Wiki Posts
Search

STA Travel and Student Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:33 am
Original Poster

STA Travel and Student Fares

Hi,
I am trying to book a one-way from BOS to LHR. I am 29 and not a student but still have my student ID which does not have an expiration date. As I recall with STA Travel they are not too picky when they issue ISIC cards which are required to book student fares.

The student fares for one way for LHR are much better priced than regular fares, i.e. the best on regular I am finding is $350 on Ice Air whereas with STA I am find $260 on a number of carriers, AA, VA, UAL, all which could also post miles.

When I booked student fares a while back I never recall anyone asking for Student ID when checking in, after all, if STA issues me a ISIC card would this be valid if they did ask me at the airline check in?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
So you're asking us if you can scam the system and get away with it?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
They are pretty picky. I was a legit student when I last bought a ticket from them. I also have a student ID card with no expiry date. They are well aware that there are many who have the same type of student cards and ask you for a current transcript. Considering that you're 29 and that you have to show a federal ID (with age), it would probably trigger them to really dig deep into your records.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Not that I would condone what you are planning to do, but in my experience with several STA tickets, there are two separate issues.
1. STA will require you purchase the ISIC ; I've always had a valid non expired student ID, so I'm not sure if that will be an issue.
2. Assuming STA does issue an ISIC , the ISIC is the one that airlines will want to see, not your student ID. I've only been asked for it on a couple of foreign carriers.
At least from my experience, the bottom line is will STA sell you he ISIC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.