Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Low-cost airlines often cancel flights?

Low-cost airlines often cancel flights?

Old May 29, 2013, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: My travel agent
Do low-cost airlines often cancel flights?

How often do low-cost airlines not only delay, reschedule but simply cancel your flight due to weather or other act of god, low bookings or something?

What are the rules and regulations regarding this? In EU, Asia, North- and Latin-America?

Insurance?

Last edited by Wayfahrer; Sep 23, 2013 at 9:24 am
Old May 29, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Airasia cancelled flight from pusan to narita and said plane broken sorry..no compensation no nothing. Even though I am sure they are member of international convention I can't remember what the law was.
Old May 29, 2013, 3:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
EU has EU261.

Some LCC's in EU have better on time performance than legacy carriers.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:06 am
sfx

I've done over 300 flights with EU low cost carriers in four years. Only three were significantly delayed, all by less than an hour.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:01 am

Jetstar is good!

I think Jetstar provides good service and seldoms delay flights; it only requires the full name of passenger to make a booking, there is an option to choose offline payment to avoid credit card convenience fee which is unavoidable at other low cost airlines, there is even a price beat guarantee where we will get 10% off the price off from the other carrier if we get the tickets from Jetstar. The list goes on and on...I think Jetstar is really worth it!
Old May 29, 2013, 10:48 am

Most low costs don't like cancelling flights because of the knock-on effects - that plane that is going from A to B may then fly B to C then C to D before flying back to A - possibly by yet another airport.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
European LCC don't cancel flights more than legacy carriers.
Plus their on time performances are at the top.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AP, MP
never had problems with low cost. Usually problems are with the "major" carriers
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
As others said, don't think it worse than traditional carriers - potentially better. The big issue is around recovery. I had a flight cancelled on easyJet to Morocco a few years back during the busy holiday season due to weather at Gatwick. Problem was because they don't fly many flights there, next available seat was 2 weeks away. I had to cancel the trip entirely. I think that if I had been on a legacy carrier, the recovery options would have been better and I would have been able to make it down to Morocco for at least some of my trip.

Greg
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by alanR
Most low costs don't like cancelling flights because of the knock-on effects - that plane that is going from A to B may then fly B to C then C to D before flying back to A - possibly by yet another airport.
That's the one saving grace...the business model might depend of flying the plane so much that there's a cascade effect. In the U.S., for example, Spirit is notorious for having tickets that aren't good elsewhere and generally being a bad place to be when things go wrong, but its business model counts in part of trying to cram in another flight per plane per day vs. what a legacy might demand. So even if they don't care much about you, it's costing THEM.

Grand Air in the Philippines also used to be really bad about economic cancellations. Their liability limits under Philippine law at the time were 150 pesos ($3-4), so that was hardly a deterrent.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:52 am
Suspended

Well I can only really speak from the Australian and Asia perspective, but in my experience most low cost carriers don't really cancel their flights all that much. Delays may be common; but, and let me cross my fingers, so far none of my flights have personally been cancelled.

When I worked as a travel agent, the only airline that cancelled enough to earn a reputation for itself was Tiger Airways.

But I think you should be fine. But again, this is only from the Australian and Asia perspective (I have flown Air Asia and many other budget airlines like Cebu Pacific etc).

Hope this helps!

Happy traveling!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Not sure about the cancellations, but in terms of being on-time, most of the budget airlines outperform the traditional carriers. http://www.flightontime.info/latest/latest.html
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:32 am
Suspended

yes, good call englisha
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Marriott, Hilton, Alaska
I have flown with Allegiant and they have a big reputation for cancelling flights.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by zussino
I have flown with Allegiant and they have a big reputation for cancelling flights.
"Reputation" - do you have any proof of that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.