Do they really credit check when renting with a debit card?

 
Old Feb 12, 12, 7:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mill Valley
Programs: Costco Club
Posts: 445
Do they really credit check when renting with a debit card?

In Budget's policy it says that a credit check will be performed if renting with a debit card, my questions are:

Do they really ALWAYS do a credit check when renting with a debit card?

AND

What are the qualifications to pass their credit check?

Thanks
StevenSeagalFan is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:38 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Yes, always

No idea

Although as of last week it is no longer a hard pull on your credit report.
MrAndrew is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 2:33 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot on map
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,737
I think what they mean is that they will take an authorisation on your card. They do not do a 'credit check' that impedes your credit score if that is what you mean.

Some debit cards have a hold policy in that they authorise an amount without directly affecting your bank balance whereas some cards immediately withdraw from your account.
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:17 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 886
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
I think what they mean is that they will take an authorisation on your card. They do not do a 'credit check' that impedes your credit score if that is what you mean.

Some debit cards have a hold policy in that they authorise an amount without directly affecting your bank balance whereas some cards immediately withdraw from your account.
Yes, they take an authorization on your card.

Yes, they do a credit check.

No, it is not the kind that impedes your credit score.

And to the OP, yes, they really do, and yes, I've really seen people who were unable to rent because they didn't meet the standards.
abefroman329 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by abefroman329 View Post
No, it is not the kind that impedes your credit score.
This is true now.

Like I said, up until a few weeks ago it was a hard inquiry on your equifax report.
MrAndrew is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:38 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Posts: 305
Originally Posted by MrAndrew View Post
This is true now.

Like I said, up until a few weeks ago it was a hard inquiry on your equifax report.
I am curious does anyone know why it changed? Was it a new law? Did the change apply to all 3 credit bureaus?
Thanks



,
William2005 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 12, 12:31 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by William2005 View Post
I am curious does anyone know why it changed? Was it a new law? Did the change apply to all 3 credit bureaus?
Thanks
,
Their agreement was with Equifax only. They do not check the other 2 bureaus.

As far as I know, Avis didn't want to submit a hard pull, but Equifax required one. Avis finally won the argument.
MrAndrew is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread