Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 9, 18, 2:58 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: miklcct
Wiki Link
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP (Malaga, Spain) - 43 minutes from Holiday Inn Express (AVENIDA DE VELAZQUEZ 290 JUNTO N-340 MALAGA, 29004) Post #304
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - located in the middle of the city
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123<>Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - 5 minutes to a city bus stop and about 25 minutes to the port of Tel Aviv and hotels there. https://goo.gl/maps/jyZCQHyeVW12
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 21, 17, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Nine bucks, I was running late, and only made it with about 20 minutes to spare, so most likely a wise decision considering it there was no telling if / when bus was going to show up, and I would have had to start walking an hour earlier
Definitely a good call. While I've taken the bus from LAS I've never trusted it enough to go to LAS. Not to catch a flight, anyway.

My memory of their service is that buses from McCarran seemed to take rather roundabout routes to get anywhere I would want to be.
Old Dec 21, 17, 8:43 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / one last year as 1K
Originally Posted by Randomness View Post

My memory of their service is that buses from McCarran seemed to take rather roundabout routes to get anywhere I would want to be.
Well, the bus from the airport happened to arrive just as I did, and stop was only a few blocks from the hotel, so that was great
Old Dec 21, 17, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Well, the bus from the airport happened to arrive just as I did, and stop was only a few blocks from the hotel, so that was great
Old Dec 22, 17, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've had a handful of experiences walking from CNX recently. Ever since they upped the taxi fare to 150 and got rid of the meter option I refuse to use the taxi mafia. Now I either walk or rent a car and have done both on several occasions.

With bags 45 min to Chiang Mai gate (eastern of the two southern gates); <35min without bags.
Old Jan 5, 18, 4:33 am

Some of my personal walking/cheap public transport experiences (some already mentioned before):
walking:
LYR (Longyearbyen, Svalbard) - we slept in campsite just below the airport by the sea (2 min walk), than walked to the town (some 45min on a nice path/road alongside the sea)
PRI (Praslin, Seychelles) - our Airbnb apartment was only 10 min walk along the "main road", passing the airport (and airplanes landing path), there was no real fence to obscure the view so it was quite interesting watching other planes landing/taking off just a few meters from us.
TAG (Tagbilaran, Bohol, Philippines) - 5 min walk from the center of town
MNL (Manila, Philiphines) - slept in AirBnb apartment in big apartment complex across the main road from airport, took a cheap taxi from there

public transport:
HKG (Hong Kong) - for return we used the local "workers" bus from Tung Chung metro station. On arrival we go directly with a ferry to Macau (no need to clear HK immigration), than walked some 15 min in Macau to our hotel (which was again some 20 min walk from the center - Senado square)
SYD (Sydney) - we walked some 15min to bus station to take a bus directly to our hostel near Hyde Park
BCN (Barcelona) - local bus to Playa Espana or regular train for 1€ (with T10 card), both directly from the terminal or adjoined station
DMK (Don Mueng Bangkok) - there is a train station just outside the terminal on a main Bangkok-Ayuthaya-Chang Mai line, it is less than 1$ to either Ayuthaya or center Bangkok
PRG (Prague) - cheap public bus to first metro station

could have but didn't :
PPS (Puerta Princessa, Palawan, Philippines) - not much of town to see but if you walk outside of the terminal there are quite a few nice places to eat (that we tried). There are vans that can take you directly from the airport to El Nido or Port Barton (3-5h drive) which was our final stop but if were staying in the town we could easily just walk from the airport.
PUJ (Punta Cana, DR) - Airport is quite close to some of the beach-site resorts that you could walk to if you would be staying there:
SAN(San Diego) - rented a car on the airport and later waited there to pick up friends, was very close to Embarcadero (seaside promenade) so that we can walk to there while waiting for delayed flight of our friends.
LJU (Ljubljana) - 3 km from my home on a nice path through the forest, walked/cycled the path many times bit never actually to take a plane

Last edited by SVeT; Jan 5, 18 at 4:34 am Reason: spelling error(s)
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:43 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Any intel on AEP, the city airport of Buenos Aires?

Is it safe to walk from Palermo?

Thanks
Old Apr 27, 18, 8:00 am

Programs: Miles and More
From TXL to the next metro station is only 26 minutes by foot: https://tinyurl.com/y9joasgp
However, if you're taking the metro anyway, it's faster to just take the bus from the airport.
The bus ticket is also valid for metro.
The bus/metro ticket for one day in the inner city is 7 Euro, or 30 Euro for 7 days.
Old May 3, 18, 5:19 pm

Got an upcoming flight from Love Field (DAL) in about ten days, so depending on the weather may walk the 40 minutes, but if it stays toasty will catch the Love Shuttle (DART Route 524) from Inwood / Love Field Station.

At YYJ (Victoria, British Columbia) will walk about 20 minutes to the bus downtown (either #70 or 72), as you no longer get transfers It's either one ride or buy a day pass, which is still not too bad at C$5.00. But it's a nice walk, and I'll save 50%
Old Nov 22, 18, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat. Elite
At BRW (Barrow, Alaska) the airport is on the edge of town. Step through the tiny terminal and nothing in town is more than a 25 minute walk. This time of year however you’ll be happy to take one of the many warm, waiting taxis.
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:30 pm

Page Airport is 10 minutes walk from "Downtown". And as of August 2018, they have scheduled flights.
Old Dec 9, 18, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS DL
There are a number of airports that have residential neighborhoods near the airport. One could walk to those airports if they were going to the neighborhoods. These include MDW (Chicago Midway), SDF (Louisville, KY), LIT (Little Rock, AR), LCY, LGA, etc. Also MSY (not mentioned yet)

As far as a major part of the city, there are far fewer airports like this. San Diego and Gibraltar have been mentioned. Some Alaska towns, like Nome, are like this. (not mentioned yet)
Old Dec 10, 18, 12:01 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
The Beijing Airport Express costs CNY 25 for a single journey with no discount, which is extremely expensive. However, there is an express rural bus (850快) running just outside the airport to the same place in the city centre, which costs only CNY 2 after discount if paying by card.

Old Dec 10, 18, 12:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN; Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post
Any intel on AEP, the city airport of Buenos Aires?

Is it safe to walk from Palermo?

Thanks
Area is not unsafe, but public buses are about 15 pesos (under 50 cents usd)
Old Dec 10, 18, 5:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
HEL to Jumbo Shopping Centre and back

Had some time to kill at Helsinki Airport yesterday. Walked from the airport to the Jumbo. Google maps says 3.3km (2 miles) though it felt further in the rain and wind (though was grateful not snowing). Excellent footpaths though they didn't quite follow the road as I had hoped so I think I made a couple of unnecessary loops.

I think I saved 3 euro each way on the bus - which will obviously mitigate the 90+ euro I spent in the shopping centre
Old Dec 10, 18, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost View Post
Had some time to kill at Helsinki Airport yesterday. Walked from the airport to the Jumbo. Google maps says 3.3km (2 miles) though it felt further in the rain and wind (though was grateful not snowing). Excellent footpaths though they didn't quite follow the road as I had hoped so I think I made a couple of unnecessary loops.
I think I saved 3 euro each way on the bus - which will obviously mitigate the 90+ euro I spent in the shopping centre
Unless the snow would indicate a SIGNIFICANT drop in temperature, I'd take snow over cold rain anytime

You can brush off snow (harder if it's the wet type), buy you just get wet in rain. I have long legs, so unless I make myself walk super slow my feet always get wet because my stride exceeds the width of my umbrella, and I refuse to carry one of those huge "golf unmbellas."

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: