Rental Car Pickup Time grace period...

Old May 14, 13, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Question Rental Car Pickup Time grace period...

Quite a few months ago, I got a pretty nice rate on a rental for our vacation travel this summer. I set up the reservations giving us about 1/2 hour grace period from the time our flight was to have arrived, until the time I had indicated in picking up the rental.

Since booking, Delta has changed our flight times. We are now arriving at the same time that I have the rental car reserved to pick up. I don't want to go in and change our rental info because I may not be able to get the good rate that we currently have. (national did that to me once and I lost out on a pretty decent rental rate)

Does anyone know how long of a grace period you have for picking up a car without the rental car agency not allowing us to pick up the car because we are outside of the "rental window" time. I know flights are late all the time and we have all of our flight info on the car reservation.... I just don't want to arrive and find out we either don't have a car, or cant get it for the rate we originally secured because we weren't there when we indicated.

~D
Old May 14, 13, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you even priced the same car now with the later pick-up time? Why fret about something that might not even be an issue? In fact, you might even get a lower rate on a new booking.
Old May 15, 13, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, 1MM, Choice Diamond
I have never had an issue picking up a car within an hour of actual flight arrival, no matter what the SCHEDULED arrival was. I have called the car rental 800 number on the occasion that arrival was next day due to flight cancellation. Never had an issue with that changing the rate
Old May 16, 13, 4:53 pm

Programs: Aegean Gold, United Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by HD_3 View Post
Quite a few months ago, I got a pretty nice rate on a rental for our vacation travel this summer. I set up the reservations giving us about 1/2 hour grace period from the time our flight was to have arrived, until the time I had indicated in picking up the rental.

Since booking, Delta has changed our flight times. We are now arriving at the same time that I have the rental car reserved to pick up. I don't want to go in and change our rental info because I may not be able to get the good rate that we currently have. (national did that to me once and I lost out on a pretty decent rental rate)

Does anyone know how long of a grace period you have for picking up a car without the rental car agency not allowing us to pick up the car because we are outside of the "rental window" time. I know flights are late all the time and we have all of our flight info on the car reservation.... I just don't want to arrive and find out we either don't have a car, or cant get it for the rate we originally secured because we weren't there when we indicated.

~D
In my experience with Budget, at airports you should be 100% OK. At hotel or other off-site pickup locations there's more of a risk. This is because the cars are shipped over from a central depot, if there is a car available (reserved for you) and a customer walks up, I have had Budget give away my rental car.

This happened to another Budget customer at the same location as mine as well.
Old Jul 22, 14, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Late arrivals

You should post this in the Sixt forum (which has Sixt customer service presence), but it does not apply to Budget (or Avis).

I can't find it in writing, but I am told the following from experience at airport locations and speaking on the phone with Budget CS:

-You can arrive up to 12 hours late from scheduled time (some say 23 hours, but I don't believe that is promised) and pick-up a reservation, if it is going to be beyond that, you need to contact and change the reservation.
-If your late flight arrival would come after the airport pickup office scheduled closing, the Budget office will usually wait 2 hours beyond the scheduled office hours (BUT ONLY IF you had put your flight number in the reservation). I am noticing for airport locations this is becoming a required field more often for reservations. The website seems to indicate they will wait until the last delayed flight, but I would not count on this aspect without calling ahead to confirm.

Rasheed

Search this Thread