Picking car up early

Old Sep 24, 12, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott PP, HH Diamond
Picking car up early

I have a reservation for a midsize SUV at KOA for 7PM. Due to some flight changes I will actually now arrive at 3:30PM. I called Budget (also have a reservation at Thrifty) and they told me that the earliest time to pick up a reserved vehicle was a max of 1 hour before. To change the reservation to reflect a pick up time of 4:30 PM would increase the rental by about double what I originally reserved for. If it was just a few days, not a big deal but this is for over a week rental.

Anyone have experience picking up a reserved car more than an hour earlier than the reserved time?
Old Sep 24, 12, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I would just go to the rental counter and see. In Hawaii, they likely will practice the aloha spirit and give you the car as reserved, assuming availability at that time. Pretty laid back at KOA.

I'd say relax and get a snack/lunch at the airport, but as I remember it there's not a whole lot there....
Old Sep 24, 12, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

I figure it wouldn't be much problem, but when I checked the prices online now and called the customer service, to make the pick up time 2 hours earlier would have changed our rental price from $275 to close to $600. Just for a 2 hour change!!! I don't know how I got such a good rate for the Midsize SUV for the start of the summer vacation 2013, but at this point I will certainly keep the reservation and put on the charm to get the car early.
Old Sep 24, 12, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I once reserved a car at MCO for midnight instead of 11pm due to a double cost, and was forced to wait by a surly crew. I just camped out in the lobby and watched my Slingbox. A number of other times I have had no trouble, and folks in Hawaii are the epitome of hang loose.

If the res is that far in the future, just keep checking to see if you can get an even better deal.
Old Sep 25, 12, 10:53 am

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Picking up the same day but an earlier time and dropping off at an equally early time generally does not cause a problem at the rental counter. The following 3 scenarios may apply to your situation:
1. Picking up earlier adjusts your rate from a weekend to daily - many locations consider a Thursday rental before 6 pm a weekday rental at an increased cost.
2. Picking up earlier adjusts your rate from a weekend to weekly rate - 3 days Thursday 7p - Monday 7p is a weekend rate. Thursday 3:30p - Monday 7p is now a weekly rate or a weekend rate with a very expensive extra hourly/daily charge.
3. The location is sold out one or more of your days.

As posted above, arrive early and pray for some aloha spirit. It does not hurt to join FastBreak so that your car is ready for you faster and you receive some preferred service.
Old Sep 25, 12, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Interesting info. My reservation is for pick up at 7pm Thursday and drop off at 11am Thursday. Since the flight arrives at 3:30 PM I expect to be at the Budget desk by 4:30 PM at the latest. By having a week rental does the earlier pick up time (Thursday <6PM) rule apply as it would if the rental was for Thursday to Monday?
Old Sep 26, 12, 11:10 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by crf450x View Post
By having a week rental does the earlier pick up time (Thursday <6PM) rule apply as it would if the rental was for Thursday to Monday?
No. Weekend rates are cheaper and are generally restricted to Thu-Mon rentals. The rate goes higher if the car is picked up before the weekend rate goes into effect.
Old Sep 27, 12, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by crf450x View Post
I figure it wouldn't be much problem, but when I checked the prices online now and called the customer service, to make the pick up time 2 hours earlier would have changed our rental price from $275 to close to $600. Just for a 2 hour change!!! I don't know how I got such a good rate for the Midsize SUV for the start of the summer vacation 2013, but at this point I will certainly keep the reservation and put on the charm to get the car early.
I'm perplexed about why you are asking this question now ... at least eight/nine months before you pick up the vehicle?
Airline flight schedules change a lot. Airlines haven't loaded their summer 2013 schedules yet. Doubtless you will likely have a number of changes between now and then. I wouldn't think/worry about it until a week or two before you trip.
Old Sep 29, 12, 7:20 pm

Programs: FBG
AFAIK Budget charges per 24hrs so it does not matter if you leave your car at 11am or 2pm as long as it will not go over 24hrs.
You may try to change your reservation online and see if it works. Try first to change from 7pm to 6pm, then to 5pm and so forth. Before you accept changes you can always cancel.
Old Oct 8, 12, 12:52 am

Programs: arrickbits
Smile

I don't face that kind of problem but its really embarrassing .When you reserved a car then you have to confirm about the term and conditions of that company.

Search this Thread