Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Budget Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

AirAsia Indonesia QZ8501 SUB to SIN reported missing 0724 Sun 28 Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous missing plane threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post here: OMNI: Search launched for missing AirAsia jet bound for Singapore from Indonesia)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

QZ8501 Moderator team: JDiver, cblaisd, Moderator2, starflyergold, armagebedar

Please note we have added a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) to the first post in this thread.

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

=========================================

AirAsia Indonesia has verified QZ8501 has reported missing with 162 aboard. Departed Surabaya, Indonesia 0532 local time, last contact with ATC 0714 local Singapore time / 0614 Western Indonesia Time Sunday, 28 Dec 2014. QZ8501 was due to arrive SIN 0837 local time.

Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia is on Western Indonesia Time (WIB), UTC +7.

Originally Posted by AirAsia Indonesia FaceBook page

AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24 (Surabaya LT) this morning. The flight took off from Juanda International Airport in Surabaya at 0535 hours.

Search and rescue operations are being conducted under the guidance of The Indonesia of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). AirAsia Indonesia is cooperating fully and assisting the investigation in every possible way.

The aircraft was on the submitted flight plan route and was requesting deviation due to en route weather before communication with the aircraft was lost while it was still under the control of the Indonesian Air Traffic Control (ATC).

The aircraft had undergone its last scheduled maintenance on 16 November 2014.

AirAsia has established an Emergency Call Centre that is available for family or friends of those who may have been on board the aircraft. The number is: +622129850801.
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I'm in Indonesia right now and local TV is reporting that an emergency exit door was located they are also showing a body in the water (blurred out).
Originally Posted by BBC 30 Dec 2014
Indonesian officials have confirmed that bodies and debris found in the Java Sea off Borneo are from AirAsia flight QZ8501 that went missing on Sunday, a statement by AirAsia says.

The AirAsia statement said the remains were found in the Karimata Strait, south-west of Pangkalan Bun in the Borneo province of Central Kalimantan.
Originally Posted by Aviation Herald
On Dec 31st 2014 the chairman of Indonesia's Search and Rescue Service stated in an evening press conference, that earlier reports about the fuselage having been located have been incorrect, the search is still ongoing, so far - referring to a report by CNN hitting global headlines - there are no sonar images of the fuselage as well. Correcting other media reports the chairman stressed that none of the bodies recovered so far was wearing a life vest. All valid information concerning QZ-8501 only and only comes from one source, namely the Search and Rescue Service which is currently in charge of the entire operation, the chairman stated with reference to the current information chaos.
AirAsia company profile: http://www.airasia.com/my/en/about-u...e-profile.page

AirAsia updates on QZ8501 http://qz8501.airasia.com/index.html

Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=47f6abc7

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30620647

Please do not post speculation or unconfirmed information in this wiki or thread.
Print Wikipost

AirAsia Indonesia QZ8501 SUB to SIN reported missing 0724 Sun 28 Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by PaulST
Yes, but many people around the world are going to google Air Asia and go to the Wiki article which states:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirAsia

I know that's what I did earlier this morning.
That page also says that the flight code for AirAsia is AK, not QZ.
A quick search of QZ shows it was Indonesia and the aircraft rego starting with PK, and not 9M, confirmed it.

Claiming this is AirAsia (AK/Malaysia) is like saying Qantas has a problem if a GK (Jetstar Japan) flight goes missing.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Indeed. 2 losses with MH is awful.

If you're referring to today, you're barking up the wrong tree. The plane was Indonesian. If Comair South Africa had an incident.. would you say British Airways was in trouble?
Wrong.

AirAsia group's hq is based in Malaysia. Indonesia AirAsia is a subsidiary. Yes, AirAsia Behad is a "minority owner". But its hard to swallow the fiction of the ultimate hq of the brand being not in Kuala Lumper.

Why bother with using the brand "AirAsia" if this subsidiary has no relations with the parent brand of AirAsia Malaysia? I don't buy this corporate arrangement fiction where the Malaysian parent brand has no influence or decision-making powers pertaining to its Indonesian subsidiary.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Dec 28, 2014 at 2:24 am
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:13 am

According to a media release by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, the Indonesian Government has accepted Singapore's offer to assist in search and locate efforts.

Media Release
28 DECEMBER 2014
TO: THE NEWS EDITOR
FOR IMMEDIATE RELASE
INDONESIA ACCEPTS SINGAPORE’S OFFER TO ASSIST
IN SEARCH AND LOCATE EFFORTS

28 December 2014, 4:00pm Local Time:- Indonesia has accepted Singapore’s offer to assist in the search and locate efforts of the missing Indonesia AirAsia aircraft, QZ8501.

