Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by beetdiggingcougar
My wife and I are taking our daughter OAK to ARN in December as the price was too good to resist. Just thinking about seat reservations and had an idea that I'd like some feedback.

I'm an accountant and with that comes frugality that I can't shake. If I paid for my wife to have a window seat and I get the aisle seat leaving the middle seat open will DY know to assign my daughter in between us and avoid that charge? She's 2 years old and I assume (hopefully correctly) that they won't put her away from her parents?

Thanks for all your help.
The chances are probably good that nobody would pick the middle seat until quite late in the process, and you could assign the seat at online check in as soon as it opens. Nobody would surely pay for that seat assignment. However, I would not run the risk for the few bucks you can save. Because there is a risk you will suddenly end up in different locations on the plane.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
"Fliers somehow don't self destruct during 70-hour flight delay"

According to Nielsen, it would take 46 1/2 hours to watch every episode of Breaking Bad. In just over 50 hours, you could see all five seasons of The Walking Dead. Either way, you’d still have plenty of time – like another 20 hours of time – to catch your Norwegian Air flight. Over the weekend, 250 passengers somehow managed to not claw their own faces off while they endured a seventy – that’s right, 7-0 – hour delay before a flight from Oakland to Oslo.
http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/06...-flight-delay/
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
I was unlucky enough to be booked on this with my family of 4 travelers. I had booked a one way to Paris and used miles for The return back from Manchester on United. It started out as a 12 hour delay, then 24, then 48 and so on. The eventual departure was over 70 hours late and did not even make it to Oslo since Norwegian had the replacement charter aircraft only fly to Iceland where Norwegian 737s ferried the passengers to Oslo.

Staff at OAK don't work for DY and had no authority to do much. They said that they would only reimburse for a total of $100 for hotel costs PER RESERVATION not per passenger plus $20 per day for food for all four of us. We phoned DY and they told us the same on the phone.

Since we were only planning to be in Paris for 3 nights and then be heading up to Manchester by Eurostar and Virgin Trains we decided to cancel and book a one-way to LHR with AA using miles.

The kicker..... DY have given me a partial refund with no explanation of the reason for a partial refund or any idea of what portion I'm being refunded. Finally, I no longer have the credit card that I used for the booking so I have no idea what will happen to the refund. I'm also taking a hit for 3 nights accommodation in Paris and 4 Eurostar tickets.

Also this was the only time available for me and my family to take a vacation. I am really pissed.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The chances are probably good that nobody would pick the middle seat until quite late in the process, and you could assign the seat at online check in as soon as it opens. Nobody would surely pay for that seat assignment. However, I would not run the risk for the few bucks you can save. Because there is a risk you will suddenly end up in different locations on the plane.
I don't believe DY's online check in is available from US airports. You can get to the airport early and get a seat assignment as early as possible. Also, if you book 3 pax on the same reservation, you'll automatically be assigned "adjacent" seats for free (sometimes spanning an aisle... but you can get that fixed by getting to the airport early!)

Last edited by hypertext; Jun 7, 2015 at 1:50 am
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Google translated (and a few edits) from Danish:
Passengers saw man die: - We were offered a sandwich
Three passengers traveling sharp criticism of the airline Norwegian, after a fellow passenger died during the chaos.

- Thank you for choosing to fly with Norwegian.
The traditional farewell salute sounded over the speakers on the plane DY5524 as Lark Jensen, Mads Rademacher, Kristian Rasmussen and their fellow passengers late Friday night landed at Copenhagen Airport.

- So we could just go home. We got no information or offers of counseling, even though we had just seen a man die, says the 30-year-old student Lark Jensen.

For there was nothing traditional or generally about the journey that she and the rest of the plane's passengers had just been looking at. The plane should have taken off Friday afternoon from Alicante in Spain, but shortly before departure a male passenger fell ill.

The passengers told Ekstra Bladet that the crew panicked and that it took about five minutes before it began first aid.
[...]
Norwegian: - We do not offer automatic counseling
Google translated to English: https://translate.google.com/transla...432&edit-text=

Original article: http://ekstrabladet.dk/112/flypassag...ndwich/5596432
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:30 pm

This is above my knowledge; would anyone happen to know if the wifi will work on Norwegian's 737's which they will be using on their USA-French Caribbean routes? I assume the streaming aspect will, but I am unclear as to whether it would work over the Atlantic en route, for example, from JFK to FDF.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Yes.

