Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oxymoron? Budget travel to the Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Oxymoron? Budget travel to the Maldives

I know, I know... not the place many want to travel on a budget to or think is even possible but I'd like to ask the question

Keyodhoo Guest House through Island Life Maldives seems one of the most budget. All inclusive at $80/day for a couple: double rooms $20pp and meals $20pp/day. There is a ferry that goes to this island 3 days a week at $12pp. Snorkeling and local island hopping are included. Cost of fishing trips $30pp and excursions for uninhabited islands: $50 pp.

Has anyone else tried to visit the Maldives on a budget? Experiences? Where did you stay and what did you do in Male? What islands did you visit?

Last edited by yksmirk; May 19, 2011 at 9:11 am
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:02 pm

I had enough hotel points that I wanted to blow on a week in the Maldives. As you noted, the meals and activities added up to more than I wanted to pay for a week. Then I discovered this tour:

http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/m...ise/AFMS/2011/

This tour booked directly to Voyage Maldives. There are many other companies to pick from, but I suspect if GAP is using them, then it is one of the more budget friendly options.

IMHO it is the best way to see the Maldives. Both for value and experience. There were five others on the boat and they all had the same feelings as I did. We wanted to check out the Maldives, but didn't want to stay at a resort the whole time. I'm sure cost was a factor for them as well. Due to flight times, I had to stay one night at a resort and I really wouldn't have enjoyed a whole week on the same small island.

All meals (breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner) were prepared on the boat by a cook who could do more in that small area than most people could do on land. They weren't elaborate by any means, but it was always fresh and full of flavor. Due to my newfound healthy eating habits, this is my preference anyway. We did at least two snorkels a day, sometimes three and always at different reefs. Most times, we were the only boat in the area, lending to a more exclusive feeling.

I wouldn't schedule any amount of time for Male as there isn't much to see. The usually inconvenient flight times will most likely leave you with a few hours to hop over on a ferry from the ariport.
Old May 4, 2011, 1:21 am

hmm

wow so expensive
Old May 5, 2011, 7:12 am

Keyodhoo Guest house

I stayed at the guesthouse and had a fantastic time. they were flexible with the rates when i contacted them for a best deal.
www.islandlifemaldives.net

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.