The Singapore Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC), managed by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and supported by various agencies, including the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) and the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN), had offered assistance to BASARNAS, the Indonesian Search and Rescue Agency, at 0930 hours local time, this morning.

We have offered our planes and ships to assist in the search, and received confirmation from the Indonesian authorities this afternoon at 1430 hours to accept our offer, requesting for one C130 for now. We have already launched it to assist with the search and locate efforts.

The Indonesia AirAsia flight went missing this morning, more than 200 nautical miles southeast of the Singapore-Jakarta Flight Information Region boundary.

Further updates will be provided once more information is available.

------------------

Source:
http://www.caas.gov.sg/caas/en/index.html
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Wrong.

AirAsia group's hq is based in Malaysia. Indonesia AirAsia is a subsidiary, with AirAsia Behad a "minority owner". But its hard to pretend the fact that the ultimate hq of the corporate parent is not in Kuala Lumper.
Tony Fernandes has tweeted that he is on his way to Surabaya. There is no doubt that he is stepping up to take charge of the situation. AirAsia is after all his pride and joy.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:18 am

Up in the air on a Norwegian 737 reading this, horrible news.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:20 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Airbus statement

Airbus have released a statement offering the usual support to the BEA and investigating authorities.

Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:31 am

I don't want to belittle this tragic event or sound callous and indifferent, but given what happen to the MAS missing plane thread, I wonder if the mod could open a conspiracy/speculation thread. I bet its only a question of time before speculation and conspiracy theories start popping up, warnings being given or not.

So rather than have the mods waste time to delete all these posts, why not just create a thread for all the speculation and conspiracy theories and keep this thread as relatively "untainted", save all of us a lot time that way?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:33 am

Just read this from a local (Singapore) news site

4.40PM: The Jakarta Post has quoted an official from Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency as saying that flight QZ8501 is believed to have crashed at the location 03.22.46 South and 108.50.07 East, in waters around 80-100 nautical miles from Belitung.

According to Indonesia's Metro TV, the search will focus on the waters around South Borneo.

--------------------

Found this link to the Jakarta Post
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...s-reports.html
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Originally Posted by Himeno
That page also says that the flight code for AirAsia is AK, not QZ.
A quick search of QZ shows it was Indonesia and the aircraft rego starting with PK, and not 9M, confirmed it.

Claiming this is AirAsia (AK/Malaysia) is like saying Qantas has a problem if a GK (Jetstar Japan) flight goes missing.
Again, you're assuming the entire world are plane buffs. Your analogy would make sense if Jetstar was in fact called Qantas and the planes looked the same (but still had different flight numbers).
Let's compare the two:
A low-cost carrier AirAsia A320 painted in red, with paperwork from Malaysia and a different flight number.
A low cost carrier Air Asia A320 painted in red, with paperwork from Indonesia and a different flight number.

Yes, to the other 95% of the world, they're the same company. And before you talk about %s and stock markets...etc... Yes I know, you're right and they're not the same company, but most people will assume they are.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
So rather than have the mods waste time to delete all these posts, why not just create a thread for all the speculation and conspiracy theories and keep this thread as relatively "untainted", save all of us a lot time that way?
OMNI is for that. Please keep this thread clean.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
According to BBC,

The UK Foreign Office now confirms that a British national was on board missing AirAsia flight QZ8501. Next of kin has been informed, the Foreign Office says.

---

I think this clears up the inaccurate information being reported to ad nauseums that there were either a Briton or a French on the plane. There were one each, and not one of either.

Last edited by MeltingAlf; Dec 28, 2014 at 2:44 am Reason: Auto-correct incorrectly corrected.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by invisible
OMNI is for that. Please keep this thread clean.
Are you suggesting I am keeping this thread "dirty"?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:49 am

I woke up to this news and the first thing that came to mind was "not again!"
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It's very sad to hear about this missing aircraft. As someone who has flown with my family many times a year on AirAsia, I've always felt safe on their planes. There has been some pretty extreme weather this week in Java. Lots of rain and thunderstorms. Flooding in many areas.

I put my own adult daughter on a QZ flight to SIN less than 2 weeks ago.

I believe that all of the AirAsia subsidiaries have to be majority owned by investors in the operating country, to skirt foreign control laws. Same in the US, too. I find no difference in the service or planes. Whether a QZ, AK, or Thai version.

Most Of AirAsia's cheapest tickets are not easily changeable. I've thrown away 4 segments this year for family trips, because plans changed. I think this explains the high number of no shows.

This plane crash reminds me a bit of the AdamAir crash 5-6 years ago.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Are you suggesting I am keeping this thread "dirty"?
Yours was the first post that mentioned a conspiracy theore :-). Now let's please get back to the news and also stop calling this a Malasian tragedy. We alteady have enough ill informed reporters doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.