Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Budget in France wants me to pay in Dollars instead of Euros

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM

Rented a Budget van in Lyon for the last two weeks. Noticed something new in the contact. It claimed that they have offered to let me pay in Euros and I chose to pay in dollars at 0.73 to a dollar exchange rate. Lies. Paying dollars for a foreign transaction is a huge rip off. The difference is about 4-5% depending how much the merchant wants to overcharge. I always make sure hotels and restaurants charge in local currency. Now I have to watch the rental car companies too?!

The contract was printed in French and English. The agent showed me everything in French version rather than English. It was very clear that I don't understand a word of French. I was distracted by a long list of documented minor scratches; did not reading the English contract when picked up the car as I normally do; and only noticed the terms when I read the English contract while waiting for 45 minutes to return my car.

At the return desk, the agent was nice enough to change the contact to paying by Euro. So all is good for this rental. Now more gotchas to watch for.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Nothing really new here. It's called DCC - Dynamic Currency Conversion. Lots of discussion on this topic in Hertz, Avis and other fora. You do have to watch out: as you note, the exchange rate is crap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.