Norwegian operates one of the world’s most modern and eco-friendly fleets. On the U.S.-Caribbean routes, the airline will fly its new Boeing 737-800s with 186 comfortable, leather seats and it will be the first airline to offer free Wi-Fi on flights to the Caribbean.
http://media.norwegian.com/us/#/pres...ibbean-1184050

Originally Posted by pafnyc
This is above my knowledge; would anyone happen to know if the wifi will work on Norwegian's 737's which they will be using on their USA-French Caribbean routes? I assume the streaming aspect will, but I am unclear as to whether it would work over the Atlantic en route, for example, from JFK to FDF.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:23 pm

My experience on Norwegian... for what it's worth

Copenhagen to Oakland via Oslo June 29. Vacation travel.

Yes, I know. You get what you pay for. Which in the case of Norwegian, as with most budget airlines, is a cramped seat, period. Nothing more. Don't look for the flight attendants to offer you anything, at all, including the faintest pretense that they could give a rat's ... about the job or your safety or comfort. Presumably they are on board as required by the FAA, or whichever agency oversees these matters, to open the doors and point the way out in case of emergency and that's all.

I felt bad for them. They were the single greatest impression about the experience (including the much vaunted 787). To a person they were very good looking, but forlorn, defeated, and sad. They were not in the least hostile or rude; there was in fact something likeable about them, especially when they became animated briefly while pretending to sell the duty free crap (a humiliating chore for any flight attendant) while chanting something rhyming and rhythmic under their breath, an inside joke of some sort that I couldn't quite make out, but it put a smile on their faces, albeit briefly.

But until that point they just appeared miserable and defeated. Norwegian like other budget carriers, makes money by grinding personnel and other costs to dust. After observing the desultory manner in which the flight attendants executed their duties, I can't help but wonder if the argument that Norwegian registers in Ireland so they don't have to adhere to wage and other labor regulations and standards isn't true. These young folks (and they were all young, early thirties absolute max) were clearly miserable.

And don't look for the personnel on the ground to do much more than point you to where you yourself check your bag. I've seen more cheer among New York City subway workers than I did in this experience with Norwegian. But I admit, it might have been this particularly flight crew and this particular set of ground personnel.

But, you may ask, what difference does it make that the flight attendants weren't Cirque de Soleil gymnast happy? Wasn't the cheap fare worth the gloom?

My last minute, high season fare from Oslo to Oakland wasn't particularly bargain basement since I couldn't plan in advance. Perhaps if you can snag one of the ridiculously low fares offered in the dead of winter to say, Stockholm, when purchased well in advance, the lowness of the fare may outweigh the pain of the cramped seat, the absence of food or drink (unless you want to buy the outrageously expensive crap on offer), the second rate in flight entertainment selection, and the sadness of watching an attractive young flight crew drag themselves through the motions. Seriously, I could barely get them to give me a half filled cup of water once during the entire flight.

But again, as others have noticed, what is there to complain about? Come prepared with your neck brace, noise cancelling headphones, fully loaded Ipad or phone (there are outlets at each seat) plenty of food and water and you should be fine.

In fact I got rid of my excess Kroners and Euros buying up sandwiches, salads, candy nuts and water so I was well fed (though I could have used some water and a couple of drinks, but the alcohol sold on board was outrageously expensive). But nonetheless, I am one of those vacation travelers that finds the whole trip (packing, getting to the airport, the smell of jet fumes -- Norwegian boarded from the rear via the tarmac in Copenhagen so I got a lung full -- and the flight itself even in coach) enjoyable.

Norwegian, may have finally dispelled any notions I've clung to about the fun and excitement of vacation air travel (I'm not a road warrior for business to whom this all seems either quaint or ridiculous.)

And what is the big deal with the 787? I suppose the larger windows are nice. And my knees bit into the seat in front of me just as much as usual. The cabin looked just as threadbare as anything I've seen elsewhere.

All things considered, I probably wouldn't fly them again unless the difference in the fare is absolutely gargantuan. But if you come prepared for nothing at all from start to finish, and you don't encounter any of the horror stories involving cancelled flights and delays, then I suppose there are worse ways to spend 10 to 12 hours of your time.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:38 pm

It all makes sense now. I couldn't figure out what was going on on my flight from Oslo to Oakland when the flight attendants blew by me and didn't give me a chance to ask for a thimble full of water. In fact they never offered water to anyone who hadn't ordered a meal. You had to ask for it. If I were a student or otherwise travelling on a budget that required I save every cent, I might consider them again. But it's not likely.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: Yes
Hm, I don't know - there are plenty of things that can be leveraged against Norwegian, but the actual flight experience isn't something that I really took issue with.

