URGENT: Rent in NY and CDW's T&C

Old Feb 22, 13, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.

Hi to everyone!.
I've to rent a Car tomorrow morning in Manhattan, with to drive in NY+NJ ( pick off in JFK) ?
The rental t&c are not clear enough because on English version they say all car damages are covered but on other languages ( as french e.g.) says CDW (not SLI); now I'd like to understand.. Does the insurance cover all car damages (e.g. Accident, blows, puncture,scratches,etc) without excess? I've rented thin Jul-Aug 12 in CA+NV and no excess applicable in case of accident or scratches.
Someone told me that in USA no excess can be applied on CDW..but I'm really confused!!
Can someone clarify it please ASAP?! Thanks
Old Feb 22, 13, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.

On a part of contract it reports:

142 East 31St Street

In the USA , Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is known as Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and includes Theft Protection.
LDW - Loss Damage Waiver is not an insurance, but optional coverage for loss of and damage to the rental vehicle resulting from collision, theft & vandalism. It does not cover fire, or other acts of nature. (with responsible & legal behavior, the renter is not responsible for fire or other acts of nature with or without purchase of LDW)
New York already includes LDW in the rental price, as required by law. it cannot be waived.
When LDW is included in the rate or purchased at the time of rental the customer is fully covered for loss of or damage to the vehicle with zero financial responsibility(zero excess/ deductible)for all vehicles
LDW is includes in rate. customer is still responsible for the first
$100 in damages

And

Your quote includes:
Local Tax (TAX) Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) Liability Insurance (LI) Vehicle Registration Fee (VRF) Airport/city surcharge Unlimited Mileage

About this, what is excluded in your opinion?
Old Feb 22, 13, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel View Post
New York already includes LDW in the rental price, as required by law. it cannot be waived. customer is still responsible for the first $100 in damages
Hi Paul4Travel, Are you sure about this? See below. Am I missing something?

"New York State Law formerly prohibited a rental vehicle company from selling Collision Damage Waivers (CDWs) in New York on rentals of 30 days or less of motor vehicles. A rental vehicle company was not, in most circumstances, able to hold renters liable for more than $100 in the event the rental vehicle was stolen or damaged. However, recent changes in the law now make the option of purchasing a CDW, also known as Optional Vehicle Protection (OVP) from the rental vehicle company, and also permits the rental vehicle company to hold the renter liable for the full amount of damage to the rented vehicle."

Above is from webpage: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/auto/autorent.htm

And,

One More from: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumer/faqs/faqs_auto.htm

(In the middle of page)

"Am I protected by my insurance when I drive a rental car?

Answer: Your motor vehicle liability insurance policy covers you for bodily injury and property damage liability, as well as no-fault, when you drive a rental vehicle. However, this coverage is provided on an "excess" basis, which means that your policy will cover you if the amount of damage or loss exceeds the insurance coverage provided by the rental vehicle company. If the vehicle was rented in New York State, the rental vehicle company must provide the minimum required coverages (see above "How much insurance must I carry?").
A rental vehicle company may hold a renter responsible for damage to, or loss of, rental vehicles, including loss of use. However, your motor vehicle liability policy may provide this coverage, subject to certain exclusions in the policy and certain other exceptions (SeeCollision Damage Waivers (or Optional Vehicle Protection) and Rental Vehicle Coverage: Some Questions and Answers.). It is important to know that you as a renter may be held fully responsible for damage to a rental vehicle unless an "optional vehicle protection" is purchased from the rental vehicle company, or you have insurance coverage under your motor vehicle insurance policy or through your credit card."

