Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
IGU - Foz Do Iguacu

Recently walked to and from IGU - the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls are around 3km from the airport - head out to the end of the airport road and take a left at the end - there is not much pavement on the road but the grass verges are fine to walk on. There are also a number of airport / falls hotels situated along this road.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I often walk to/from BSL (provided no checked luggage). Gives the dog some exercise before/after a flight, and the 3.5km long access road from Switzerland is pedestrian-friendly with sidewalks.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've been known to take the bus to/from IAH. Which at $1.25/ride is close enough to free I figured was worthy of this thread.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:35 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I've been known to take the bus to/from IAH. Which at $1.25/ride is close enough to free I figured was worthy of this thread.
Sure, to save money, but the thread title is WALK to/from
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Can add a few airports to the walkable list:

- Røst (RET). It's basically madness to do anything else here than walking, as you'd reach the other end of the island within a minute by car or bike.
- Leknes (LKN): A 15 minute walk from the airport to the village. Just use the sidewalk along the E-road
- Brønnøysund (BNN): Just follow the signs 'Sentrum' and you'd be there in 10 to 15 minutes walk.
- Andenes (ANX): A 5 minute walk will do to the 'center' of town.
- Narvik (NVK): It's a very steep climb up the hill (14% on average) for about 700 meters (770 yeards), but then you're in the city.
- Florø (FRO): Turn right at the end of the road from the airport, Ignore the shields that
state that you can't go further and 15 minutes later you're in town.
- Umeå (UME) takes about 45 minutes from the center. Cross the bridge near the church, turn left at the end of it, walk along the water until you find a new bridge, turn right, turn left on the main road and keep walking through the industrial area until you reach the airport.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Lufthansa
LaGuardia

I once walked (tried to!) from the terminal at LaGuardia to Ditmars Blvd, where a friend was waiting for me......I didn't want to use a taxi and listen to complaints about the short ride or getting overcharged because of the very short distance A Port Authority police car stopped me on the road (it looked like a road that cars were on) and the Police officer asked what I was doing. I told him. He said that because of the proximity of the road to the aircraft, pedestrian traffic was prohibited. He gave me a ride to the corner of Ditmars Blvd. and the airport Road..........I thanked him and left.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I don't think many airports (at least major ones) are really walkable as most are just off the highway and such.

YVR, if for some reason you didn't wanna take a bus, or the skytrain (it's pricey with the airport added fee) you could walk to Richmond, but not exactly to Vancouver cuz there's no real sidewalks along the Arthur Laing bridge afaik. You could bike it though.

I like to budget travel as well, but I do draw a line. Especially when I'm travelling in the USA I always try for a hotel shuttle, airport bus, rapid transit or something. Anything to avoid ridiculous cab fares and rental cars. Worldwide, I share the same philosophy but it's a little harder when you don't speak the language.

Just thought of another, EOH in Medellin is very walkable, it's not an international airport though, so I'm not sure what that's worth. MDE the international airport you could walk up to, provided you don't have too much luggage, but you wouldn't really walk anywhere...good. It's kinda in the middle of nowhere, Rionegro isn't far, but you probably wouldn't wanna walk it, and Medellin proper is way too far.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Since I posted this in October, I've also successfully walked from PVR airport to my hotel, which was about halfway to the Marina (and the next morning walked to Marina from my hotel, so easily doable the whole way, though I didn't have any luggage).

Originally Posted by gooseman13
Walked home from SFO once...but I think it was like 5 miles to my house and I just was really in the mood to walk.

Had a friend who lived about 15 minutes walk from SNA, regularly would walk to and from her place when visiting.

Currently live about two miles from DAL...may walk that sometime, not sure how the sidewalk is once you get into the airport.

Living in Boston I would walk to the airport T station and then shuttle from there...not sure if that counts.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I've walked to/from Dallas Love. IIRC, sidewalk the entire way.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I've walked to/from Dallas Love. IIRC, sidewalk the entire way.
Indeed. I've posted about this a couple of times.

NOT a pleasant walk in the summer.

LOVElink, aka DART bus 524 will take you FROM the airport for free. TO the airport is the regular price of $2.50 unless you can do weekday midday reduced fare of $1.75.

Walk to closest hotel, DoubleTree, is about 20 minutes, about 40 minutes to Orange Line IIRC. Nota Bene, I walk FAST
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:54 am

ADZ in the Caribbean has a town outside the front door and beaches within 10 min walk.

SCQ is special for walking. You can be one of the thousands walking 800km from the French border and walk right past or you can walk the 10km from Santiago de Compostela and have hundreds of people walking towards you just about to ask if you aren't going the wrong way.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by UltraRant
Just a crazy thought, but would it help if we started a wiki with this thread and categorize by continent, country and then airport (for walkable airports, that is) how to get there on foot?

I think it'd be much more useful to have an overview that's easily accessible instead of 18 pages with all sorts of success and fail stories.
I agree with this that a wiki is needed.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:07 am

It might have been reported already, but anyone has experience with the NEW terminal at RAK (Marrakesch) being walkable to the city? Google Maps says it's roughly 2,5km, so it seems like an easy walk in december..?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:04 am

RAK / Marrakesh: its easily walkable. Around 1hr to the hotel area (Sofitel etc) and slightly longer to the Riads in the Medina. Only was approached a few times by cabs. Wide sidewalks. Easy to find as its just straight/left/straight. Wouldnt do it with a (heavy) rollaboard but a light backpack is fine. In summer it would be too hot though I assume..

Cabs are REALLY overcharging tourists left and right here. Alternative is the public bus for some cents.. But when walking, we do it right dont we?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by benberg2013
I agree with this that a wiki is needed.
I started a wiki with airport codes and maps. Feel free to add...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.