Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Cheapest flight to Mendoza Argentina from SFO on OCT 25th or 26th

Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Hi all,
New to this forum so please bear with my lack of knowledge. Want to fly to Mendoza from SFO to MDZ last wk of Oct & return Nov 18th I want to spend 3 wks & dates are fleible I have searched various airlines but am unable to find a good fare. Is it that there just are'nt any or what am I doing wrong? Please give me any pointers & tips that can lead to some good fares and a ticket purchase. Getting max miles is not a priority!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:57 am

try Fare Compare or PriceLine
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Basically it's all about competition - that's what drives fares down - and there's not much of it at MDZ. Since a couple of airlines have most of the flights in/out of MDZ, don't expect any bargains.

Give Orbitz or Expedia a try. Sometimes they come up with some creative routings that may be a bit cheaper.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
It's usually quite expensive to use the smaller airports - try going into BA - EZE
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
You also might check into the possibility of a bus. When I went to MDZ, we took a public bus (clean, comfortable) from SCL.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Do not forget to figure in the reciprocity fee into your calculation.

(1) Via EZE, as AEP will be closed, you will enter Argentina at EZE and be subject to the $140 reciprocity fee for USA passport holders.

(2) Via SCL, you will avoid the Chile reciprocity fee ($131 but may soon be $140) by doing an in-transit connection to your Mendoza flight. BUT if you return MDZ-SCL-USA, you will have to enter Chile at SCL due to MDZ not being trusted as a secure originating international airport for onward international connections.

Usually an AA to LA in-transit transfer at SCL to MDZ only costs $50-100 more (and sometimes less) than a termination at SCL.

The best price for such a combo can be found by using the aa.com site. Try Tuesday or Wednesday outgoing and return flights.

To avoid the Chile reciprocity fee on the return you can try pricing out an open jaw:

SFO-DFW (or MIA)-SCL-MDZ; take a scenic and comfortable bus back to SCL ($30-$35); SCL-DFW (or MIA)-SFO.

or

SFO-DFW (or MIA)-SCL-MDZ
MDZ-EZE-DFW (or MIA)-SFO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.