Started out shopping Megabus, fares on the runs that fit my schedule ran around $15, but Greyhound undercut them with $7 tickets. Competition is good.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:59 pm

Megabus

Megabus - Has anyone ever used this company?

I'm trying to plan a trip from Michigan to Maine and I came across their website.

Looking at individual routes for the day I am planning to travel on, the route is ridiculously (almost unrealistically) cheap.

Toledo to Pittsburgh: $1
Pittsburgh to New York: $30
New York to Boston: $9
Boston to Portland: $1

Total: $41

Is this legit?

Is this company reliable? I've come across a few reviews online of people complaining that they used this company and the bus wasn't on time... that would kind of screw up my plans, especially if one of the first buses was running late.

Anyone here have experience with them? Would you recommend it?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
They're legit and I've used them. I prefer them over other bus companies such as Shortline, Peter Pan, "China Bus". The electric hookups and internet access aren't exactly reliable. On my 1 or 2 trips with them the electric plugs only worked on the downstairs and the internet was super slow. But they are clean and cheap. Schedule wise they are susceptible to weather and traffic. My 6.5 hour ride turned into nearly 8 hours. If you're doing that trip I'd recommend some buffer time. Maybe take the cash you're saving on the trip and get a hotel in 1 or 2 spots to refresh and have some fun.

Originally Posted by ZeekLTK

I'm trying to plan a trip from Michigan to Maine and I came across their website.

Looking at individual routes for the day I am planning to travel on, the route is ridiculously (almost unrealistically) cheap.

Toledo to Pittsburgh: $1
Pittsburgh to New York: $30
New York to Boston: $9
Boston to Portland: $1

Total: $41

Is this legit?

Is this company reliable? I've come across a few reviews online of people complaining that they used this company and the bus wasn't on time... that would kind of screw up my plans, especially if one of the first buses was running late.

Anyone here have experience with them? Would you recommend it?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
used them 3 times from Toronto to BUF and beyond.

Excellent fleet compared to Ghettohound.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Do a search in this forum before starting another Megabus thread. They're quite legit and an excellent alternative to airlines for short/medium trips.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...s-america.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...l-megabus.html

As for the risk of missing connections -- any bus can get stuck in traffic. (Any plane too for that matter.)
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Megabus's parent company ("Stagecoach") is actually a huge British operation which sells bus and train tickets all over the United Kingdom and, historically, had multinational bus holdings -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagecoach_Group.

As someone who's used to seeing Megabus on the Boston-NYC route along with BoltBus, Fung Wah, and co., I was really surprised to see that the parent company also operates "megatrain.com".
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Do a search in this forum before starting another Megabus thread.
As BearX220 points out, there are existing threads on travel with Megabus, so I am merging your thread with an existing one.

EmailKid
Budget Travel moderator
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by armattheus
My 6.5 hour ride turned into nearly 8 hours. If you're doing that trip I'd recommend some buffer time. Maybe take the cash you're saving on the trip and get a hotel in 1 or 2 spots to refresh and have some fun.
How much buffer time would you think is necessary? With the route I'm looking at I would have:

2 hours in Pittsburgh
1 hour 15 min in NYC
50 min in Boston

Is that enough to ensure I catch the buses I'm shooting for?

If I book a bus for a specific time (say the Boston-Portland) and then get there late, after it's already left, because the NYC-Boston one was running late, would they just let me get on the next available bus or would I have to try to re-book?

*Also I don't think I want to break it up any. I found a really good route where I pretty much just hop from bus to bus. I'd leave at 1:45 AM and arrive in Maine around 11:00 PM that night. So it's like 21 hours of travel, BUT it'd be like 16 hours if I drove myself, so not that much of a difference. Plus it's way cheaper and I don't have to be the one who is driving the entire time!

Last edited by ZeekLTK; Nov 8, 2011 at 7:26 am
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:08 am

If I book a bus for a specific time (say the Boston-Portland) and then get there late, after it's already left, because the NYC-Boston one was running late, would they just let me get on the next available bus or would I have to try to re-book?
From the Megabus website:

Do you offer connecting service between megabus.com routes?

Passengers are free to plan their own itineraries using our comprehensive network. megabus.com does not guarantee connections between individual reservations. We strongly recommend that you allow ample time in between trips to account for any delays that may be incurred.
So sounds like the latter (though I am not an experienced Megabus rider and am just going by what I read).

If you have to rebook, your $9 and $1 fares probably will have gone up. Also, you may find yourself in Boston overnight. Still, for $41, assuming you are willing to spend all day on buses and understand there is some risk of missing one, it probably makes sense to jump on these fares while they are available. I would think two hours in Pittsburgh should be plenty of time for almost any contingency so you will almost certainly at least get on the bus to NY, from which there are lots of buses to Boston if you miss one.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I just wanted to update by saying the deal for the 3% cash back is now 5% ...
Megabus Cash Back
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:19 am

I just booked a Megabus trip from NYC to Chicago

NY-Pitt: $5
Pitt-Cleveland: $1
Cleveland-Chicago: $3

$9 from NYC to Chicago! And a $68 flight back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.