FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budget Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/)
-   -   Rooms in London for 1 penny? New Tube hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel/1099167-rooms-london-1-penny-new-tube-hotel.html)

sioFont Jun 25, 2010 6:39 am

Rooms in London for 1 penny? New Tune hotel

Travel news web Travelmole announces that Tune Hotels --a Malasyian low-cost chain owned by Tony Fernandes, owner himself of Air Asia-- is to open a new hotel in London Westminster. The hotel will offer an opening rate of 0.01 pounds for the first 1000 rooms booked.

According to Travelmole, reservations for this offer will start on June 29th.
Tube hotels website isn't saying anything about this, just a "coming soon"

Travelmole news page: http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1142880.php?mpnlog=1

hotel website (slow): http://www.tunehotels.com/our-hotels/westminster-london

Worth a look, just in case it could be true.

stockmanjr Jun 25, 2010 10:27 am

In their hotels in KL they seem to charge to use the A/C,also charge a GBP 1.50 fee for use of a towel as well as a tv charge.
Cheers
Howie

m90291 Jun 28, 2010 6:31 am

I think it said a/c is free inn London
But I can't figure out how many maximum days they will give you at the .01 rate?

Originally Posted by stockmanjr (Post 14194125)
In their hotels in KL they seem to charge to use the A/C,also charge a GBP 1.50 fee for use of a towel as well as a tv charge.
Cheers
Howie

ClimbGuy Jun 28, 2010 12:05 pm

keep in mind this is a Ryan Air style hotel. So while the room may be 0.01 GBP

The towels, a/c, tv, wifi, ect are all for $$$

m90291 Jun 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy (Post 14208364)
keep in mind this is a Ryan Air style hotel. So while the room may be 0.01 GBP

The towels, a/c, tv, wifi, ect are all for $$$

actually I consider the tv charge to be a benefit to me because otherwise I would run the risk of turning into a couch potato watching television which I can otherwise do without flying to london for. The same with the internet which I can easily sit online while in the USA and do not need to fly to europe to be on the internet. TV and the internet are big chunks of time wasters for me.

But anyway I got a email back and they claim that there is an unlimited amount of night you can book for the .01 rate. However I still can't get the thing to book and they gave me a Malasian number 6(03) 79625888 to call for help. Unfortunately neither my home phone or cell phone can call Malasian numbers :(

Has anyone recommend a phone card that is easily available such as at Walmart that can call Malaysia cheaply? I was figuring I can just book a month at the .01 rate which would be .30 for a month and then just buy a new towel every week. And use that hotel as a base for traveling from London and back to Europe a few times.

cundall Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm

the price as now shot up :(

sioFont Jun 29, 2010 5:49 am

rate gone?

Offer started at 12.00 midnight (June 29th) London time, 7.00 AM Kuala Lumpur time.
I have tried random dates and the cheapest rate I have found is 9 GBP for January 2010.
Maybe the offer is already gone.

The extras I can add to my room are (I want to reserve just 1 night):
  • Hair Dryer (unlimited use) GBP 1.00
  • In Room Safe (unlimited use) GBP 1.00
  • Add-on Room Cleaning GBP 7.50
  • TV (1 day - freeview channels) GBP 3.00
  • TV (unlimited use - freeview channels) GBP 10.00
  • Towel Rental + Essentials toiletries kit GBP 1.50
  • Wireless Internet Access (1 hour period) GBP 1.50
  • Wireless Internet Access (24 hour period) GBP 3.00
  • Wireless Internet Access (unlimited) GBP 10.00

m90291 Jun 29, 2010 9:00 am

if anyone can call to Malaysia then please post what the help number told you but I think it was probably a marketing scam.

Originally Posted by sioFont (Post 14212589)
Offer started at 12.00 midnight (June 29th) London time, 7.00 AM Kuala Lumpur time.
I have tried random dates and the cheapest rate I have found is 9 GBP for January 2010.
Maybe the offer is already gone.

The extras I can add to my room are (I want to reserve just 1 night):
  • Hair Dryer (unlimited use) GBP 1.00
  • In Room Safe (unlimited use) GBP 1.00
  • Add-on Room Cleaning GBP 7.50
  • TV (1 day - freeview channels) GBP 3.00
  • TV (unlimited use - freeview channels) GBP 10.00
  • Towel Rental + Essentials toiletries kit GBP 1.50
  • Wireless Internet Access (1 hour period) GBP 1.50
  • Wireless Internet Access (24 hour period) GBP 3.00
  • Wireless Internet Access (unlimited) GBP 10.00

ClimbGuy Jun 29, 2010 9:41 am

Originally Posted by m90291 (Post 14213485)
if anyone can call to Malaysia then please post what the help number told you but I think it was probably a marketing scam.

why not just call with skype?

m90291 Jun 30, 2010 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy (Post 14213733)

well I don't have skype and also I am tethering to my phone so I don't think my connection is fast enough

also I have been busy and not able to find a phone card
so if anyone has skype handy or a phone that can call malaysia or a friend there who can call for info pls post what u find

skye1 Jul 4, 2010 3:34 am

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy (Post 14213733)

My thoughts exactly. IMHO, a "staple" for the budget traveler.

It's a free download, free calls to other Skype users, el cheapo rates to non-skype users, etc. etc. Audio quality is quite good.

Peter25 Jul 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Had anybody stayed in the hotel?

abhilife2001 Jul 13, 2010 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Peter25 (Post 14288309)
Had anybody stayed in the hotel?

Awaiting reviews for this..
Atleast this hotel is also giving us choices as to wht we need and wht not..
I can easily forego the tv, hair dryer, towel and in room cleaning if I am just staying for 2-3 days..We anyways dont use these stuff much on leisure trips so its good to save some money on the way.. Only thing to see is how clean r the hotels , how r the rooms etc which can be seen once we hv some reviews..

Btw, anyone aware of similiar or decent but cheap hotels in Paris, Rome and Venice... Am looking for some trips there in August and some reviews on FT would be a good help ( though trip advisor is there, I tend to believe more in FT :rolleyes:)..

Awaiting any guidance..

cheers
Abhi