In fact, it kind of had the opposite effect one me - do I really need to pay thousands of pounds for a business class seat to get some shiny badges, worthless points, equally variable crew, a Tesco Finest ready meal (if that) and a flat bed? Is the difference THAT great?

For me, I have decided that the legroom and more importantly shoulder room is potentially so bad that I can't fly them. But that's the case for any carrier and a 787 in economy. More importantly, the cancellations and customer service is something I can't risk again - it happens too frequently and could ruin even a holiday, let alone a business trip. It's okay short haul as you can work around things more easily, but not long-haul.

There definitely isn't a reason to fly them if they aren't cheaper - that's the whole point. You can get really expensive Ryanair flights too - I definitely wouldn't fly with them either if they weren't the only option at that price point.

But even though the 10 hours were fairly miserable, they did get us to two weeks of nice holiday, and they were dead cheap for us. Our US-based flight crews on the inaugural Gatwick flight and the return two weeks later were quite good, certainly better than some US legacy crew - but maybe they hadn't been worn down yet.

Food was edible and water forthcoming if you asked, although we had just stashed big bottles from WH Smiths in the hand luggage, along with some extra snacks. In fact, some of that worked out more convenient then having to wait for flight crew (or starving until the next food run). Some of that was an eyeopener to me as to how little you REALLY need.

The 787 was nothing to shout about in my opinion, but it was a new plane, which is unheard of on some routes and with some carriers.

So cancellation issues aside, if they were really cheap (which they are not most of the time) I don't think many people would mind and they are a good option to at least keep other carriers honest. Long may they continue...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I got me a free round trip to JFK for next year with DY. 'Free' as in, I've managed to save enough CashPoints due to a variety of offers to pay me a round trip.

I'm expecting nothing, have booked me 48 hours free after the trip (just in case) and am already planning on how to smuggle a warm pizza though hand luggage control. Tomato sauce and cheese grease are liquid, right?

Anyway, despite most of the stories above I am looking forward to this trip. Sure, if you pay peanuts, you attract monkeys. But it's not as if I've been overly happy with SK or UA on their direct routes from OSL to EWR. In this case I just expect to bring my own bottle in addition and fill it with water after security (free water is offered at OSL now). In this case, a regular revenue ticket would still be about half the price of those two. And in this case it's completely free for me, which makes complaining almost seem hypocrite... Nevertheless, if we get delayed so I can claim Eu compensation, then this will be the second time in my life that I've earned money to take a flight...

Will file a full trip report on return.

ps. Bjørn Kjos now has an offer to fly 24 legs short haul until December 31st, 2015 to get a free long haul trip. I think it's a great offer (just too bad I won't be flying that much on DY), so if you're flying DY short haul anyway, this might also be an option to experience the misery yourself without getting a financial hit in addition.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by UltraRant

ps. Bjørn Kjos now has an offer to fly 24 legs short haul until December 31st, 2015 to get a free long haul trip. I think it's a great offer (just too bad I won't be flying that much on DY), so if you're flying DY short haul anyway, this might also be an option to experience the misery yourself without getting a financial hit in addition.
Not a bad offer, and a return trip a month would be doable for quite a lot of people. I guess the purpose is to get business travelers to try the long haul option, and need to pick up an extra revenue ticket or two for the family? Not boosting shorthaul traffic...
Are there limits on the number of tickets you can get?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
So, the charges against Norwegian long haul in the above thread are that the seats are too close together in their 787, the FAs are grumpy but the plane is new. It sounds exactly like United Airlines, except that their FAs are grumpy and hostile and ancient. So the real difference is no food but, to be fair, Norwegian makes that abundantly clear.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:06 am

Given that Norwegian is now flying East Coast - French Overseas Departments, what are the chances and/or how soon will they start flights from LAX/OAK to Tahiti?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pafnyc
Given that Norwegian is now flying East Coast - French Overseas Departments, what are the chances and/or how soon will they start flights from LAX/OAK to Tahiti?
Is this a particularly lucrative route? I confess it would surprise me if it were a priority for DY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.