First time ever renting.

Old May 10, 2011, 11:16 am
Original Poster

First time ever renting.

This will be my first time renting a car and i am wondering if anyone has decided to take your camera with you to just take a couple pictures o the car when you pick it up and drop it off to cover yourself incase they say that there is damage. Or do people just decide to do the walk around and go on with there day. Also what kinda car do can you usually expect with a full size car.

thanks.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I have probably rented cars about 200 times in my life. I have not ever had a dispute about damage (knock on wood). I think taking photos might give you peace of mind. I always do a walk around and only note items that are more significant than scratches or scuff marks. Sometimes the cars are wet or are in a dark garage, which makes it harder to view any previous damage.

When I return the car, the check-in person usually does a brief walk around but they seem to be looking for dents and not scratches.

Good luck!
Old May 10, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Numerous previous rentals

Well, taking pictures won't do any harm...but shouldn't be necessary. Do a full walk around in the best light..you can find. If it is dark in the lot at time of pick-up..just drive the vehicle under a light within the lot...to get a better visual. Note anything of concern...scatches, dents, paint chips. Ensure the windshield is not cracked or chipped. However having said that.. I once had a Lot attendant tell me that they are looking for "Fist sized" damage.....little door dings, scratches...not so much. Not worth having the car out of the fleet to fix.
What I will tell you...when picking up your rental vehicle...you want to be your sharpest. This is the time that the ever vigilant rental agent is looking for the weary traveller to take advantage of some of their company's "Deals"
* Never agree to bring the car back "Empty" Just keeping saying 'I will bring the car back Full...I will bring the car back Full" It seems there are stlil some out there that will succumb to one of the rental car company's BIGGEST money makers.
They will charge you for a full tank regardless of how empty you return the vehicle. Difficult to drive around on fumes also.
* Rent the size vehicle you wish to drive. Accept a complimentary upgrade if you wish...never agree to Pay for an upgrade..... It is always per day.. and can really add up. Chances are that they don't even have the class vehicle you reserved and were going to have to give you a complimentary upgrade anyway (Had this happen many many times)
Old May 11, 2011, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. I hope they have a fullsize car. Thats what we rented. otherwise would have to downgrade cause i dont want an suv at all. Gas prices way to high for that.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I've only taken pictures once and that was for a relatively large dent that wasn't noted on the rental agreement until I pointed it out in which case the agent wrote it on by hand, which gave me doubts. However, the photos weren't needed.

Another time I was accused by Hertz of returning a car with a dent until I pointed out that the only evidence they had was a digital photo taken a full week after I returned the car. They dropped it, though I've never rented from them since under the "fool me once..." theory.

Bottom line is, photos are not needed but if you want to take some pics for piece of mind it can't hurt.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tcncc
Thank you for your suggestions. I hope they have a fullsize car. Thats what we rented. otherwise would have to downgrade cause i dont want an suv at all. Gas prices way to high for that.
Involuntary UPgrading happens too, quite a bit. Numerous times I've been saddled with a mini-van or pickup truck.

Try to pick up as early as possible without incurring a charge for extra time, so there's plenty of inventory available.

Also, become familiar with the collision damage waiver coverage on your credit card and all coverage on your personal auto insurance, so you can decide if it's worthwhile to decline any and all insurance offered (numerous times) by the rental agency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.