Also, Car Rental Tip Sheet webpage from our Attorney General makes NO mention of this either.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds...ntal-tip-sheet
Old Feb 22, 13, 11:37 am
Original Poster

That's also my doubt!
So you desume all insurance are already included in the price and no excess applied (max. 100$)?!
I've to pick car up within 4h by now so I'd like to understand!! Thank you so much
Old Feb 22, 13, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel View Post
On a part of contract it reports:

142 East 31St Street

In the USA , Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is known as Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and includes Theft Protection.
LDW - Loss Damage Waiver is not an insurance, but optional coverage for loss of and damage to the rental vehicle resulting from collision, theft & vandalism. It does not cover fire, or other acts of nature. (with responsible & legal behavior, the renter is not responsible for fire or other acts of nature with or without purchase of LDW)
New York already includes LDW in the rental price, as required by law. it cannot be waived.
When LDW is included in the rate or purchased at the time of rental the customer is fully covered for loss of or damage to the vehicle with zero financial responsibility(zero excess/ deductible)for all vehicles
LDW is includes in rate. customer is still responsible for the first
$100 in damages

And

Your quote includes:
Local Tax (TAX) Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) Liability Insurance (LI) Vehicle Registration Fee (VRF) Airport/city surcharge Unlimited Mileage

About this, what is excluded in your opinion?
You're insured to state minimums on liability which is about $100,000 in New York. SLI increases the liability coverage to about $1,000,000.

CDW is just that for vehicle accidents etc. LDW is for a loss through theft, etc.

You also have the option of getting other forms of insurance like Personal Effects Coverage. A lot of these additional insurance items are coverage by credit card companies but not all.
Old Feb 22, 13, 1:12 pm

This is what I think:

I am a New Yorker & don't own a car; thus, no car insurance. FOR ME, as US Citizen & New Yorker, CDW/LDW is NOT automatically included in my rate.

Here's where we differ:

Now I see you are from London. So if you reserved through www.budget-uk.com. It is included in your rental contract as that's a Europe thing.

I see from the T&C's from Budgets UK website:

JFK T&C w/Budget UK
Your Quote Includes:
Unlimited Miles
Local Tax
TRANSP FAC CHG
Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

or

142 East 31St Street's T&C w/Budget UK
Your Quote Includes:
Unlimited Miles
Local Tax
Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

When LDW is included in the rate or purchased at the time of rental the customer is fully covered for loss of or damage to the vehicle with zero financial responsibility(zero excess/ deductible)for all vehicles. LDW is includes in rate. customer is still responsible for the first $100 in damages.
**This is what is quoted in Budget's UK rental agreement terms for each location.

When Budget stated in the contract "Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is known as Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and includes Theft Protection." They are locked into that determination.

JFK location would not have you responsible for the first $100 in damages.
East 31St Street does have you responsible for the first $100 in damages.

A rental contract is a rental contract so I say you're good!

This is my option anyway.

Link to 142 East 31St Street's T&C w/Budget UK (For other's to review)
https://www.budget-uk.com/worldwide/...p?Location=NY6

Link to JFK T&C w/Budget UK (For other's to review)
https://www.budget-uk.com/worldwide/...p?Location=JFK

Last edited by leafpile; Feb 22, 13 at 1:18 pm
Old Feb 22, 13, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Indeed! So do you think that coverages I've posted above (2nd post) are enough?! I've to drive about 100-130 miles total and nothing more!
I'd like to avoid any charge due to little scratches (maybe done by others on parking!)!
As I read, the maximum excess is 100$.

Thanks to all!!

Last edited by Paul4Travel; Feb 22, 13 at 1:23 pm
Old Feb 22, 13, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds as though OP and others may be reading from different Websites. I would read the contract at the pickup point very carefully. It is that version which you sign for an which will control.
Old Feb 22, 13, 2:17 pm

Yeah, I think it's enough.
I'm not sure if it's an option to purchase the $9/day LDW that sold at the counter on top the LDW that's included just to avoid $100. LOL!

I admit I'm still confused about;

"When LDW is included in the rate or purchased at the time of rental the customer is fully covered for loss of or damage to the vehicle with zero financial responsibility(zero excess/ deductible)for all vehicles."

But then says this:

"LDW is includes in rate. customer is still responsible for the first $100 in damages."
(Maybe it's from the old NY law & no longer applies...ask the agent about this, because this IS a deductible). It should really be one or the other. ???

***Anyway, Often1 makes a very good point:

"I would read the contract at the pickup point very carefully. It is that version which you sign for and which will control."

In advance, welcome to New York! Have a wonderful time!
Post back and let me know how everything worked out.

Best of luck & safe travels!
Old Mar 26, 13, 5:43 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Scratches? Please.. us Manhattanites have superb parking skills

Search this Thread