Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Budget premium G - changing the car to another brand/model

Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: FBG

Hi!
I booked a G class rental for a couple of weeks to pick-up in NYC. On the Budget.com it says Premium and Mercury Grand Marquis or similar. When I picked-up the car it was the last "luxury" sedan and the facility was totally rented out so I ended up with Ford Crown Vic. It does not have GPS, Bluetooth or hands-free.
I don't consider FCV being a premium car and would like to swap it for another brand/model in the same class at another facility as this one seems to be quite strict with "you got what you booked".
Does anybody have an experience of changing vehicles under current contract without paying extra?
I have no problem keeping Crown Vic for some time but what I consider being the biggest disadvantage of driving one in suburbs of NYC is to be mistaken for a livery car all the time, especially at night. People wink, whistle and try to catch my attention when I cruise the streets trying to find a parking.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:47 pm

Just go to another location and say "It makes this weird grinding noise when it gets to about 65 or so, I don't feel safe in it. Is there any way I can swap it?"

Check the lot first to ensure there are no more Crown Vics (which are Premium, BTW). Here is what Budget considers a G class according to budget.com:

Mercury Grand Marquis; Buick Lucerne; Chrysler 300; Ford Crown Victoria; Lincoln MKZ; Nissan Maxima; and Pontiac G8.

I doubt there are any more Pontiac G8s in the fleet, but all the others should be there.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: FBG
Amazingly, to my own surprise I found out that fuel consumption of Crown Vic is not so bad, around 19mpg so far and the biggest advantage is the fact that this car is 6 seater.
For the hands-free I started using my GPS(it has Bluetooth) and the trunk is really huge.
BTW I heard that Pontiac G8 and Nissan Maxima are very rare birds in rental, same thing applies for Grand Marquis and Lucerne. Chances are much higher to end up with Taurus or LaCrosse than with Lincoln.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:49 am

Which cars does Budget now consider Premium?

Mercury Grand Marquis; Buick Lucerne; Ford Crown Victoria; and the Pontiac G8 are no longer in production. Mercury and Pontiac as brands are long gone.

So what cars show up when renting a Premium class with Budget?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
I've been getting Chrysler 300s as the Premium car from Budget. On the highway I have been getting 32-34 MPG, which really surprised me.

I still see the Town Cars and the Mercury Grand Marquis on the lot, but the brand new ones are the 300s, or at least are where I have been renting.
Old May 14, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by ctuttle
I've been getting Chrysler 300s as the Premium car from Budget. On the highway I have been getting 32-34 MPG, which really surprised me.

I still see the Town Cars and the Mercury Grand Marquis on the lot, but the brand new ones are the 300s, or at least are where I have been renting.
Do the 300s usually have the leather and chrome wheels?

I seem to get the GM a lot which isnt bad and the rate is dirt cheap, I dont mind not getting a luxury car with the HUGE difference they have been lately as long as the car has leather.
Old May 14, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
Some of the 300s are leather and some are cloth. Am in one right now that has the leather and the Alpine stereo. The "entertainment" system also has a rear camera that comes on when you put the car in reverse. It also has a USB and SD card inputs for MP3s.

Not all are leather, but this one is very nice. Got 36MPG on the highway, and it only had 5K on it when I checked it out.

I'm also seeing some Nissan Maxima's in the "premium" category, but the one I recently got was cloth, and the stereo in it was terrible. I may just be spoiled with the 300's but the Maxima was just uncomfortable to drive. The Bluetooth wouldn't connect with my phone, and the car only had a few thousand miles on it. They were able to find this 300 for me on this rental when I told them I really didn't want a Maxima ever again.

I agree with you on the leather package on cars. Even an Impala seems a lot nicer when it has leather.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by ctuttle
Some of the 300s are leather and some are cloth. Am in one right now that has the leather and the Alpine stereo. The "entertainment" system also has a rear camera that comes on when you put the car in reverse. It also has a USB and SD card inputs for MP3s.

Not all are leather, but this one is very nice. Got 36MPG on the highway, and it only had 5K on it when I checked it out.

I'm also seeing some Nissan Maxima's in the "premium" category, but the one I recently got was cloth, and the stereo in it was terrible. I may just be spoiled with the 300's but the Maxima was just uncomfortable to drive. The Bluetooth wouldn't connect with my phone, and the car only had a few thousand miles on it. They were able to find this 300 for me on this rental when I told them I really didn't want a Maxima ever again.

I agree with you on the leather package on cars. Even an Impala seems a lot nicer when it has leather.
I wonder if the non leather cars are classified as full size? Budget specifically mentions under Premium that the car has leather interior, its what made me confident about trying them.

Yeah, that 6 cylinder with the 8 speed automatic in the new 300s is a great combination. Its a shame they didnt immediately use that engine with the 5.7 motor in all their products, they certainly would sell A LOT more of them.

I recently had a toyota product for an afternoon with cloth and its one of the few cloth cars I felt had a nice feel to it, not that scratchy itchy feel most have. Another reason I go for leather is it tends to feel much cleaner and doesnt absorb odors from previous renters nearly as bad lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.