Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LDW in JFK/LGA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

LDW in JFK/LGA

I'll be spending a couple of weeks in the NYC area and was checking some rent price for different cities.
Why does Budget charges only $9.00/day for CDW in JFK/LGA when everywhere else they charge $25.99/day, like for instance DCA in Washington?
Are they the same coverage? Why is it that much cheaper in NYC?
I don't live in the US.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
That is a good question. I have a two day rental from them at JFK tomorrow and was wondering the same thing. It would be good to know, but I will sure ask a manager tomorrow.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:12 pm

Hertz once told me it's $9/day by NYS law.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Do you know which law is that?
I'd like to take a look to see what it really means.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:06 pm

I don't know. I didn't ask, since I don't buy CDW.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Hertz once told me it's $9/day by NYS law.
I believe this is the case. I seem to recall seeing the same price for LDW at Dollar and National, too, and seeing somewhere that it was limited by state law. It's a relatively recent state law, AFAIK--agencies were formerly prohibited from selling LDW at all, and a law was passed allowing them to do so but regulating the amount they can charge.

NYS has one of the most tightly-regulated rental car environments. Agencies are held responsible for third-party liability coverage (they were formerly held fully vicariously liable for unlimited damages, but I believe that was recently overturned by a federal court), can only charge a certain amount for LDW, and must rent to anyone over 18. Consequently, there are some very steep fees for demographics the rental agencies believe are risky--underage drivers and renters from Brooklyn and The Bronx can be charged well north of $50 per day in extra fees. I've always wondered if rental agencies would simply leave the state if NYS were to pass laws restricting those fees...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.