Wiki Posts
Search

Never Rented Before

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Never Rented Before

Hi, I never rented a car before with the exception of a U-haul and not sure if you guys would count zip car.

But I just made a reservation with Budget and i was wondering how it works. I expected to have to enter my credit card information etc but they didn't ask for any of that it just gave me a confirmation number and a confirmed rate.

I guess my question is, is this the norm I assume it is but am a bit confused.

I think I am worried that since I didn't have to enter a credit card they won't hold the reservation or honor the confirmed rate.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:53 am
Original Member

HWGeeks, that's the way it always works...

They'll get your credit card info at the counter.

Not to worry about your reservation. But, it's just like the airlines (but less so). They can overbook and run out of cars. But it doesn't seem to happen too often. Last I can remember for me was back about 20 years ago when the agency I rented from ran out of cars at about 10PM at night. They just stopped running the shuttle at that point. But calling the 800# they told me to catch the Alamo shuttle & they had arranged for me to get a car from them. The original company either paid for my car, or paid the difference in rate; too stinking long ago...I think they reimbursed the difference and that it took quite awhile (many weeks) to get that from them..

Bring a printout just in case, but I wouldn't expect any problem.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:50 am

All the companies have told me they overbook the low end (economy cars). They don't buy too many because most customers don't want them. So, for instance, a location may have an average of 1-2 subcompacts per day in stock. The blue moon rises and one person books it. Bingo, no problem. Then 2 more people book it, one of whom cancels half an hour in advance. No problem, there are 5 compacts, 2 reserved. So the subcompact renter gets bumped involuntarily to a higher equipment substitution. If it were 3 compacts, 4 reserved, and 10 midsizes, 9 reserved, and 8 fullsizes, 3 reserved, the bumping chain elongates, with a few people being upsized a class.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
All the companies have told me they overbook the low end (economy cars). They don't buy too many because most customers don't want them. So, for instance, a location may have an average of 1-2 subcompacts per day in stock. The blue moon rises and one person books it. Bingo, no problem. Then 2 more people book it, one of whom cancels half an hour in advance. No problem, there are 5 compacts, 2 reserved. So the subcompact renter gets bumped involuntarily to a higher equipment substitution. If it were 3 compacts, 4 reserved, and 10 midsizes, 9 reserved, and 8 fullsizes, 3 reserved, the bumping chain elongates, with a few people being upsized a class.
I booked a mid size SUV a Kia it seems. I arrive at 5pm on a Saturday.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
That used to be the case, but ever since fuel prices jumped, smaller cars are a bit more popular these days. Still, the midsize class is by FAR the one with the most number of cars. Fullsize is next, followed by compacts and economies. Specialty cars are last, though numbers vary by market (convertibles are popular in sunny climes, while SUVs are popular in snowy ones).

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I booked a mid size SUV a Kia it seems. I arrive at 5pm on a Saturday.
If the rental company can't give you your midsize SUV, then they should give you a free upgrade into a nicer/larger vehicle, since it is their responsibility to meet or exceed what you have reserved.

If in the RARE event they don't have ANYTHING they can substitute (and if it's not your fault, such as arriving late after they've considered you a no-show or coming in too early), then it is their responsibility to either make alternate accommodations (at their cost) or compensate you for your inconvenience. Be nice and respectful to them and be willing to work with them (especially since it's not the front-line agent's fault they're short), but don't let them bully you around and just tell you they can't give you a car. It is their responsibility to get a car comparable to or better than what you've booked at no additional cost.

Here is what a rental agency should do if they do not have a car in your reserved class, in rough order of what is reasonable to expect them to do:

1) Give you a free upgrade
2) Arrange to get you a car from a competitor (reimbursing you for the difference, if any)
3) Compensate you for any delays (beyond 5-10 minutes) if there are delays in getting you a car (including transportation to another location or giving you a temporary replacement smaller car until a bigger one comes in)
4) Offer a smaller vehicle at a discount from your reserved rate
5) Pay for alternate transportation (taxis, etc.)

Last edited by jackal; Aug 21, 2010 at 1:44 am
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
1st Time Car Rental Tips

Let's assume for the purpose of this discussion...that they have the vehicle class you have reserved. When at the counter ..and providing Driver's License, credit card...Be prepared they will often times try to "Upsell" you

* Refuse the "Gas option"......This is one of their biggest moneymakers. Tell them you will bring the vehicle back Full..just as you will receive it. Surprisingly..there must be a few folks that will opt for this. The company profits from whatever gas is left in the tank....It is difficult to drive around on fumes. They charge for a full tank with that option and tell you to bring it back empty....Decline!
* The car insurance that they sell at the counter is outrageously expense. Decline this.... and check what your Home vehicle's coverage might be on a rental vehicle or purchase a Traveller's package from you Insurer. Usually a 1/4 of the price the Rental car agencies will charge. Make sure you get comprehensive coverage. Collison, damage, Liability(Very N.B.), Loss of use..etc...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Executrip
Let's assume for the purpose of this discussion...that they have the vehicle class you have reserved. When at the counter ..and providing Driver's License, credit card...Be prepared they will often times try to "Upsell" you

* Refuse the "Gas option"......This is one of their biggest moneymakers. Tell them you will bring the vehicle back Full..just as you will receive it. Surprisingly..there must be a few folks that will opt for this. The company profits from whatever gas is left in the tank....It is difficult to drive around on fumes. They charge for a full tank with that option and tell you to bring it back empty....Decline!
* The car insurance that they sell at the counter is outrageously expense. Decline this.... and check what your Home vehicle's coverage might be on a rental vehicle or purchase a Traveller's package from you Insurer. Usually a 1/4 of the price the Rental car agencies will charge. Make sure you get comprehensive coverage. Collison, damage, Liability(Very N.B.), Loss of use..etc...
I maintain a post with a great deal of tips on renting a car (especially if you never have before) here (it's the second post in the thread):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrif...ml#post9014162

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.