Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
I don't know if they thought I might be a bomb freak or something, but they followed me quite a while but did not stop me, nor asked questions. Maybe they just wanted to see a crazy man.
You could have asked them for a ride
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
could > should.

"Harry, hol schon mal den Polizeiwagen!"
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Now that I came across this thread I see OP's point.

Trying to find my way out alongside the traffic and all that, I found police cars coming after me. I don't know if they thought I might be a bomb freak or something, but they followed me quite a while but did not stop me, nor asked questions. Maybe they just wanted to see a crazy man.
I know this feeling.
Don't count anymore the stares when jumping guardrails on unfriendly side roads. The perversion to get the better over fees and overcharges is literally priceless.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:12 am

Las Vegas airport isn't good for this. It seems that walking to the city is impossible. I tried to do it, because the hotel was a nice 30 minutes walk and I had almost no luggage. No such luck. I paid the fare for the bus, rode 2 stops and walked anyway. In your face, McCarran Airport!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:20 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:08 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by angatol
It's tricky to figure out where the path is to go out but once you've found it, it's very straightforward.
Damn it ;-) I looked for good 20 minutes, roaming T1 parking and bus stop area.
Could you give me a Google Maps marker for future reference. Where do I look for it?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:21 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Yeah, if they were ladies

To continue the topic a bit, I find PEK airport a messy circus to get to/from nearby airport hotels and would prefer walk but it is not easy there (not to save money but nerves and time)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:57 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Yeah, if they were ladies

To continue the topic a bit, I find PEK airport a messy circus to get to/from nearby airport hotels and would prefer walk but it is not easy there (not to save money but nerves and time)
I told a taxi to take me to a local restaurant near T3 (since I had enough time to not eat at the airport). Wherever we went had a somewhat pleasant path to the terminal which went by an artificial lake which doubled as a good location for spotters.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:45 am

Just a crazy thought, but would it help if we started a wiki with this thread and categorize by continent, country and then airport (for walkable airports, that is) how to get there on foot?

I think it'd be much more useful to have an overview that's easily accessible instead of 18 pages with all sorts of success and fail stories.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Works at Nauru (INU). There are only 2 hotels in the country, one less than 1 km to the west, the other about 2 km to the northeast. And when I was there, the only taxi in the country was immobilized since the island had run out of gas and the delivery dock was broken. (There was diesel for the hotel van, however.)

If you do walk it, there is only one road along the coast, so getting lost isn't much of a problem.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Walked to the Frederico Fellini Airport (RMI) in Rimini, Italy. I wasn't flying, just went for the walk. It's about 10 minutes from the hotels and restaurants on the beach, 50 minutes from downtown and a little more than an hour from where I was staying in Marina Centro. Not very busy at this time of year.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
This is an amazing topic. To chip in, I've walked to/from Taipei Songshan (TSA), Bagan-Nyaung U (NYU), Ouagadougou (OUA), Addis Ababa (ADD), Puerto Princessa (PPS).
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: LH
ZRH is easily walkable, although it will take you around 75mins for the 10k or so.

HAM is also easily walkable, but again I would estimate a good 60mins to be downtown. The airport however is still inside the city, so depending on where you need to go, it can be a lot shorter.

Public transport in both cities though is relatively cheap and goes straight to the airport in regular intervals.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Myyra
This is an amazing topic. To chip in, I've walked to/from Taipei Songshan (TSA), Bagan-Nyaung U (NYU), Ouagadougou (OUA), Addis Ababa (ADD), Puerto Princessa (PPS).
I also considered walking from ADD to my hotel, as it was just 3 kilometer or so. There is a strip of reasonable hotels close to the airport.

However, as there is also a motorway in between and transport was offered for free anyway (and the temperature was on the high side), I chose the shuttle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.