Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Air Asia - Carryon Luggage Size Limit

Air Asia - Carryon Luggage Size Limit

Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:09 am

question about number of carry on luggage

hello
i travel next week with air Asia x mel- kul. my question is they allow the laptop bag separately in the carry on luggage or they count total 7 kg with laptop and backpack.

thanks for your help
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by pank
hello
i travel next week with air Asia x mel- kul. my question is they allow the laptop bag separately in the carry on luggage or they count total 7 kg with laptop and backpack.

thanks for your help
Hi Pank, welcome to FT..
from what we read in this thread and on the airline website, the laptop is included in the carryon limit .. its no separate like full service airlines..
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
What if I stick my computer in my waistband down the front of my pants? I mean, if I'm wearing it, it isn't carry-on, is it.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
What if I stick my computer in my waistband down the front of my pants? I mean, if I'm wearing it, it isn't carry-on, is it.
better still.. u can wear it as a backpack and then wear a jacket on top after the security check.. so no ones notices u wearning a laptop on ur back..
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:14 am

Flew them SIN-KUL...Bag was 2 KG over the limit...not a word was exchanged =) Of course I had Crew Tags left on my luggage so I suppose they extended me some courtesy.

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
better still.. u can wear it as a backpack and then wear a jacket on top after the security check.. so no ones notices u wearning a laptop on ur back..

LOL...Miss USA18DCA did that on a recent RyanAir flight...we had to act like she was preggers
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:50 am

Business class on Air Asia

Air Asia sells business class seats on their flight to London fromKuala Lumpur Anyone know whether they charge for luggage for busines class pasengers on this flight? Anyone have any experience on this flight to Stansted?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:56 am

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Gold and no status with anyone else!
Air Asia uses the main terminal at Suwanabhumi in BKK.

Much nicer than the LCCT (low cost carrier terminal, or lower class as we normally refer to it) in KL, which is annoyingly a bus ride away from the main airport - and you have to PAY to go on the bus. And then it's an hour from KL city...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm planning a trip with my family to Asia for later this year. I'm flying to BKK using Star Alliance carriers, and as a Star Gold, I think we could pack up half our house and check it for free.

But then we might want to fly a bit WITHIN Asia, and I see the luggage hassles could begin. On first glance, it seems like Air Asia's carry-on limits are more generous than Spirit in the USA or Easyjet in Europe. It's almost like a regular carry-on and a "personal item" -- which is basically what I want to travel with. Here's what their website says:

You are allowed one piece of baggage onboard. Such baggage should not exceed dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm and it should not weigh more than 7kg. Such baggage should also fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead compartment in the cabin. The approved cabin baggage must be tagged with a cabin bag tag.

In addition to 1 item of baggage specified above, you can also bring a hand carry of:

1 laptop in a laptop carrier with its accessories

OR

1 handbag(male/female)

OR

1 musical instrument - a small musical instrument such as a violin/guitar/saxophone/trumpet etc. provided it does not exceed the approved weight and size (i.e. does exceed the dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm and must not weigh more than 7kg).

__________________________________________________ ________

Two immediate problems come to mind. First is weight. I don't weigh my carry-on very often, but it certain seems conceivable that it could be a little more than 7kg (especially packed for an around-the-world trip). Second, what exactly is a "handbag"? Would a medium sized backpack (a daypack) qualify? Most men where I live don't carry pocketbooks, so I'd look a little weird to my family with one.

I'm basically trying to figure out whether I should book an Air Asia flight or two, or whether the lugggage hassle will be too annoying. It seems like enforcement is often lax -- until it isn't. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like the checked baggage fee is that high. Am I right about that, and how route specific is it?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
__________________________________________________ ________

Two immediate problems come to mind. First is weight. I don't weigh my carry-on very often, but it certain seems conceivable that it could be a little more than 7kg (especially packed for an around-the-world trip). Second, what exactly is a "handbag"? Would a medium sized backpack (a daypack) qualify? Most men where I live don't carry pocketbooks, so I'd look a little weird to my family with one.
I've flown Air Asia many times with a backpack as a carry-on. As my backpack has my laptop, complete change of clothes, paperbacks, magazines and other assorted crap, I can safely say it's always been more that 7kg but I don't recall them ever asking to weigh it.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:46 pm

I see the fee schedule for luggage. I didn't choose any checked luggage when I made the booking- is it possible to add checked luggage before I get to the airport in order to pay less than what I would have to pay if checking at the airport?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Black Adder
I've flown Air Asia many times with a backpack as a carry-on. As my backpack has my laptop, complete change of clothes, paperbacks, magazines and other assorted crap, I can safely say it's always been more that 7kg but I don't recall them ever asking to weigh it.
Yeah, but what I'm looking to do is bring a regular size rollerboard PLUS an additional item, which Air Asia seems to indicate can be a "handbag." I'm trying to figure out what they consider a "handbag" to be!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, but what I'm looking to do is bring a regular size rollerboard PLUS an additional item, which Air Asia seems to indicate can be a "handbag." I'm trying to figure out what they consider a "handbag" to be!
this may work for a lady, but for a guy a rollaboard + a backpack wouldn't work... though I've seen people board with a small rollaboard + a computer bag
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
this may work for a lady, but for a guy a rollaboard + a backpack wouldn't work... though I've seen people board with a small rollaboard + a computer bag
Because that's allowed. Small rollaboard, as long as its within the limits is no problem, and a computer bag instead of a (ladies) handbag is also clearly allowed according to the rules.

I found Air Asia slightly less strict than for example Tiger with their luggage checks, on the other hand, it's still a bit dependant which agent you get, and also how full the flight is. (That's the same, board a 100% full LH flight, you'll experience super strict agents, board the same flight with 40% load and it's free for all..)
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Because that's allowed. Small rollaboard, as long as its within the limits is no problem, and a computer bag instead of a (ladies) handbag is also clearly allowed according to the rules.

I found Air Asia slightly less strict than for example Tiger with their luggage checks, on the other hand, it's still a bit dependant which agent you get, and also how full the flight is. (That's the same, board a 100% full LH flight, you'll experience super strict agents, board the same flight with 40% load and it's free for all..)
Thanks. I probably will have a laptop/ipad with me, but I usually carry it in a computer backpack (among other things); I guess I could substitute a smaller computer bag, but obviously that limits the amount of stuff I could take. I suppose I could give the backpack to my wife, which she could carry in her hand like a purse.

This is why I hate the low fare airline carry-on jujitzu game.

It does look like I might need an Air Asia flight within Thailand (Chiang Mai to Phuket) where I don't see a good alternative. If so, and if I can't meet the carry-on limit (it will be a 2 week trip, and I'm likely to buy stuff in Thailand), I guess I can always pay for a bag or two, which I don't think is crazy expensive.
Old May 19, 2012, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by jakesideas
I see the fee schedule for luggage. I didn't choose any checked luggage when I made the booking- is it possible to add checked luggage before I get to the airport in order to pay less than what I would have to pay if checking at the airport?
I logged into my account, found my flight and added luggage. I had to estimate the weight of my luggage as I haven't packed for the flight yet.

BKK-RGN:
Check-In Baggage (Pre-book)
International (up to 15kg) THB 320
International (up to 20kg) THB 350
International (up to 25kg) THB 525
International (up to 30kg) THB 630
International (up to 35kg) THB 800
International (up to 40kg) THB 1000
Check-In Baggage (Airport counter)
International (up to 15kg) THB 600

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.