Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:12 pm
Kyo

Programs: Ex-BD55 + KF*G + BA Gold + IC RA(?) + OZ*G + SPG*P
Distance-wise, it'd be doable, but I don't think there are pedestrian walkways straight to the airport

One can take a free shuttle bus across to the Budget Terminal from Changi T2, and then there's a bus stop on the side of the highway (after the Budget Terminal carpark) from which there are buses that cost maybe S$0.80 to the Hawker Centre further down.

If one is willing to try walking on the side of the road, the Changi Sailing Club will be the first major landmark after the Budget Terminal, and that is not far away at all - it's walkable on the service road all the way to the Hawker Centre after that.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: SK*Gold
Walked to Copenhagen airport today, not to save money - the metro isn't expensive, but I had time and a light bag. It's only about 5k and is mostly through residential areas.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt Platinum
Adding San Diego (again) won't provide much additional info, but I've done so multiple times.

Also, it's not walking to an airport, but to save you the time of trying, I'll point out that you can NOT walk to Asia from Europe while in Istanbul (at least not on the bridge I tried - no pedestrians allowed). Maybe someone else has accomplished it - if so, which bridge did you use?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:40 am

It is upon the country that you traveled already... If the airport is near or only a few steps at any hotel there... In that way you will really save money... In that case before you travel better search the place that your going thru... Make an itinerary so that you save money a lot....
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:54 pm

The airport in Eilat, Israel, is only a few minutes' walk from town, and it's a fun, pretty town (but on ever-reliable Wikipedia it states the airport is to be relocated).

I've walked from LAS to a hotel at the south end of the Strip. It took about a half-hour and I found someone's passport in the roadway; it was nice to be able to return it to its owner.

On a nice day I walked the hour and 45 minutes from my midtown-Manhattan apartment to LGA.

Seth
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:13 pm

MCO / Orlando: Last time down I flew in very late and met a relative at a nearby airport hotel and was sleeping

A cab, even if just two miles, usually has airport fees and such tacked onto the rate. I've rented and Hertz before and knew their lot was a few blocks from the hotel so I jumped in the Hertz shuttle and walked off their rental lot, down a few long blocks to the hotel.

Not sure of that's ethical - but it was free.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
This has been mentioned before, but I'm just back from St. Maarten. Exit the terminal, turn left, and walk about 600 metres along the roadway to Maho Beach. Lots to keep you happy there.
I'm also impressed by Seth and his walk to LGA. I never would have thought about that!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:10 pm

Ouagadougou - a fifteen minute walk from the city centre
Cancun - roughly half an hour from the centre
Adana - half an hour from the big mosque

Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:55 am

I've walked to ADL (Adelaide, South Australia). I was at a nearby private tertiary library for a conference and afterwards just walked to the airport - it became an even shorter distance once the new terminal opened.
Very easy with good footpaths.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Coachman
Adding San Diego (again) won't provide much additional info, but I've done so multiple times.

Also, it's not walking to an airport, but to save you the time of trying, I'll point out that you can NOT walk to Asia from Europe while in Istanbul (at least not on the bridge I tried - no pedestrians allowed). Maybe someone else has accomplished it - if so, which bridge did you use?
You don's save much by walking anyway considering the ferry across the Bosphorus is only 1.5 lira ($1)
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Walked from Cairns CNS into town, about 4 km. Easy walk, second half you can slide a few blocks down to walk on the Beach Esplanade.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Fukuoka is walkable depending which part of the city you want to get to, however there is also a Subway connection to the airport if you have 250 Yen to spare
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL,UA
ACCRA

When you are in Accra Airport,Ghana you just walk about 15 minutes to the 37 station, 10 minutes to the Accra mall or 12 minutes to the Tetteh Quarshie round about to get public transportation to any part of the city.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
It was mentioned before but I walked from MFM (Macau) into Taipa and the Taipa Square Hotel yesterday. Nice walk. No problems.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by philosophy_king
That's a very nice idea. Not until I have walked around the outside of LAS airport for almost few hours to find out you cannot walk-in and missed my flight!
Information posted in another thread:
Originally Posted by carlitos
Yes you can walk from the Airport to Las Vegas Strip through Tropicana Av. I did this from MGM hotel at night in the middle of september without a problem and all the way to the airport. It is just a matter of going around the airport starting from the Motel 6 all the way to the gas station (Tropicana Av.) and then you turn right and walk all the way until you get to the bridge where you can walk all the way around the parking lots until you get to the small terminal where Aeromexico depararts from. There, you can take the airport shuttle or keep walking to the main termina (I took the shuttle). The opposite way, just start from the international terminal, walk straight following the parking lots street and turn left after the bridge, walk straigh all the way until the Tropicana Av Gas Stations, then you turn left and walk straight all the way until the MGM and you are at the Strip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.