Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Stay w/ Budget or go to Avis

Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist

I rent a week a month and have been going with Budget for a couple yrs. The counter people all know me and give me discounted upgrades, but they obviously have no loyalty program. Budget has great cars where I rent (have had over yrs- bmw 1 series, volvo s, camaro ss, lincoln mkz, cadillac srx, currently a flex which is ugly as sin, but has great interior). Avis cars here are very basic.

So do I stick with Budget and my local counter agents loyalty program or go to Avis and build loyalty for free rentals when I'm on vacation? TIA
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:13 pm

Guess it's a matter of...

what floats your boat. I rent cars 364 days a year, Budget was a favorite because of various promotions and price. My last Budget rental was $90 per week, then the next week they wanted $280/wk for the same vehicle. It took me about 5 seconds to scratch my head and switch.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GreekDeno
I rent a week a month and have been going with Budget for a couple yrs. The counter people all know me and give me discounted upgrades, but they obviously have no loyalty program. Budget has great cars where I rent (have had over yrs- bmw 1 series, volvo s, camaro ss, lincoln mkz, cadillac srx, currently a flex which is ugly as sin, but has great interior). Avis cars here are very basic.

So do I stick with Budget and my local counter agents loyalty program or go to Avis and build loyalty for free rentals when I'm on vacation? TIA
IMHO, this kind of loyalty is priceless, since it puts you well over the top of any top-tier elite level. The agents know and like you (especially if you occasionally buy something from them--remember, they are commissioned salespeople, and they like people who buy things), and so if anything happens, you'll be given the best treatment. You'll be given the car in stall A-1 with the fewest miles and nicest trim package. Something wrong with your car? They'll go the extra mile and drive out to meet you. Something wrong with your rate or you accidentally booked the wrong date? They'll do a manual adjustment without question. Tight on availability? You're first in line to get a car. Returning late and low on gas? They'll have no qualms backdating your return time and only charging you pump price.

Knowing and being appreciated by the front-line people is ALWAYS better than any sort of corporate loyalty.

That said, earning free days for vacations is nice.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks. I will stick with budget and use avis for other location travel to get rewards there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.